Sign in to follow this  
Garrett

Spoon Holder....

I have been bitten really bad by the absinthe bug and have been starting my collection of compliments and stumbled upon this... It appears legit to my untrained eye (has a hallmark and show wear), but the welding has me a bit worried as I don't know if that was a practice during the Belle Époque. I have searched many forums and cannot see any picture of the base of spoon holders or any details on the matter. Any thoughts from a more knowledgeable member than I?

spoonholder.jpg

I imagine that, in the 19th/early 20th century as today, there was a wide spectrum in terms of the quality level for anything, including absinthe, absinthe spoons, and absinthe spoon holders. I'm not certain that the presence of welding proves or disproves anything, but in any event, I do have a vintage spoon holder which I purchased from a trustworthy source (Hi Marc!), and I took a picture of the base for you in case you'd like to compare.

vintagespoonholderbase.jpg

Thanks for the picture Jay. :cheers: I also just got a shipment from Marc (good segue to also say thanks such excellent grillagee and Maison Arthaud spoons!). Yours does seem to show much more wear... makes me wonder even a bit more as this is not a trustworthy source. hmmmmmm.... damn risk of fakes.

Aha, so it's likely you that bought that Grillage 2 recently that I was mulling over myself. And interestingly, I too recently bought a Maison Arthaud spoon as well. Great minds think alike, and so do ours ;)

Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in with more info about spoon holders. I'm not personally aware of any having been hallmarked, but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't have been, even if the spoons themselves may have lent themselves as better tools for advertising due to the sheer number of them which would have been floating around.

No doubt it has been repaired, and you need to look up the hallmarks, one will be the manufacturer and the other should be the material it is made from. But then even hallmarks are faked now.

Indeed that was me Jay! Its a wonderful spoon :twitchsmile: and if your mind is fixated on topettes now then that would be very freaky (cause thats my new obsession).

Thanks for the info Rob. Ill try and dig up some more info in this one.

Garrett, enjoy the Grillagée #2! It is a very nice piece, with a small enough tip to fit into the bottom of many glasses to get to the sugar that has drifted to the bottom. It's the perfect blend between a grille and a spoon!

:euro:

Hi Garrett

I've seen this one on Ebay too. Glad you didn't buy it. Here are a few observations:

Not only the tronc is crudely welded it also seems that the hallmarks/maker's marks are faked. Ercuis stands for silver plated quality products and thus their marks are tiny but always very precise. By contrast, the name on the object in the picture is not completely coined: the lower part is missing. And where one would assume the hallmark of Ercuis, a centaur in a square, there is something round so deeply coined into the metal that it casts a shadow like a caldera on the moon.