Sign in to follow this  
Muse De France

Absinthe de Vichy

I may have been hasty.

I just noticed you weren't from around this area.

If you could navigate to the newcomers section and introduce yourself with your own thread.....we will welcome you properly.

:cheers:

very fresh and light.... Like VICHY

Those are certainly different descriptors than the ones I remember from my political science major days. :laugh: ;)

I may have been hasty.

I just noticed you weren't from around this area.

If you could navigate to the newcomers section and introduce yourself with your own thread.....we will welcome you properly.

Done, Monsieur OMG_Bill

very fresh and light.... Like VICHY

Those are certainly different descriptors than the ones I remember from my political science major days. :laugh: ;)

Yes, i know, it is the misfortune of this small city of 30 000 peoples.... Only 4 years of its history.

It was more history of Paris than Vichy, because the Gouvernement de Vichy was the Gouvernement de Paris (France) moved on Vichy..... Very handy for Paris after the WWII to throw shame on this very small town...

The REAL VICHY is 2000 years of history, and was the first SPA city of all europ during the Absinthe period.

And perhaps that wifes of your family are using cosmetics of VICHY without to think about WWII ??? No ?

Napoleon III is not too popular on this side of the Atlantic (I wouldn't think he would be very popular there), so you might have to do some mild re-branding there.

Napoleon III invaded Mexico taking advantage of the ongoing American Civil War and installed an idiot puppet 'emperor' with the purpose of diminishing USA influence in the hemisphere. OK, so he did re-vamp Paris, but overall he is far less admired than the original Napoleon. Napoleon Bonaparte would make a good absinthe brand. Or maybe for USA consumption, Lafayette.

Some of us admire profiteers, so profit away, as long as the products are good.

??

While some do not like people selling there products, some of us do like to see good products being sold.

Napoleon III is not too popular on this side of the Atlantic (I wouldn't think he would be very popular there), so you might have to do some mild re-branding there.

Napoleon III invaded Mexico taking advantage of the ongoing American Civil War and installed an idiot puppet 'emperor' with the purpose of diminishing USA influence in the hemisphere. OK, so he did re-vamp Paris, but overall he is far less admired than the original Napoleon. Napoleon Bonaparte would make a good absinthe brand. Or maybe for USA consumption, Lafayette.

Napoleon III built a large part of VICHY,

and we have a nice laws from him, especially for VICHY : Stores can open 7 days on the week, all the year.

Yes, he wasn't a warrior : I made war with england against China (that destroyed the "Chinese Versailles", made disastrous war in Mexico, and made war with Germany (his last one !!).....

But most of french gold coins have his face. France was rich during this period.

I did not think that Americans saw the Mexican War as an insult.

Mexico was already lost for the United States, no?

- otherwise, just the United States to open the border with Mexico, I'm sure a lot of Mexicans will be happy to correct this outrage and to become American -

So, OK, "Napoleon III", very bad brand for USA, Mexico, and China .... :-(

Yes, i know, it is the misfortune of this small city of 30 000 peoples.... Only 4 years of its history.

Indeed.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Now, if you don't mind, I'll get back to this absolutely delightful bow of Vichyssoise, the perfect antidote for warm weather. :laugh: :cheers:

...I did not think that Americans saw the Mexican War as an insult.

Mexico was already lost for the United States, no?

- otherwise, just the United States to open the border with Mexico, I'm sure a lot of Mexicans will be happy to correct this outrage and to become American -

So, OK, "Napoleon III", very bad brand for USA, Mexico, and China .... :-(

Napoleon's III intent was to diminish influence of the USA in the Americas vis-a-vis 'proper' monarchies. He timed the invasion so that the USA would be too busy to interfere. At that time the USA already had gained lots of former Mexican land. The funny thing is that when the USA intervined after the civil war by aiding Juarez, Napoleon III abandoned Maximillian to be shot.

Just put some tape over the III before shipping overseas. :) The label is not as important anyway, but the contents.

....some of us still support Napoleon III's venture into Mexico.....

......just imagine another France, but on this side of the Atlantic..... nice!

Strongly disagree! Anyhoo, Maximillian was not French, but he was a monarch ruling over a former democracy. Beyond that I would be violating forum rules. Haiti, Lebanon, and Vietnam, are all good examples of French colonies.

Viva Juarez!

Strongly disagree! Anyhoo, Maximillian was not French, but he was a monarch ruling over a former democracy. Beyond that I would be violating forum rules. Haiti, Lebanon, and Vietnam, are all good examples of French colonies.

Viva Juarez!

Perhaps we can think that Napoleon III and France did nothing good for Mexico....

This period has been so short. (1861/1867)

But, we are sure that USA didn't made a lot better, Mexico is still so poor !

And do you think that USA have brought peace in Haiti, Lebanon, Vietnam ? Are these countries better now, after USA interventions ?

If you think to have the true, you won ! Myself, i am sure to not have the true....

I think that it is better to speak only Absinthe inside the forum, no ?

Ok, i understood that the label Napoleon III is bad for USA, thanks for the infos, i did not think that Napoleon III was even known to American, my mistake.... :-(

Viva Juarez!

i did not think that Napoleon III was even known to American, my mistake.... :-(

He isn't.

It is just that Americans who are absinthe drinkers are more likely to know a little more about French history and historic persons than most. History is what attracted many to the drink in the first place.

Questions:

Are your brands named for an absinthe RECIPE for that time? Say a recipe that was developed in the time of 3rd Republic, Bourbons, Boneparte?

I like the idea myself.

...Phil, is correct. in other words, why discuss all this hispanic heritage history bullshit on this forum??

..........let's just discuss absinthe......... :cheers:

..............plus i don't believe any absinthe drinker is going to not buy a bottle of good absinthe because of the name...........

Questions:

Are your brands named for an absinthe RECIPE for that time? Say a recipe that was developed in the time of 3rd Republic, Bourbons, Boneparte?

I like the idea myself.

Yes, you are right.

Probleme is that very old recipes (1800/1820) , are often too strong in Artemisia Absinthium to be legal with europeen laws... you can not make them without cheating, it is better to make these one yourself, in your own kitchen !

VICHY recipe is coming from a distiller's manuscrit book from Oran (French Algeria) around 1930/1956. It should be a clandestine recipe. It is strange recipe, between Absinthe, pastis and anisette. It use plants like Sassafra (wood !), liquorice, anis star, sugar...

It is an Absinthe because it contains Anis + Fennel + Artemisia Absinthium, but i never saw this recipe in old books. It is a "modern" absinthe recipe. Fun ...

I named it Absinthe de VICHY, because it is very light, it is good for a spa town. (I will not name it "Absinthe de Oran".... I think that nobody is drinking Absinthe in Algeria now.)

But i don't think that real Absinthe amateurs will love it, perhaps too light !

Ah! Are you the one who helped develop Boggysinthe? Those bottles look similar to his.

Yes, i made the Boggy Absinthe.

And i thank Boggy for his help and for sharing his knowledge.

Again, i am not here to speak political,

just Absinthe....

Boggy is Boggy, but he has serious knowledge in Absinthe history and making.

After, be free to speak political with him, but in private.

So are we OK with Napoleon III, Vichy, Boggy ?

Can we speak Absinthe now ??

I was more curious than anything else. Have you had much trouble shipping bottles to the United States?

If i send by one bottle, none probleme (packet less than 2 Kg)

Recently, one packet came back in France because US customs, with 2 bottles (more than 2 Kg), i had to resend them one by one (2 packets).... It is first time i had this probleme.

Perhaps because crisis, or terrorist threat, US customs are more effective ???

I would worry if several packets come back....

Could be any of those but most likely it's some legal shipping issues and licensing. You may want to look into using an importer if you plan on doing a lot of business in the U.S.

American laws (or most laws) can be a rat's nest sometimes.

You may want to look into using an importer if you plan on doing a lot of business in the U.S.

For this present time, all my makings are prohibited for USA, I am more than 10 ppm Tujone.

Often around 25/30 ppm....

Maximum for Europ is 35ppm

And i would be happy to work with 50ppm,

or 100 ppm to make very old recipes ! :twitchsmile: