• Please log in to reply
413 replies to this topic

#301 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

I totally agree with you, if you have to microwave an absinthe, it means that something is wrong with it.

All I'm saying is that you can save an absinthe from the sink with this trick, nothing else, but distillers should be take much more care of their products before releasing them.

#302 le5lieb

le5lieb

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:21 AM

greytail makes an excellent point. 

If I were brand new to absinthe, and due to inexperience bought a bottle of something that was crap then I would chalk it up to learning. But, I am a few years into this stuff now, and I have anxiously awaited the release of Sauvage; due to it's excellent reputation and and glowing reviews. Expecting that it would sell out quickly, like most popular limited editions, I splurged on 3 bottles as soon as I saw it was available. Now I have 3 pretty costly bottles of absinthe that not only are nothing like the previous releases, but must be unusually manipulated to enjoy. I bought based upon reputation, yet the distiller did not release a product worthy of said reputation. In my limited experience, the absinthe in these bottles is not worth the price that I paid. Let me state that my tasting experience includes highly reputable absinthes such as L'Ancienne, Jades, MoL and many others. 

I can't blame the distributor. Yet, it is very interesting to note that the next company to have Sauvage available is doing some serious CYA by promoting that this batch is not expected to be like the first. That begs the question: was this a result of seeing the poor reviews, or did the distiller provide some insight? It would also beg the question: how do you justify releasing something called Sauvage when you know going in that it is not the same as Sauvage? It is pretty well understood that distilling absinthe is a fickle art, and batches can differ based upon any number of reasons. But, if the recipe changes it is wrong to ride on the products previous reputation, as it seems has been done here. An absinthes reputation is derived from several successful distillations.

Just my 2 cents. I don't know what the solution is, so I will simply lick my wounds. I will also be very cautious before making another similar purchase. That's how we learn, right? That's why you guys all sit back and let us newbies make the mistakes for you. 

absinthe drinker

#303 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:15 AM

I totally agree with you, if you have to microwave an absinthe, it means that something is wrong with it.
All I'm saying is that you can save an absinthe from the sink with this trick, nothing else, but distillers should be take much more care of their products before releasing them.

I think we are on the same page then.
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#304 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

Minx the Monkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:17 AM

That's how we learn, right?

Correct.

That's why you guys all sit back and let us newbie make the mistakes for you.

Incorrect. We all make our own choices. Therefore, we all make our own mistakes.

Now twenty people got to squeeze inside the same bathtub, so it ain't all bad.  ~Tank Girl

If you're riding my ass, you'd best be pulling my hair.

#305 le5lieb

le5lieb

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:32 AM

It merely means that some choose to learn from the mistakes of others. No harm in that.

I admit that I made a mistake, and that's why I don't try to blame someone else for it. Lesson learned.

absinthe drinker

#306 Stefano Rossoni

Stefano Rossoni

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

The problem, my friend, is that as long as the consumers will not speak up when they realize they've been ripped off, having being sold a substandard absinthe, the distillers will not increase quality control. Quite the opposite in fact. The message that the market is sending to the distillers is: "as long as you don't fuck it up too much, no one will notice. If you do really fuck it up, sell it anyway cause people don't really care".

greytail makes an excellent point. 

If I were brand new to absinthe, and due to inexperience bought a bottle of something that was crap then I would chalk it up to learning. But, I am a few years into this stuff now, and I have anxiously awaited the release of Sauvage; due to it's excellent reputation and and glowing reviews. Expecting that it would sell out quickly, like most popular limited editions, I splurged on 3 bottles as soon as I saw it was available. Now I have 3 pretty costly bottles of absinthe that not only are nothing like the previous releases, but must be unusually manipulated to enjoy. I bought based upon reputation, yet the distiller did not release a product worthy of said reputation. In my limited experience, the absinthe in these bottles is not worth the price that I paid. Let me state that my tasting experience includes highly reputable absinthes such as L'Ancienne, Jades, MoL and many others. 

I can't blame the distributor. Yet, it is very interesting to note that the next company to have Sauvage available is doing some serious CYA by promoting that this batch is not expected to be like the first. That begs the question: was this a result of seeing the poor reviews, or did the distiller provide some insight? It would also beg the question: how do you justify releasing something called Sauvage when you know going in that it is not the same as Sauvage? It is pretty well understood that distilling absinthe is a fickle art, and batches can differ based upon any number of reasons. But, if the recipe changes it is wrong to ride on the products previous reputation, as it seems has been done here. An absinthes reputation is derived from several successful distillations.

Just my 2 cents. I don't know what the solution is, so I will simply lick my wounds. I will also be very cautious before making another similar purchase. That's how we learn, right? That's why you guys all sit back and let us newbies make the mistakes for you.

I'll tell you what the solution is, and it's exactly the same you would adopt if you got ripped off with a defective product worth several hinders of dollars: write to the distillery and complain about it. Then write to whoever sold you the bottles and demand a refund because you were sold a defective product. And most importantly, WRITE A REVIEW on the vendor website and copy and paste it wherever you can.

I just checked now and with all the bottles of in drinkable Roquette that have been sold, do you guys know how many 1 star reviews it has on the page of the main distributor? 3! Just 3 bad reviews! Which is why the Roquette still has a 4.5/5 stars rating!
If anyone bought a $70 bottle of wine that turned out to be undrinkable, they would complain to the store, to the winery, and if those didn't make it right, they would never buy from the same winery again.
Why people don't expect from absinthe makers the same honesty they expect from any other kind of expensive non-mass produced product is beyond me, but I know for damn sure that as long as this is the general attitude, things will just keep getting worse.

#307 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Advanced Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:40 PM

That's how we learn, right? That's why you guys all sit back and let us newbies make the mistakes for you.

Attached File  4222efd2cc3a46bbcf7543d21435ee4c.jpg   27.96KB   1 downloads
The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  
and the sad silent song made the hour twice as long,
as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#308 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 19,630 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

Consider it a kind of gang initiation. :shifty:  ;)

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#309 le5lieb

le5lieb

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

That's how we learn, right? That's why you guys all sit back and let us newbies make the mistakes for you.

attachicon.gif4222efd2cc3a46bbcf7543d21435ee4c.jpg

Coming from Yoda, shouldn't that be " Hurt butt sense I"?

It seems I should have ended that sentence with a wink smiley. It's being taken in the wrong sense. No hurt butt here, not singling anyone out. It's human nature, I do the same in the arena where I am more familiar. So lets see a show of hands for all of the regulars here that have bought a bottle of the latest Sauvage.  :harhar:

Hey, I made it past my 15 post (gang) initiation.  ;)

I'll tell you what the solution is, and it's exactly the same you would adopt if you got ripped off with a defective product worth several hinders of dollars: write to the distillery and complain about it. Then write to whoever sold you the bottles and demand a refund because you were sold a defective product. And most importantly, WRITE A REVIEW on the vendor website and copy and paste it wherever you can.

Stefano, first please allow me say this:  :worshippy:  :punk:  I unequivocally adore L'Ancienne. It is to you how I compare all other distillers. This was my reasoning for jumping on the Sauvage - I have seen how quickly L'Ancienne sells out and I didn't want to miss it. I treasure the one bottle of L'Ancienne that I have.

I am not typically one to complain about a product. Yet I agree with your point. So, I will consider doing what you suggest. I didn't see a place to leave a review on the vendors website, but I will look for other places to leave a review.

absinthe drinker

#310 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

Minx the Monkey

• 3,177 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:55 PM

Hey, I made it past my 15 post (gang) initiation.

:thumbup:

And nope, can't claim to have repurchased Sauvage since the original offering.

The first round was enough to well and truly spoil a person. And reading what has been said about it through the years since, I never felt it worth the risk of tarnishing the memories.

Now twenty people got to squeeze inside the same bathtub, so it ain't all bad.  ~Tank Girl

If you're riding my ass, you'd best be pulling my hair.

#311 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:55 PM

I regret having sold one of my bottles of the old Sauvage.I didn't care for it at first,and that may have been due to an under-developed palate.After revisiting it in a few months I loved the stuff.I was thinking about buying a bottle or two if it was ever re-released,but with what appears to be a trend in the decline in the quality of product coming out of the Pernot distillery,I laid out on this one.What's the reason for this quality issue? Did they start buying sub standard ingredients in return for higher profits?Did they F-up a few batches & release them anyway? If so,that's very unfortunate for them.If they needed more profit,I would rather they raised their price a few bucks.If I remember right,their average price was about $70 a bottle from Abs.com(I know...the Sauvage was much more expensive)Compare that to the price of $99.99 for the Jades from DUNY,or $85 for La Clandestine (DUNY as well) and in my opinion,they had a little wiggle room.A few of their absinthes were absolute favorites of mine,and now I probably won't buy their stuff again.Glad I still have a little old stock on hand.

You Know there ain't no Devil that's just God when he's drunk"...Tom Waits

#312 le5lieb

le5lieb

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

So I bit the bullet and spent the evening composing a letter. I emailed it to Emile Pernot distillery and to Vert d'Absinthe. This morning I left a 2 star review on absinthes.com. I hope I have not tarnished my reputation with these businesses. I will update here when I get a response.

absinthe drinker

#313 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

I hope I have not tarnished my reputation with these businesses.

I have to say, a sentiment such as this is just about as perverted as the relationship between a doctor and a patient, or a client and an attorney, where everyone forgets who the employer and the employee is. Nice of you to be so concerned with your good standing with them.

Concerning absinthes.com, I was looking at that page for Sauvage the other day and was less than impressed with the sleight in thier text wherein they start their description by stating that this release is a "completely new distillation, and a departure from the style of the first 2 Sauvages", but then in their tasting notes they use the texts of five reviews of the first release, including mine, rifled from this site, presumably to further inform and lend credibility to this release.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#314 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

On the one hand I like most was super excited when I saw that Pernot was going to re release Sauvage. The same feeling when L'Ancienne 14 was released. Like LA I was going to bite the bullet on this just like I did with LA. Unlike LA its dissapointing to hear the less than favourable reviews on the 'new' Sauvage

#315 le5lieb

le5lieb

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

Well, it's been a week since I wrote to EP and Vert d'Absinthe and left a review on Absinthes.com. The only update I have is that Absinthes.com posted the review. I have not had a response from EP or Vert. It would seem my answer is "too bad, so sad".

absinthe drinker

#316 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:30 PM

I read your review on Abs.com.I see you mixed at 3:1.That would be pretty hot for me.Have you tried it with more water? Maybe around 4:1,4.5,or 5:1 might make it a little more drinkable for you.....(just a suggestion)

#317 le5lieb

le5lieb

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

That's a reasonable suggestion. I can understand where you're coming from with that, I've had some that needed more dilution before as well. This didn't seem like that though, the herbal notes were already pretty flat. I did mix with more water the second time, maybe closer to 4:1 but it didn't help much other than making it flatter. I've seen people mix at around 1.5:1 or 2:1 and I'm just thinking what a bomb that must be.

Right before I wrote the review I had another glass just to remind me what I didn't like about it. It had changed a bit, not quite as sharp and it was easier to finish the glass, but it was still far from worthy of it's acclaim. This is why I didn't give it a one star review. 

Just yesterday I received the Belle Amie I had ordered. Now that is a very nice absinthe. Nothing like Sauvage; lovely in it's own way. I can't say I'll be boycotting EP as long as I can get something like that.

absinthe drinker

#318 gee13

gee13

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:55 PM

I dont think its reasonable to boycott EP because of just one line they didnt get right. Some of My favourite absinthes are from EP they include Berthe de Joux and Authentique. The barrel aged Roquette has been very interesting as well. Because of where I am and the import taxes I have had to pay its unlikely that I will have a chance to sample Sauvage MK 11 but Im blessed to have access to a lot of excellent lines in circulation. Im lucky to be able to enjoy LA '14 for years to come as I got 4 bottles on release.

#319 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:08 AM

From what I understand it wasn't just one line.

#320 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

My understanding as well. I've heard of such widespread quality problems there that I'm wary of ordering their violette liqueur when I run out, and it has been my absolute favorite violette in the world. From what I can deduce, about the only safe bets from them right now are the high end contract bottlings they are doing exclusively for outfits like Verte d'Absinthe.

blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#321 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

Are they producing those lines themselves,or are they just making their facility available for an independent distiller(s) to come in and use for Verte d'Abs and for whoever else I wonder? 

#322 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

Some of my favorite absinthes were EP, but I'm wary after the last bottle of Roquette that I got. 

I think Stefano is right, producers need to be called out. Send an email if you're not comfortable with a public review and the possible fallout. However, public reviews on vendor sites and WS do help others from making the same mistake.

Producers respond to market pressure. Either because they care about quality and product as craft, or because they care about money. Either way it's a necessary part of the equation.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#323 le5lieb

le5lieb

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:27 AM

I did as Stefano suggested. I emailed Emile Pernot distillery and Vert d'Absinthe. I have not received a response from either.

absinthe drinker

#324 JustinLamb

JustinLamb

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:39 AM

Come on, is it really true? Can someone please stand up for the 3rd edition of Sauvage, so I can order it? I missed the first, but got the 2nd. And will be in love forever. Please someone who has had the 3rd And the previous, SPEAK now. 

forget and allow.

#325 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Advanced Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:05 AM

I missed the first, but got the 2nd. And will be in love forever.

Then don't taint that love, and just relish the memory. For things that once were, are, no more.
The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  
and the sad silent song made the hour twice as long,
as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#326 JustinLamb

JustinLamb

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

I may have to be my own judge on this one.

forget and allow.

#327 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 19,630 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

What Songcatcher said.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#328 JustinLamb

JustinLamb

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:23 PM

Would have been nice.

forget and allow.

#329 le5lieb

le5lieb

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

I have heard that if you mix it 50/50 with Jade 1901, it is very reminiscent of the original Sauvage. Mixing it with Blues Cat is also said to be nice. I haven't tried either, yet. Better that than being used for drain cleaner.  ;)

absinthe drinker

#330 JustinLamb

JustinLamb

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:48 PM

Wow. That Bad?

forget and allow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association