I think Stefano is right, producers need to be called out... Producers respond to market pressure.

Yes they do, but it's always prudent to remember that polite, factual, and business-like critique is always most effective. I know of just about nobody, even those in the wrong, who responds well to abuse.

Concerning absinthes.com, I was looking at that page for Sauvage the other day and was less than impressed with the sleight in thier text wherein they start their description by stating that this release is a "completely new distillation, and a departure from the style of the first 2 Sauvages", but then in their tasting notes they use the texts of five reviews of the first release, including mine, rifled from this site, presumably to further inform and lend credibility to this release.

I looked again today and see those tasting notes have been removed. Gee, maybe it was something they read!

You know, it's funny. In reading through some of this thread again this morning, it got me to thinking how ridiculous the idea would sound that people who ever bought a defective Bourbon at 35-45% above the average price for the category, would be talking to other informed consumers about things like microwaving it, mixing it with other reliable and solid products, or considering buying it to see first hand just what all the disappointment is about.

Better that than being used for drain cleaner. ;)

Call me old-fashioned, but if I had unopened bottles that I found that dissatisfactory, I would be insisting to the vendor that they take them back and refund all my money paid for the returned bottles and the shipping. This is a commercial product, people. To insist they give you some satisfaction is not unreasonable.

The thought of ruining a well made glass of verte by mixing it with an inferior bottling... Truthfully, I can't even have that thought, crashes my mental hard drive.

Why someone would drop that kind of money to have to alter it to make it drinkable is beyond me.

FPB, you're soooooooo old-fashioned. :tongue: ;)

I think Stefano is right, producers need to be called out... Producers respond to market pressure.

Yes they do, but it's always prudent to remember that polite, factual, and business-like critique is always most effective. I know of just about nobody, even those in the wrong, who responds well to abuse.

Better that than being used for drain cleaner. ;)

Call me old-fashioned, but if I had unopened bottles that I found that dissatisfactory, I would be insisting to the vendor that they take them back and refund all my money paid for the returned bottles and the shipping. This is a commercial product, people. To insist they give you some satisfaction is not unreasonable.

Agreed. When I wrote to EP and Vert d'Absinthe the content was very much like the review I left on absinthes.com; I actually copied most of that review from the body of the letter. Perhaps I was too polite? Neither have responded to my request still.

In my opinion, I think the review I left may be producing some results. It was a polite, 2 star review rather than a rude 1 star review. It has received some 'likes' on absinthes.com. I also notice that the ad for the previous version of Sauvage has been removed from absinthes.com. I can only wonder about the reasoning behind that.

Perhaps I was too polite? Neither have responded to my request still.

At this point I'm assuming that Verte d'Absinthe was your retail vendor for these bottles. So are you saying you made a clear, specific request, or did you just send them your opinion and hope they would step up? If so what was the request?

If it were me, I would make it clear that I purchased multiple bottles of expensive absinthe based on its reputation and clearly this release doesn't measure up. To be fair, I would offer to bite the bullet on the opened bottle (which I could argue the other way, BTW), but that I need them to make me whole on the other two. "Whole" could mean anything from refunding the price paid including shipping to replacing them with other product of my choosing of equal value. Whether or not they decide to have the bottles sent back at their expense is up to them. If V d'A is your vendor, your primary business issue is with them, although I have to say it is very dissappointing EP hasn't gotten involved to make sure you are happy. But back to V d'A... if I still didn't receive a favorable response, I would escalate to the level of making it clear that they would never again get as much as a dime of my absinthe spending dollar, and in a factual way I would tell the tale, when appropriate, here (at the WS) and anywhere else absinthe related discussions are taking place.

Go back to the "Vieux Pontarlier" - What's The Word?" thread and re-read post #195. I can't imagine that comment won't occasionally reasure someone to do business with them (Astor Wines). The opposite type of comment should be very troubling to a retailer. It's not mean, it's not blackmail. It's what brother Evan called "a necessary part of the equation."

Yes, Vert d'Absinthe was the reseller. I did make it clear that I was expressing displeasure at having made an expensive purchase that included costly shipping only to end up with 3 bottles that I could not enjoy. I did not tell them what I expected in recompense; instead I asked what they could do to correct the problem. I did imply that without satisfaction I would not be making future purchases. I asked for prompt attention to the matter.

I did read the VP post, and I was impressed.

But see, I am a nobody to them. I am not someone that has 3500 + posts on WS. I am not Marc Thuiller or Stefano. To them I am someone who doesn't know good absinthe from Jaegermeister. I don't have any of those reputations behind me so I am not a threat to them. So I never buy from them again, what worry is it to them? There will be another just like me come tomorrow.

While Vert d'Absinthe carries some excellent exclusive lines,their shipping is very expensive,w/no quantity discount whatsoever the last I knew.If I can make a friendly suggestion,the next thime you buy a widely available absinthe,check out www.absinthes.com .They have a large selection,very good prices and free shipping with an order of $250 or more. The WWS also has a list of "preferred vendors" you can check out as well.

I did read the VP post, and I was impressed.

I was too, but based on the reputation of that business I had already pretty much figured they would take care of their customer. BTW, I have never done business with them (Astor Wines). I have to say that the reason I have never done business with them has nothing to do with what I previously knew about them. I just never had a pressing need. If it turns out that I need an out of state vendor for something in the future, they will be at the front of my mind for their fine handling of that matter.

But see, I am a nobody to them. I am not someone that has 3500 + posts on WS. I am not Marc Thuiller or Stefano. To them I am someone who doesn't know good absinthe from Jaegermeister. I don't have any of those reputations behind me so I am not a threat to them. So I never buy from them again, what worry is it to them? There will be another just like me come tomorrow.

Don't sell yourself short. You were a customer. I have owned a number of businesses in my life. One thing I know, if I don't know anything else, is that it's a lot easier and more cost effective to keep the customer you already have than to find a new one. And even if a business can easily find a new one, it's far better to add them to the stable, than to use them as a replacement for someone who has gone away.

I can't speak to the relationships between Marc and Stefano and this business, but I will also tell you that I (Mr. 3500+ posts) have never done business with V d'A, either. The reason is no particular reason other than when I was buying a lot of absinthe I just had other vendor habits. I had always been curious about them and had hoped to give them a try some time. I was always under the impression that they were a stand-up business since they are a recommended vendor here. But I've got to say that your story gives me pause.

I'd be persistent and polite with some follow up. You never know, perhaps your first volley got lost in the shuffle. They might just come around. If I were that vendor, I wouldn't consider this recent conversation in this thread to be very good advertising.

I sent a follow up email to VdA, and received a response the next day. He offered to refund for the bottles if I returned them. He also stated that "all my customers liked the Sauvage a lot." I thanked him for his offer, but explained that it was not equitable for me to do so. I asked that he reconsider something more fair. I have not had a response to that request.

I thanked him for his offer, but explained that it was not equitable for me to do so.

Yes, return shipping costs do make it not worthwhile.

I asked that he reconsider something more fair.

For a vendor to eat the shipping costs both ways is quite a bit to ask just because you didn't like something. A big corporation may be able to handle that request easily, but just a simple shop owner, not so much. What to you seems fair? And reasonable.

I splurged on 3 bottles as soon as I saw it was available. I bought based upon reputation,

So who is to blame for your choices?

I can't blame the distributor.

Sounds to me like you are.

I did not tell them what I expected in recompense; instead I asked what they could do to correct the problem. I did imply that without satisfaction I would not be making future purchases. I asked for prompt attention to the matter.

You sure do fucking whine a lot.

I asked that he reconsider something more fair.

For a vendor to eat the shipping costs both ways is quite a bit to ask just because you didn't like something. A big corporation may be able to handle that request easily, but just a simple shop owner, not so much. What to you seems fair? And reasonable.

Something like this, from the "Vieux Pontarlier" - What's The Word?" thread post #195 :

Problem resolved, and Astor Wines is a stand-up business! They responded within the day and credited my account. Good guys!

I splurged on 3 bottles as soon as I saw it was available. I bought based upon reputation,

So who is to blame for your choices?

http://wormwoodsociety.org/index.php/component/content/article/20-absinthe-brand-reviews/traditional-absinthe/609-sauvage

You sure do fucking whine a lot.

post-4637-0-97593500-1456631301_thumb.jpg

:hysterical2:

Wow, it's great to see a bit of the old nursery school spark around this playpen place. :holiday:

Edited by Absomphe

All fun aside, I think that to encapsulate this situation as "just because you didn't like something" is being a bit simplistic and dismissive of the reality that a consumer (and certainly not just this one) has paid dearly for a product marketed, based on a reputation, that not only doesn't seem to deliver at that level (and now it's known is not really even the same as the formerly known product), but is actually substantially flawed, as well. Regardless of how le5lieb expresses that, I can certainly empathize with his situation. If I ordered and paid for a Mercedes Benz and what showed up at the curb upon delivery was a banged-up Chevy, I wouldn't be very happy.

I hate to think of the actual money dynamics of this. To my knowledge V d'A is no discount absinthe emporium. And I am aware their shipping costs have always been quite high. If I had to venture a guess, I'd bet the total price paid for the three bottles we're talking about here is probably knocking on the door of $400.00. If it were me, this whole situation would sting at a whole lot less.

I'm a veteran of the beverage wholesale trade here in the US. Now I don't know how commerce is conducted in France, but here the consumer would be given every benefit of the doubt, and the burden of any loss suffered by the supply chain would be pushed back to the appropriate level or shared by various levels. It's just part of the assumed responsibility of doing respectable business.

And I also hate to say this, but fuck the "po' simple shop owner" shit. Time to become a little less simple and realize that in business sometimes you have to take some bad with the good. I'm sure he (and EP) make and have made plenty off of EP products. In my opinion, time for them both to step up and take care of a consumer who is seriously unhappy, and it seems, rightfully so. On the other hand, if they don't mind loosing that consumer for good, so be it. It's really their choice at this point.

You know, what's really funny about all this is if that shop has a cadre of customers that "liked the Sauvage a lot", all it should take is a couple of emails and these returned bottles would be re-sold again and the total money dynamics, for the shop, would probably be somewhere around break-even for those two bottles. Worse things have happened in business. I've never been able to understand why businesses make these kind of decisions.

All fun aside

Alright, who the hell are you, and what have you with our Captain Kirk mask wearin' dude? ;)

Seriously, I agree completely with your take on this.

Edited by Absomphe

I am now in the middle of trying to resolve a problem with Vert d'Absinthe, too. They split my order of three bottles into two shipments. The first arrived after a half month, but the larger pasckage never arrived. I wrote and asked, as the tracking numbers they provided did not work. The response said that my package had been returned "with a nice homeland security tape." He will not try sending it again, and wants to give a partial refund via international bank wire because they cannot reverse credit card charges. Problem is, credit unions don't always have int'l bank routes. The tone of the emails is rather impatient, and accusatory that I do not understand the terms of the sale, and I have inconvenienced him with five emails. Grrr... Customer service is not a high priority, there.

You'd think the DHS would have more important things to do than intercept packages of absinthe...

I'm pretty sure they have their own fountains...

I am now in the middle of trying to resolve a problem with Vert d'Absinthe, too. They split my order of three bottles into two shipments. The first arrived after a half month, but the larger pasckage never arrived. I wrote and asked, as the tracking numbers they provided did not work. The response said that my package had been returned "with a nice homeland security tape." He will not try sending it again, and wants to give a partial refund via international bank wire because they cannot reverse credit card charges. Problem is, credit unions don't always have int'l bank routes. The tone of the emails is rather impatient, and accusatory that I do not understand the terms of the sale, and I have inconvenienced him with five emails. Grrr... Customer service is not a high priority, there.

It seems that DHS might be a 'profiling' packages coming in from France. I bought a carafe on Ebay from France. When the package arrived it had the lovely green tape exclaiming "Examined by U.S. Customs and Border Protection." The wrapping around the carafe had the same green tape on it. They didn't find the 2 spoons buried in the popcorn though. :secret2:

Truly sorry to hear that you are having an issue with VdA also.

Back to the topic: I just ordered a bottle of Sauvage, even though I was going to order a bottle of Marteau. I got caught up in the reviews of Sauvage while in the midst of an MoL session. One of the pages I read on Sauvage said:

Only a couple of bottles are available! So difficult to find and hard to harvest is this extraordinary ingredient, that we cannot guarantee that there will ever be any future production of Absinthe Sauvage once this initial batch is exhausted...

Yeah, okay, time pressure applied, buy it right now.. I get it. Well I got it, and moving right along...

I understand this is the 3rd edition of this absinthe, but what does that really mean? How might it be different from the previous editions?