So a friend of mine had a bottle of Hills, and I just had to try it to really see if it's really that bad. My Lord! It was the worst thing that has ever desecrated my mouth. My curiosity finally got the better of me. Has anyone had similar experiences or am I the only idiot here? :puke:

And it's better for you than swallowing sand!

Hey Hiram, about the Staro... they have that spoon with the all-seeing-eye, actually a better design than the La Fée "eye" spoon, but not as well made. But this causes vague flickers of memory to spark, regarding other uses of this image in absinthiana.

Any others come to your mind?

post-209-1132905780.gif

The spoon that Leone provides with their bottles is vaguely similar, but it's not really an eye, just rays coming out from the center. I can't think of any others, but I'm not a spoon expert. Which ones do you have there?

I tried Fruko Schulz a few years back, and also tried Hill's, just out of curiosity. Schulz was actually worse than Hill's, although both literally tasted like some kind of poisonous chemical. I only had one sip of each, gagged and poured them out, which dismayed my Turkish friend who had brought the bottles along to try and impress me. Then I gave him some Un Emile (best there was at the time), and he said "Oh!", and never drank Hill's again.

Oh, I wasn't really asking about spoons. I was asking about appearances of the all-seeing eye in absinthe culture. So far all I can point to are these spoons ( left to right, Staroplzenecky, La Fée, and something called Palirna. I just have the spoons, not the two weirdosinths )

But I have a nagging feeling I've seen the eye elsewhere in absinthe stuff, in an ad, or a drawing, or on an obscure label. I just remember that when I saw the La Fée label for the first time, it seemed natural to me to see the eye there, as if I'd seen it before in absinthiana.

My ex recently returned from a trip to Athens.

It seems her latest boyfriend is a Delta baggage handler, so free tickets.

She presented me with a souvenir, proudly saying "I bought you Absinthe!"

The unfamiliar label on the 4 dram bottle was printed too tiny to be read without a magnifying glass.

The color was of mint Listerine, still I said, "Thanks".

Later I was able to read "Fruko Schulz" on it. Never heard of it.

I Googled it and there it was on La Fee's website:

"Absinthesizer scores Fruko-Schulz Absinth 18 out of 100" Considering the source, no wonder.

"Holy crap", I thought. I'm not going to open it.

Still, I did enjoy many of the reactions I've read from the brave souls who actually tried it.

I think I'll order some Pacifique or Marteau and try to forget this unfortunate experience.

Later I was able to read "Fuckin' Shillz"™ * on it. Never heard of it.

*Edited for clarity

Reading that label certainly would've had me cringing in horror.

That stuff's in a league with Elixier. :blowup:

Nice bump, btw. :cheers:

The half-life is estimated to be only 14 billion years.

Mostly, because no one wants to drink that glowly blue/green shit.

:laugh: I'll admit to having a bottle of Hill's I picked up in Canada. Still have it, though I haven't touched it in a long, long time. Except maybe to dust it now & then. I keep it around for the novelty; I know it is the first, last, and only bottle of that swill I will ever buy. I haven't really come up with a good use for it yet.

A friend gave the opportunity to sample Hills recently, since I'd never had a Czech fake absinthe before (the closest I'd tried was LTV). The bubblegum/mouthwash flavor wasn't good, but I found the nasty base alcohol especially gross.

Mat's Hills looks quite a bit greener than the blue stuff I had. Too bad the new version is probably almost as gross as the old version.

Oh, I wasn't really asking about spoons. I was asking about appearances of the all-seeing eye ..... But I have a nagging feeling I've seen the eye elsewhere ... in an ad, or a drawing, or on an obscure label. I just remember that when I saw the La Fée label for the first time, it seemed natural to me to see the eye there.

The back of a US dollar bill? Which reminds me of the story I've heard from a few sources now. The TTB apparently turned down the La Fée label because of the all-seeing eye. La Fée showed them that the all-seeing eye was on a dollar bill, and the TTB promptly approved it.

The bottle I have in the picture is a gift.

It spells Absinthe normally on the bottle not the way they usually do Absinth it looks to be imported thru B.C. It has the strong smell of Vodka in the glass.

Whats worse is a server at the local ABsinthe bar said it was her favorite?????

When I am having a beer or 2 and want to up my "Buzz" a little I have been known to pass over my better bottles and just swig a little half shot with a splash of water down,,,ZINGGGG,

Any one want to trade samples hahahaha.

I am sure there is someone out there with a good pre-ban that wants the Hills experience :cheerz:

Edited by mattsback