• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#31 Mat B.

Mat B.

The Gentleman of Verona

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

Welcome Jeff! Trust me, no one really wants to bust-balls just for ole’ sakes sake; poke around here and you’ll get both breadth and depth of knowledge from the pro’s. All things absinthe. Hell, that’s why I joined.
"I will show you something different from either Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
-The Waste Land

“…and it’s appropriate to serve them, as long as you serve them appropriately.”
-Jules

#32 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

It's like the drinking version of Sesame Street for college kids.

Although I did find a lot of useful information in the "Sealing the one night stand" article.

:laugh: Damn, too bad I'm married...

Jeff, I took a closer look at your site, and no offense, but I'm with Gwydion on this one.

It seems geared for the "party-til-you-puke" frat boy mind-set. Nothing against having a good time in your college-age years, I know I sure did!
But it's the mind-set you hopefully grow out of by the time you're ready to graduate and step out into the real world, else you may be destined for a stint or two in rehab before you're through.
If you want to get "high", smoke a joint. Don't expect to "trip ballz" with authentic absinthe, just enjoy it. And don't try to sell it as something it's not.
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#33 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:14 PM

Jeff, thanks for showing up on the board and offering a re-write. As you probably understand we see this kind of thing all too much and usually it goes on without anything happening. Lots of people make too much money off of wanna-be drug addicts to change their tune.

The fact that you came here is awesome! Especially after our rampage of comments. It shows a level of character not often seen in my peers, and I toast to that. :cheers:

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#34 sicknight

sicknight

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

^ Thanks, I appreciate it.

It seems geared for the "party-til-you-puke" frat boy mind-set. Nothing against having a good time in your college-age years, I know I sure did!

Haha yeah we're certainly not aiming for the older crowd. I'm 26 and married, I own the website but only write sometimes. Most of the writers are frat guys, etc. So you're dead on with the synopsis.

I own a bunch of domains/websites and of course the one I didn't take serious and started as a joke ended up being one of the most popular.

I didn't even know we had a lucid absinthe review until someone mentioned it, one of the other writers wrote it.

I can see why it would be frustrating to fight an image/stereotype for so long then to see what I posted. I should have dug deeper. I did research for the article but after a second look, I realized the websites I found the info on were making the same mistake I made or just didn't care.

If anyone wants to write the article like I mentioned just email support@sicknight.com and i'll make the switch and credit. I'll put a wormwood society banner up as well if provided.

thanks again

Jeff
Sicknight.com
Happiest when travelling, travelling costs money. I've found that money does buy happiness.

#35 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

:thumbup:
:cheerz: Thanks Jeff!

#36 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

It's nice to meet someone who IS willing to be open to the facts. There is so much nonsense out there, that damages absinthe, and slows its comeback in many ways. You will meet a few very experienced folks here, and
a well-written article about proper absinthe prep, and FAQs will both educate and inform your readers. Kudos for taking the time to introduce yourself and be honorable!

#37 Mat B.

Mat B.

The Gentleman of Verona

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:41 PM

If anyone wants to write the article like I mentioned just email support@sicknight.com and i'll make the switch and credit.

I have a feeling Brian will take care of this one ;)
"I will show you something different from either Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
-The Waste Land

-Jules

#38 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:46 PM

After having learned a little more about how the internet works, and specifically about SEO (search engine optimization) since I first joined WS a couple of years ago, I'm going to have to play the devil's advocate here and say that no one involved with Sicknight really cares about absinthe, nor indeed about any fine liquors (shocking, I know, given the domain name), but are instead merely trying to boost their pagerank (which is currently fairly low, at 3/10) and unique site hits so that they can make a little more money.

Mind you, from my Western civilization point of view there's nothing inherently wrong with that. If they're willing to post an article and a WS banner, there's certainly a value in that as well. But I'd hate to see any of my WS friends here wasting too much time on contributing something to a site that I feel fairly certain has not sought to (and never will) be a worthy resource of anything worthwhile, because the interest and care from the Sicknight site administrators simply isn't there. (Not counting their interest in having you provide them with free content, of course).

This is not a personal attack, and I say this completely without animosity. A frat boy and his money are soon parted, so they should have at it if that's where they feel the pursuit of their 80 or so years on this planet are best spent. Nonetheless, I would encourage the rest of you here to not visit the site and simply let it decay on its own.

tl;dr "Pearls before swine. Ignore sicknight altogether".

#39 sicknight

sicknight

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

After having learned a little more about how the internet works, and specifically about SEO (search engine optimization) since I first joined WS a couple of years ago, I'm going to have to play the devil's advocate here and say that no one involved with Sicknight really cares about absinthe, nor indeed about any fine liquors (shocking, I know, given the domain name), but are instead merely trying to boost their pagerank (which is currently fairly low, at 3/10) and unique site hits so that they can make a little more money.

Mind you, from my Western civilization point of view there's nothing inherently wrong with that. If they're willing to post an article and a WS banner, there's certainly a value in that as well. But I'd hate to see any of my WS friends here wasting too much time on contributing something to a site that I feel fairly certain has not sought to (and never will) be a worthy resource of anything worthwhile, because the interest and care from the Sicknight site administrators simply isn't there. (Not counting their interest in having you provide them with free content, of course).

This is not a personal attack, and I say this completely without animosity. A frat boy and his money are soon parted, so they should have at it if that's where they feel the pursuit of their 80 or so years on this planet are best spent. Nonetheless, I would encourage the rest of you here to not visit the site and simply let it decay on its own.

Maybe you should try learning some more.

Say what you want, but it's pretty obvious you have no idea what you're talking about. I started sicknight.com almost ONE year ago. It's since reached over 80k unique visitors a month, and awarded a PR3 (very rare for unaged domain). I don't see where you get off saying it would be pointless when the majority of the members of this site are beating the "educate about absinthe" drum. Whatever article is written would be read at a minimum of 400-500 unique times a day. Our Alexa ranking is top 200k in the world. Also if you knew anything like you claim, you would know that Google PR doesn't even matter in the first place, yet we still have a very respectable one.

I'm guessing you missed the part about sicknight.com ranking #1 or top 3 in google for all those terms. I could list out around 50 terms we dominate.

The fact that someone found that absinthe article on sicknight.com and posted it on these forums alone proves how wrong you are.

The one thing that rings loud and clear on these forums since I joined has been the actual passion the members seem to have about absinthe and it's image. How would writing an article that WILL be top 3 in google for "best absinthe" not be worth while, when that article will be spreading the correct message.. your message.

Also your assumptions of me being a frat boy and parting from money are pretty funny. I was in the Navy, and completed my degree overseas(never in a frat). I could list out my current assets and compare but i'm not trying to ruin your day.

I've been on different forums for years and have thick skin, but your ignorance about my ignorance really rubs me the wrong way.

Jeff
Sicknight.com

Edited by sicknight, 21 August 2011 - 05:25 PM.

Happiest when travelling, travelling costs money. I've found that money does buy happiness.

#40 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:42 PM

Believe me Jay, we've spent a lot more time on a lot more worthless sites than Jeff's. Hell, look through all of the work we put into Rend Fou. What a crap shoot that was.

The rest of the site might not have information tha would appeal to many of us (several of the top 10 lists are face palm worthy to anyone who enjoys good spirits), but it would be good to at least have the absinthe page be accurate. I see no downside to putting in a little effort into that.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#41 sicknight

sicknight

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

^ I swear you guys aren't reading the articles and just scanning the top 10 lists.

Every top 10 list states that it's for the major brands and easy to find at your local store.

We chose against adding in hard to find whiskey brands and completed the list with Whiskey you can purchase within a quick drive. The list still has some whiskies that will require a little searching, though.

I would love to see you argue better spirits for those top 10 lists fitting the criteria

Edited by sicknight, 21 August 2011 - 06:02 PM.

#42 Cletus

Cletus

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

Think Jeff deserves credit for signing up and asking for someone to give a correct article

#43 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:28 PM

Sicknight, thanks for showing up and being honest. Far better than most who have published absinthe. I've only been here for half a year, and have been impressed with how much these guys know about absinthe and other fine spirits. The knowledge here is based on historical research, scientific research, tasting hundreds of products new and ancient, making spirits, etc. I would hope a well written article by someone like Gwydion, Joe, Brian, Ted or Oxy would not only make you popular, but also a purveyor of accurate education.

#44 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

I would love to see you argue better spirits for those top 10 lists fitting the criteria

I wouldn't put it past him. Brian knows his shit.

Think Jeff deserves credit for signing up and asking for someone to give a correct article

Very much agreed.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#45 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:56 PM

I wouldn't put it past him. Brian knows his shit.

What he said.

Jeff, it's good you stopped in! You should get a hold of the Mutineer Magazine guys here or over at their site. It sounds like you have lots of similar interests in booze. You may even consider writing articles for them, as Brian does.

I'll always respect a guy who owns up and is sincere to get it right! There's literally a mountain of information here, and lots of folks who can help. And that not jut absinthe related. Quite naturally, many of the folks here are drinks and spirits aficionados. And we're always happy to welcome more.

Cheers, bud.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#46 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:12 PM

^ I swear you guys aren't reading the articles and just scanning the top 10 lists.

Every top 10 list states that it's for the major brands and easy to find at your local store.

I've read a good deal of the site since first seeing the article, so I'm fairly well informed. But there's no need to be defensive, I was actually being supportive in my last post.

You obviously don't shop at the same liquor store that I do. :devil:

But in all seriousness, and with absolutely no malice aforethought or insult intended, I'm pretty sure I could come up with better top 10s for most of the lists that are on that site, just off the top of my mind. The only issue I have with it is the target audience. If the demographic is mainly chug-it-down college kids, then they probably wouldn't care about what whiskies are in the top 10. I don't know many college kids who buy alcohol based on it's quality and depth of flavor. I remember lots of parties replete with Beast Ice, Natty Boh, MD 20/20, Captain Morgan, and Boones Farm though. ;)

In any case, I'm very happy to work with you to put up an informative, yet captivating article on absinthe for your site. And I most certainly applaud you for coming here to address our concerns about your first article.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#47 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

That guy Brian... too cool, and a gentleman. :cheers:

#48 DesertWolf

DesertWolf

Absinthe Geek

• Content Team
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

And I most certainly applaud you for coming here to address our concerns about your first article.

I agree :thumbup:
I start to feel like I am in an existentialist play written by a person with multiple personality disorder...

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." -- Philip K. Dick

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart." -- ee cummings

#49 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:01 AM

... it's pretty obvious you have no idea what you're talking about...

:laugh:
Welcome to the Forum, Jeff. I hope you hang around for a while. I'm sure we won't agree on everything but I enjoy your style.

#50 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:34 AM

Agreed!

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#51 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,343 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:16 AM

What they said! :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#52 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:55 PM

Welcome to the forum Jeff! I as well commend you on coming by here to make things right. :cheerz: There's lots of great info on absinthe and also other spirits on this site. Check out the What are you drinking tonight? topic. I think you'll find that interesting and it would be great in you stuck around.

#53 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

The biggest problem I have with top ten lists or lists in general is that it will be personal. Jade NO is a personal favorite of mine but there are plenty on this board who would agree or absolutely disagree with me in a heartbeat. It's in my top five and wouldn't even rank in the top twenty to some.

Not to mention at the top five it's really hard to put them in an order.

There is already a top ten list for absinthe on this board. As you can see not all are the same, and even change over time as more CO absinthe becomes available.

The more correct info there is out there, the better. Who cares about page rank or anything? Any chance to get more actual information instead of misinformation, on any subject, is a win in my book.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#54 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:39 PM

it would be great in you stuck around.

exactly how would that be accomplished? I guess you would have to start with a printout and roll it up...?
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#55 Mat B.

Mat B.

The Gentleman of Verona

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

Zing!! ;)
-The Waste Land

-Jules

#56 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,309 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

Paging Doctor Jellyfinger......

#57 sicknight

sicknight

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:50 AM

No one sent a story, so I did my best to edit the current one and add a link to wormwood society for further top 10 lists

http://sicknight.com/best-absinthe/

that article is now:

top 5 in google for:

best absinthe
top absinthe
top absinthe brands
best absinthe brands (top 10)

Seems like your message on absinthe should be read by loads of people ;)

Yeah not to kick a dog while he's done, but Jay was very very wrong.

#58 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:56 AM

Still working on an article. Some of us have very busy day jobs (and young children at home) as well as volulnteering for the WS. ;)

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#59 sicknight

sicknight

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:00 AM

No excuses Brian! I'm a full time business intelligence consultant, own two side companies, 75 websites, and still in the Navy reserve. I also have my 12 week old son and wife!

We should all have a pity party!

just busting your balls ;)

Edited by sicknight, 23 August 2011 - 07:00 AM.

#60 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:08 AM

You don't want to go down the 'I'm busier than you' road. Really. You don't. :)

No pity party. I just didn't think you were expecting a 2 day turnaround for an article that you'd expect to be well thought out and structured since it would be coming from the WS.

But in all seriousness, I'll try to get something to you tomorrow or Thursday.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association