417 replies to this topic

#391 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:00 AM

If someone wants to send me a couple ounces of the current stuff I'd be game. Based on what I've read, I'm not interested in throwing money at a bottle.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#392 belewfripp

belewfripp

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:16 AM

This thread kind of went to a weird place.

EDIT:  Anyway, I've been kind of thinking of maybe getting a bottle, for curiosity's sake.  If I do, I'd be willing to send on some samples to others who are curious.  This would be several weeks away, though, as I'll be out of town all next week and waiting for some monies to arrive.

Edited by belewfripp, 04 April 2016 - 07:19 AM.

"In a culture that relentlessly promotes avarice and excess as the good life, a person happy doing his own work is usually considered an eccentric, if not subversive."   - Bill Watterson

#393 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

Here is the only problem with things like that. Buying a bottle for "curiosity sake" that is.
It lets companies or in this case, distilleries, know that they can put out whatever they want and the consumer will buy it all.

Just my opinion on that approach.

Again I bring up the example of goose island brewing co.
I recently got the check to cover the bottles they sold back on Black Friday. They sent checks to anyone who called in before a certain deadline and along with the check was a nice letter of apology.
Think I will give this company another shot come next Thanksgiving?

Edited by greytail, 04 April 2016 - 07:50 AM.

Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#394 le5lieb

le5lieb

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:48 AM

If someone wants to send me a couple ounces of the current stuff I'd be game. Based on what I've read, I'm not interested in throwing money at a bottle.

I've got a few ounces that I would gladly donate to the cause.

absinthe drinker

#395 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:51 AM

Agreed, greytail. I'd hate to encourage anyone else to buy it. I've often wondered if there are wine drinkers, whiskey drinkers, sake drinkers, etc. who buy poorly reputed products just to see first-hand what all the disappointment is about.

le5lieb, PM me.

#396 belewfripp

belewfripp

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:06 AM

Agreed, greytail. I'd hate to encourage anyone else to buy it. I've often wondered if there are wine drinkers, whiskey drinkers, sake drinkers, etc. who buy poorly reputed products just to see first-hand what all the disappointment is about.

My perspective is that more knowledge/information is never a bad thing, and while I certainly grant weight to the opinions of experienced members of this forum, my personality is what it is.  I'm a curious person in general, always looking to explore more, and while sometimes that lands me with an undesirable outcome, many times it does not.

I also think there's a danger to only adhering to what everyone else has already agreed on, whether in absinthe or something more important.  Doesn't mean I don't give credence or consideration to informed opinions, just that I'm not always necessarily prepared to substitute the opinions of others for finding out for myself.

Here is the only problem with things like that. Buying a bottle for "curiosity sake" that is.
It lets companies or in this case, distilleries, know that they can put out whatever they want and the consumer will buy it all.

Just my opinion on that approach.

There are limits, though.  I'm never going to buy a bottle of Strong 68 just for curiosity's sake, simply because the probability of discovering something other than what everyone else has already related is essentially zero.  The situation here seems less clear-cut.

I don't want to encourage distilleries to turn out bad product, but at the same time, is the new run truly bad, or is it just inferior compared to its prior iterations?  And how might I know this for certain?  In the realm of "truly awful absinthe" I'm usually just fine leaving them be and trusting those who sacrificed their palates to provide information.  The same goes for those acclaimed as truly great; but away from the extremes, it gets, in my opinion anyway, more murky.

In any case, it looks to be a moot point.  I look forward to seeing what fpb's review has to say.

Edited by belewfripp, 04 April 2016 - 09:07 AM.

"In a culture that relentlessly promotes avarice and excess as the good life, a person happy doing his own work is usually considered an eccentric, if not subversive."   - Bill Watterson

#397 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

• Bronze Member
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

You can lead a horse to water, but....
The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  
and the sad silent song made the hour twice as long,
as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#398 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

• Bronze Member
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

You can't keep him from throwing good money at bad absinthe.

#399 belewfripp

belewfripp

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

*shrug*  I appreciate your perspective, Songcatcher, but all I'm doing is explaining mine.

#400 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:43 AM

My perspective is that more knowledge/information is never a bad thing, and while I certainly grant weight to the opinions of experienced members of this forum, my personality is what it is.  I'm a curious person in general, always looking to explore more, and while sometimes that lands me with an undesirable outcome, many times it does not.

I also think there's a danger to only adhering to what everyone else has already agreed on, whether in absinthe or something more important.  Doesn't mean I don't give credence or consideration to informed opinions, just that I'm not always necessarily prepared to substitute the opinions of others for finding out for myself.

And if you're going to do it, those are certainly justifiable reasons. I think I actually watched a couple of the Republican debates for the same reasons.  :dry:

You can lead a horse to water, but....

You sometimes can't put it back in the horse.  ;)

We'll see.

#401 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:14 PM

I thought it was a case of quality control, from the producers standpoint. And this is an experiened producer who has released many top quality absinthes. Why release anything that would damage your hard earned reputation. Note Im going by the feedback I have heard so far. I have not tried the new Sauvage. In the topic of reviews it has not been uncommon to review different batch releases according to year.?

Edited by gee13, 04 April 2016 - 03:14 PM.

#402 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

• Bronze Member
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:31 PM

This thread kind of went to a weird place.

It served a necessary purpose. You don't walk into a quiet, friendly bar and start being the obnoxious loudmouth, making a jackass of yourself, and pissing all over the walls, without somebody telling you to shut the fuck up and sit down.

If a certain someone thinks the rest of us will feel bad about them getting up and stomping off out the door pouting, they're sadly mistaken.  

On the other hand, that also doesn't by any means mean that they're not welcome to join the club here. Just don't start off being a jackhole, and then get butthurt when called out on it.

#403 belewfripp

belewfripp

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

I completely understand.  It was meant to be a humorous comment on my part :)

EDIT:  I'm not sure I've been in a bar where anyone pissed on the walls, but I was in a rather hole-in-the-wall Irish pub in Manhattan, in the vicinity of 100th St and Amsterdam Ave. (very roughly, I don't remember the exact location), where the bathroom was basically a toilet in a closet with a torn sheet hanging from the doorway as a "door".

That was a fun evening :biggrin: Absinthe was even legal again, then, though I had no idea.

Edited by belewfripp, 04 April 2016 - 05:25 PM.

#404 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:38 AM

True story. A few months after I moved to CT in 1986, I was out on a Friday night at my favorite jazz joint just a few blocks from my place, with an out-of-town visitor. Well into the evening I remember seeing a woman (you'd remember this too if you had seen her... she looked like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman), beautiful, perfect red dress, great shoes, perfectly groomed, walking over to the ladies room. She opened the door to find it so occupied that the wait was probably going to be considerable. So next she pivots to what appeared to be a waiting position, leaning, back against the wall under the empty coat rack between the ladies and mens room doors. To our shock, next she spreads her feet and proceeds to piss on the floor right there, like five feet away from us. Yep... I remember it like it was yesterday. Some things just can't be unseen. I will admit, I might have wondered, when I saw her walk over, what kind of under-garments she was sporting under that perfectly polished regalia. I guess that answered the question regarding south of the equator.

Now that I have everyone's attention:

In the topic of reviews it has not been uncommon to review different batch releases according to year.?

We usually don't because most producers are aiming for some kind of consistency with a given label, regardless of the slight variances of the materials, growing year to growing year. Since our entire review system is designed to assess quality, if the producer is still doing skillful work, these slight variances shouldn't highly affect scores. Sometimes we start a different review designation when it is admitted by a producer that there has been a substantial change to the product, or that it has been widely observed that the product has evolved to a significantly different character than what it formerly was. Based on what I have read, including the producer's and primary retailer's statements that this is a significant departure from the first two releases, I'm thinking this may warrant that treatment. Also, and this is just my opinion, I would hate to tarnish the legacy of that first release if it turns out that the latest Sauvage is as degraded as some say.

#405 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:18 PM

Understood Fpb but I refer to the batch reviews of Belle Amie and quite a few of the Parisienne series (La Coquette, L'Enjôleuse and few others) which have been identified with year of release. Just curious why this was so for those in particular.

#406 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:30 PM

If they are, it's only within the individual reviews. That would be a choice made by the reviewer. I just looked at each that you mentioned, and there is only one review page for those labels. That would be because nobody appealed for or convinced management here that there should be a different review page for each release.

In my comments, I was referring to when there was an editor's decision here to start a second review page for the reasons I mentioned. Look at Leopold Bros., modern Pernod, and Mata Hari and you'll see multiple review pages, each for one of those reasons.

#407 belewfripp

belewfripp

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:03 PM

To our shock, next she spreads her feet and proceeds to piss on the floor right there, like five feet away from us.

:blink:   That's a good one.  :laugh:

#408 belewfripp

belewfripp

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:48 PM

So, I got a bottle of this, arrived...Monday?  Tuesday.  For those concerned about me supporting the Galactic Empire rewarding a distillery for making poor absinthe, you can rest easy, as I bought an unwanted bottle from a WS member.  I have tried a very small amount and found it wanting, but I regularly feel that way when bottles are first opened.  It took me a week to pour a glass of Grön Opal that met expectations.  Anyway, now that it's been opened, I'm going to let it sit for a few more days and then give it a proper go.

#409 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:04 PM

So has Brian or anyone else officially reviewed the new Sauvage?

Edited by gee13, 13 May 2016 - 05:05 PM.

#410 belewfripp

belewfripp

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:08 AM

I don't think any of the editors have posted a review yet, no, but I just submitted my review a few minutes ago.  My impression is that it isn't outright bad, but it does have a weird aftertaste that hits late if you're holding it in your mouth for a bit, and that lingers in a not-so-good way.  The flavors and aromas also seem somewhat muted.  I'm glad i gave it a go, and have first-hand impressions of it to work from, but I wouldn't buy it again unless they reformulate and do a new edition.  

Incidentally, I did also do the microwave trick on it, as described by Marc earlier in this thread, and it did in fact remove that unpleasant, acrid aftertaste.  But even then, it's basically just Lucid-esque, and even Lucid tastes slightly better and doesn't cost $94.

Edited by belewfripp, 16 May 2016 - 10:09 AM.

#411 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

• Bronze Member
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:35 AM

That reminded me of this article I read this morning.

INFRARED RADIATION CAN FINE-TUNE THE TASTE OF WHISKEY
JUST BLAST THE BARRELS WITH THE RIGHT WAVELENGTH OF LIGHT

http://www.popsci.co...?src=SOC&dom=fb

#412 Carlo

Carlo

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

I don't think any of the editors have posted a review yet, no, but I just submitted my review a few minutes ago.  My impression is that it isn't outright bad, but it does have a weird aftertaste that hits late if you're holding it in your mouth for a bit, and that lingers in a not-so-good way.  The flavors and aromas also seem somewhat muted.  I'm glad i gave it a go, and have first-hand impressions of it to work from, but I wouldn't buy it again unless they reformulate and do a new edition.

Nice to know. I'll stick then to my beloved Gron Opal, it's flawless and it does taste like wild herbs.

#413 belewfripp

belewfripp

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:18 AM

Right?  I'd drunk half my bottle of Grön without hardly realizing it, and am now trying to ration it so it lasts a bit longer.

#414 Carlo

Carlo

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:45 AM

Grön Opal has something different, wilder. I had this thought crossing my mind: it's like wild boar wrt pork. My bottle is almost finished, I'm going to try Vit Opal as Grön Opal is currently out of stock on absinthes.com, after being a huge success.

#415 belewfripp

belewfripp

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

Thought I'd mention two things - the Grön Opal is back in stock at absinthes.com, I just grabbed me another bottle, so you might want to do the same.

Also, on the Sauvage, I noticed the second half of the bottle was a lot better than the first.  I was conserving some of my finer drinks and just drinking the Sauvage since i had it, and once I was halfway down (about two weeks post-delivery) the weird aftertaste went away.  The muted flavors were still a problem - not very distinctive - but at least it didn't taste funny anymore. 

I still wouldn't recommend it for the price, but if they wanted to drop it down to $45 a bottle, it'd be worth a spin.

#416 crazybean

crazybean

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:20 PM

I am sorry for the newby question, but, how a bottle of Sauvage could be opened? Should wax seal be heated or should be broken by knife?

#417 crazybean

crazybean

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:37 AM

Hi, I would just like to ask for help. How shall I open the bottle? Should the wax be heated, or shall be broken (by knife)?

#418 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

• Bronze Member
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:11 AM

Cut the wax from the top of the bottle only, a sharp pocket knife around the top of the glass works good. Don't worry about the neck, proceed from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association