Brian Robinson

Answers to common newcomer questions

Clandestine is, hands down, the best Swiss la bleue available - in my opinion.

They are also lower in alcohol content.

They mostly are,but the makers of Clandestine also make a la bleue called Absinthe Capricieuse at 72%.I also really like the "Essai's" from Matter-Luginbuhl sold still proof at 81.5%

Five a' those knocks me right on my keester boy I'll tell ya! :drunk: :3872-DrunkBanana: :dead:

Edited by redwun

How so? If I start with 1 1/2 oz of 53%, or using the same measure but it's the essai at 81.5%,drink to drink makes a difference.(I think)Especially when you're gonna have a few.

Edited by redwun

Properly prepared absinthes will all be in a similar ABV range regardless of the starting ABV. So from a 'getting drunk' perspective, it's a moot point.

Since the starting dose is usually the same, the amount of alcohol does go up with stronger starting ABV, even if the louched ABV is the same. You just have different amounts to drink.

So I just usualy dose a bit more than an ounce when it comes to low ABV absinthes. :laugh:

But absinthe is a silly and expensive way to get drunk. Tipsy is fine, but beyond that, you are not tasting anyhting, just getting wasted.

If someone just wants to get shit faced, Kool Aid and Everclear will do the job just fine.

Edited by Miguel

the amount of alcohol does go up with stronger starting ABV, even if the louched ABV is the same.

I understand. But that wasn't my point. The amount of alcohol ingested per glass will of course go up, but my point was that if you're using a higher ABV absinthe, you should be using more water to prepare it properly.

Read it? I have it bookmarked on my iPhone! :)

Edited after I realized I just repeated what Brian said. Time to go home.

Edited by Miguel

The ABV is the same, you just have more or less of it to drink (granted, not a LOT more or less), correct?

Ok,louche all you want, but if I drink 6oz at 81% in one sitting,it's gonna hit me harder than 6oz at 53%.In fact,I'm gonna go open some Essai #2 and do that right now! :cheerz: .

Edited by redwun

Brian, making me do math while taking a break from doing math, might lead to funny numbers on my part. :laf:

Edited by Miguel

the makers of Clandestine also make a la bleue called Absinthe Capricieuse at 72%.I also really like the "Essai's" from Matter-Luginbuhl sold still proof at 81.5%

Never heard of 'em.

I think LDF is the only one who sells the Essais,and Absinthes.com sells the Capricieuse.I''ve never had it,but I really like Clandestine.

Edited by redwun

Properly prepared absinthes will all be in a similar ABV range regardless of the starting ABV. So from a 'getting drunk' perspective, it's a moot point.

the amount of alcohol does go up with stronger starting ABV, even if the louched ABV is the same.

I understand. But that wasn't my point. The amount of alcohol ingested per glass will of course go up, but my point was that if you're using a higher ABV absinthe, you should be using more water to prepare it properly.

Ahem :huh: ?

Edited by redwun

If the ocean were absinthe and I had a cup,

I'd swim to the bottom and drink my way up. :dead: :drunk:

Too much thinkin'

spoils my drinkin'

Edited by Songcatcher

Ok,louche all you want, but if I drink 6oz at 81% in one sitting,it's gonna hit me harder than 6oz at 53%.In fact,I'm gonna go open some Essai #2 and do that right now! :cheerz: .

But it wouldn't be 6 oz for each. In order to prep it properly, you'll have more water in the higher ABV option than in the lower one. If you had 6 oz each of properly prepared absinthe, then it would be apples and apples. Same strength, same amount.

My point was that, if prepared properly, all absinthe, regardless of its starting ABV will end up being about the same strength.

Of course, you'll still be ingesting more alcohol per glass if louched properly starting with an ounce each of absinthe, but it will be cut with more water. For example, let's say you have an absinthe at 50%. Louche it up, you'll end up with about 4.5 total ounces of liquid in the glass @ 11% ABV. If you have another glass with an absinthe at 72%, you'll end up with approximately 6.5 oz in the glass @ 11% abv.

So you won't have a stronger drink, you'll just have more of it. The effects would be similar to drinking 4.5 oz of wine vs. 6.5 oz of wine.

In conclusion, if the absinthe is prepared properly, it will simply come down to how much liquid in total is consumed, NOT what the starting ABV was. Just like with wine, beer, Zima, etc etc.

So you won't have a stronger drink, you'll just have more of it.
Now even I can understand that
My point was that, if prepared properly, all absinthe, regardless of its starting ABV will end up being about the same strength
Very good point indeed. Edited by Songcatcher

OY,I'm gettin' a headache! What I was saying was,if I drink 6 oz of 81% absinthe,I'm going to feel the affects more than if I drink 6 oz of 53% absinthe.Regardless of how much water,kool aid, zima or whatever else I mix it with. I've still consumed 6oz of absinthe.But now at 4.5oz of 81%,I think I'm gonna call it an early night 1.5 oz short of goal.You guys are great.Capt.Video signing off. :cheers:

Edited by redwun

OY,I'm gettin' a headache! What I was saying was,if I drink 6 oz of 81% absinthe,I'm going to feel the affects more than if I drink 6 oz of 53% absinthe.Regardless of how much water,kool aid, zima or whatever else I mix it with. I've still consumed 6oz of absinthe.But now at 4.5oz of 81%,I think I'm gonna call it an early night 1.5 oz short of goal.You guys are great.Capt.Video signing off. :cheers:

This table might help...

How much alcohol is in my glass?

The 25ml measure is slightly under an ounce.

I've never been able to understand the "Units Of Alcohol" column... Take that back. I just got it. It's in cl. It might help to put that in the explanation at the bottom, or the column heading. Personally, I wouldn't mix expressing values in two different measurements.

I take it that you're talking 6 oz of each pre-louche. If so, the alcohol consumed would be 4.86 oz for the 81% version, and 3.18 oz for the 53% version. Assuming that the average drink contains approx 0.5 - .06 oz of alcohol, the 81% absinthe compared to the 53% absinthe in this example would be like having about three more drinks any way you louche it.

If I drink 6 oz of 81% absinthe,I'm going to feel the affects more than if I drink 6 oz of 53% absinthe.Regardless of how much water,kool aid, zima or whatever else I mix it with. I've still consumed 6oz of absinthe.

Right! Maybe I didn't make that clear. :blush: I'm not a total caveman though,I would be spreading those 6 oz out over 4 drinks! :3872-DrunkBanana:

Edited by redwun

If the ocean were absinthe and I had a cup,

I'd swim to the bottom and drink my way up. :dead: :drunk:

Too much thinkin'

spoils my drinkin'

For The Win!!!

This was waaaay more fun than reading Brain "knowing it all".

Good reading in those articles. This website puts things in perspective for anyone wanting the facts about this most interesting drink. I owe all credit to the WS for the excellent purchases I've made in my beginning journey into absinthe.