Sign in to follow this  
Improvidius

Secondary Effects: Verte vs. Blanche

From what I know about distillation, an absinthe containing any relevant amount of methanol would be basically so bad that it couldn't get any worse. If methanol makes it through the preparation of the base spirit and the distillation of the absinthe itself as well, then both processes must have been done with incompetence. It's not at all impossible though; I only find it unlikely. I mean, how come somebody without any idea about proper distillation makes la Bleue in Val-de-Travers? Letting methanol in is like the most serious flaw possible during distillation.

(I'm not a distiller myself, but since home distillation of fruit brandy and unregistered stills are now legal in my country, and knowledge about it is being spread, I've picked up quite a bit on boards from advanced distillers. I'm sure we've got some experts here, so please correct me if I'm wrong.)

methanol is one of many alcohols produced in a fermentation. it evaporates at a lower temperature than ethanol, so it should actually be in the head, not the tail. It's standard procedure--even amongst the old moonshiners--to toss the first little bit of the run or at least store it separately. propanol and Butanol would be more likely to make it to the tails due to its higher evaporation temp. Either way, making judicious cuts will effectively eliminate that consideration and result in a base that is free of the alcohols we don't want. Additionally, if commercial alcohol is used by an amateur in his kitchen or wherever as a base, it has already been processed for human consumption, so this should not be an issue as well.

And actually, there should be no difference in secondary effects from verte to blanche; one could make a blanche with plenty of complexity by using more herbs in the recipe. many vertes start from a distillation of the big 3(holy Trinity) and then more herbs are added later; there are many blanche recipes with a dozen or more ingredients. So the issue of secondaries is still tied into the actual recipe and process and not style of absinthe, as this thread's title seems to imply.

one could make a blanche with plenty of complexity by using more herbs in the recipe

True. I hadn't considered that. A green absinthe doesn't necessarily have more herbs. It would typically have two not included in even the most complex blanche, however.

I prefer variety, and rotate which bottle I indulge from every day.

... Except on my vacation, where we did enjoy killing half a bottle of Sauvage in 3 days.

...one could make a blanche with plenty of complexity by using more herbs in the recipe.

BDF is the prime commercial example. As I recall, it contains as many as thirteen, or close to that number.

Of course, fewer would probably have sufficed.

I actually really like BdF or Enigma or whatever it's called. In the minority I seem to be.

I also like to rotate my selection, unless I am really on a roll. I've been on a Pacifique roll for a couple years now and a Ridge roll for a few months. But sometimes a guy's just gotta hit something different for whatever reason. It's funny, because I don't really worry about that with beer after having researched it for a couple of decades--as long as what I want is available.

We shall see how I am with absinthe in 10 more years.. :cheers:

After having researched that beer phenomenon for over four decades, I'm feelin' that comment.

As to absinthe, I'm hoping that over the next ten years, commercial offerings will continue to narrow the extant gap existing between them, and the best of the HGs. :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe

The problem with moonshining (HG) would be the lack of Quality Assurance. Many are very good at it, some are absolutely brilliant at it, but with out some QA, there is a possibility of some idiot screwing it up badly. HG whisky ocatioanly end up with people in the hospital, albeit a very small minority. I know If I just went at it, I would be a major health hazard.

In short, even if it is legal in your area (congrats to your government for understanding freedom) when it comes to HG, know your sources well.

Yes, it's certainly true. I just wanted to point out that a bleue containing methanol would taste so dreadful (due to a paint thinner-smelling base spirit plus a flawed distillation with herbs) that most people wouln't drink 4 glasses of it without mentioning how disgusting it was :)

methanol is one of many alcohols produced in a fermentation. it evaporates at a lower temperature than ethanol, so it should actually be in the head, not the tail. It's standard procedure--even amongst the old moonshiners--to toss the first little bit of the run or at least store it separately. propanol and Butanol would be more likely to make it to the tails due to its higher evaporation temp. Either way, making judicious cuts will effectively eliminate that consideration and result in a base that is free of the alcohols we don't want. Additionally, if commercial alcohol is used by an amateur in his kitchen or wherever as a base, it has already been processed for human consumption, so this should not be an issue as well.
Yes, that's why I find methanol unlikely. Anyone with a still (well, almost anyone) knows that – at the very least – the first bit has to be discarded. I've heard of many moonshiner-wannabes who know nothing but that.

Most here will not admit that absinthe has secondary effects. Good luck getting a real answer.

FYI, I've noticed more secondary effects from blanches as well. Not sure what the reason is.

Most here will not admit that absinthe has secondary effects. Good luck getting a real answer.

What a ridiculous lie.

Amen to what Absomphe and Peridot said. The only psychoactive effect I feel is from the ethanol, no different if I had drank a nice pint of bitter beer, or a tumbler of Glen Morangie whisky aged in Sherry Casks. I miss spent enough of my life during the 1980s to know if there is something else there.

I've experienced secondaries with absinthe, but I don't anymore because I've had a thousand or more glasses. Last time I remember having the "lucid drunk" was late 2007 or early 2008.

The consensus here has been pretty consistent: secondaries are completely subjective. Some experience them and some do not. For those who do, there's variation from person to person as to which brands cause them and how intense they are. It's not really worth going on about because for most of us it's a minor aspect of drinking absinthe compared to the flavour and appearance. The effect itself is not awesome enough to justify buying $100 booze unless you really love the drink for its intended qualities as well.

To twist this into some sort of "secondary denial" thing is a deliberate lie that calls the honesty and integrity of WS into question.

On second thought, sure, maybe we're all just keeping information from newcomers. Because there's no possible way anyone could find out on their own, right?

Keep smoking that wormwood, douche. I guess all of the info on the main site addressing the presence of secondary effects is simply not there at all. We discuss it in the book, we discuss it in the blogs, and we discuss it here. Some people feel slight effects. Many others feel very little if anything at all. No one hallucinates or trips. People like you desperately WANT absinthe to be something other than what it really is. Come back to reality.

Seriously, you show up like once every three months, say something that is completely contradictory to everything that's been said since the last time you visited, then disappear again.

Very productive member, you are.

I trip out more from listening to the great gig in the sky, than from drinking herbal booze of any kind.

The only side effects toclutching a bottle hlaf full of Sauvage for a week was a hole in my wallet, and a lot of people being nice to me with glasses in their hands.

After the following clown comments:

I trip out more from listening to the Great Gig in the Sky, than from drinking herbal booze of any kind.

The only side effects to clutching a bottle half filled with Sauvage for a week was, a hole in my wallet and a lot of people being nice to me with glasses in their hands.

The windoze peecee here at the labor place doesn't have auto correct, and foruming on the slide makes me gaff prone.

Edited by Miguel

Your spelling/typing in the above post belies its content. :tongue:

Unless, of course, you weren't drinking absinthe at the time...but then there are also the cumulative secondaries to consider. :laugh: :cheers:

FYI, I've noticed more secondary effects from blanches as well. Not sure what the reason is.

I was experimenting with lucid drinking and such when I didn't even know absinthe. I've managed to achieve completely different states of mind drinking the same non-herbal things. I also expected some effects from absinthe, but they've never got anywhere near the 'effects' I could make up on my own. Had you drunk brandy with added thujone and such, you'd never tell it wasn't plain brandy. It's all about expectations, excitement and such. After a few glasses of booze, I feel whatever I'd really like to.

The power of suggestion is an amazing thing. I like absinthe and the only thing resembling secondaries are I don't fall a sleep like I do with vodka, I don't get hurt or go to jail like Tequila and I'm terribly comfortable drinking absinthe.

See you in a few months zzzzzzz

The windoze peecee here at the labor place doesn't have auto correct, and foruming on the slide makes me gaff prone.

Eye understanned cumpleatlee. :shifty:

I find the secondary effect to too much alcohol is a trip to Taco Bell and over sleeping and too much credence to philosophical sundries that make less sense in the morning, but the occasions that they make sense in the morning makes me doubt the cause and effect and do it again.