• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stardust

stardust

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking about hosting an absinthe tasting for some friends of mine, and I wonder if anyone has has some experience with this.

I've had a small tasting at my house back in 2008, where we tried Le Tourment Vert, Kübler, Lucid, and Leopold Bros. This time around I'm thinking of doing something a little more formal, like getting a large suite in DTLA. I want to have PF 1901, Nouvelle Orleans, Meadow of Love, Pacifique, Marteau, and maybe Vieux Pontarlier and Mansinthe.

Every professional tasting I've been to has either been at a distillery or hosted by a distiller, and they always serve it straight over ice with no sugar. I don't know too many people who drink absinthe like that.

Should I keep it intimate and just invite a few close friends and absinthe enthusiasts for free, or should I have a few more people and ask people to chip in? At most I wouldn't want more than 10 people, and I think 6-7 would be ideal.

How many absinthes should I have for a proper tasting? I can't imagine most people will be up for more than six, but what's your experience?

Also, has anyone considered doing an absinthe club in their area, where there's a bottle of the week?

#2 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

Not an absinthe club like that but yes. :devil:

Depending on the serving size I'd go for 4-6 absinthes at once. You want people to taste them all so I wouldn't have them as a whole glass. Otherwise drunken attitudes may come in to play.

Basically a small gathering of 4-6 people at my house to sample some of my collection and get their thoughts is always good research. So I just stick to close enthusiasts and friends, and keep it private. You can always ask people to chip in, however I'd make it a "donations are welcome" thing, not a requirement.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#3 stardust

stardust

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

Not an absinthe club like that but yes. :devil:

Depending on the serving size I'd go for 4-6 absinthes at once. You want people to taste them all so I wouldn't have them as a whole glass. Otherwise drunken attitudes may come in to play.

Basically a small gathering of 4-6 people at my house to sample some of my collection and get their thoughts is always good research. So I just stick to close enthusiasts and friends, and keep it private. You can always ask people to chip in, however I'd make it a "donations are welcome" thing, not a requirement.

That's a good idea about the "donations are welcome" thing. My friends are pretty generous - last year I received two bottles of Vieux Pontarlier and and bottle of Mansinthe for my birthday, so I think they'd be open to a voluntary donation.

Thanks!

#4 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:22 AM

I'll expand upon this more later today, as I do tastings practically weekly, but if you're looking at 4-6 people (and assuming they are all pretty interested in absinthe already, and assuming you don't want all costs to come out of your pocket) I suggest having each person bring a bottle.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association