• Please log in to reply
413 replies to this topic

#271 stardust

stardust

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

I really miss Sauvage.

Several people that I let taste it were t crazy about it, but I think it was one of my favorites.

#272 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

Hey, these leaves used to be PICKED BY FAIRIES and now they're using virgins who use their mouths. What's Chinese for Sauvage?

http://www.dailymail...ves-MOUTHS.html

Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#273 le5lieb

le5lieb

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:56 AM

I am wondering if anyone here has tried the latest Sauvage? The review from Marc Thuillier on FB is less than favorable. 

https://www.facebook...40&notif_t=like  ) 

I have not had the opportunity to taste any of the previous releases. When I saw it available I broke my piggy bank to order 3 bottles. Now I am a little apprehensive about the purchase. I read somewhere here that absinthe may become traumatized during shipment, and that to let it 'rest' for a few days might be recommended. I think I will be patient and do that. Maybe I should decant and allow it to 'breathe' before louching? Perhaps it is a good thing that I have not tried previous releases since I will not have that to compare it to.

I received the first 2 of 3 bottles today; apparently it is my birthday, according to the customs declaration. :holiday:  Does anyone know if there was more than one batch with this release? These bottles are marked with lot #5115.

absinthe drinker

#274 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

I trust Marc's (and Hartsmar's) palates completely.

If they say this stuff is very disappointing, and that it bears no relation to the wonderful original, believe them.

I'm truly sorry you were so late to the party.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#275 le5lieb

le5lieb

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. 

They do say that it is disappointing compared to the previous releases. I guess not having sampled any I may be a little better off/less disappointed? I must remain positive.

Fashionably late? Better late than never? Like P!nk, I shall arrive in a Mercedes Benz. Don't be sorry, at least I made it.

absinthe drinker

#276 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:52 AM

There's only one 2015 batch for the moment le5lieb.

From what I read/heard on the french forum and on FB, you may enjoy it actually. People who have never experienced the REAL Sauvage from 2011 & 2012 liked it (with sugar). I tasted it without sugar but apparently sugar is a must, it hides a flaw in the base, though the true role of sugar is to enhance some flavors...

Open it, let it breathe a little, use a slow drip with ice-cold water and it should be ok. If not, use the following microwave trick that I published last year:

If your bottle of absinthe didn’t age very well or if it had a flaw from the start, try this method which is already known by wine experts:
Pour a dose of absinthe into a kitchen glass. Put the glass into a microwave and heat it for 10-15 seconds at 750-900W. Pour the absinthe into a proper tasting glass and let it rest for 15-20mn. Louche it and taste it, you might be surprised by the result.
Don’t expect a crapsinthe to become a premium absinthe, it makes no big miracle, but in some cases, it will improve a badly-aged base alcohol, hide some "off" notes, or even “mature” the absinthe a little.
Of course, no need to try this on a fine absinthe, it will never become a pre-ban Pernod Fils.
It’s been tested by me and some friends on the following absinthes:
- Lucid (badly aged) –> drinkable again, no bad taste, pleasant.
- Sauvage (badly aged) -> the bad taste disappeared.
- Blanche de Fougerolles (no flaw) -> no change.
- Coquette 2011 (off taste) -> clean again, nothing off.
- Edouard 2009 (acrid) -> drinkable again.
- Wormwood 2006 (biting alcohol, no roundness) -> smooth and pleasant.
As I said, no big miracle is to be expected but if one of your absinthe bottles is hardly drinkable, then it’s worth trying this trick, it can’t do any more harm to the absinthe. Worst case it won’t change, best case it will be drinkable again.

#277 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:22 AM

Eight years of tasting absinthe and now this. I guess you really do learn something new every day.

Can't wait to see the lines of new absinthe microwaves on the accessory sites.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#278 le5lieb

le5lieb

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Marc. I will try it as you suggest. I'll set up the fountain to get the slowest drip possible. I usually don't use sugar; I may try it with and without. The microwave trick is intriguing. 

Looks like I have a weekend of drinking ahead of me.  :3872-DrunkBanana:

absinthe drinker

#279 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 19,624 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

Mecca lecca hiney ho! :arrr:

#280 le5lieb

le5lieb

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:03 PM

Disclaimer: I am an admitted novice, so the following is in no way meant to be a review. This is my own experience with the current release.

The first aroma when opening the bottle has a hint of something sharp. The overall aroma is not as prominent as I am used to. I let the bottle breathe for about an hour. I poured a dose and set the ice filled fountain to a slow drip. The swirl and whorls seemed pretty weak. At about 1:1 it started louching. It did produce a pretty thick louche at about 3:1; I've seen weaker. The aroma did not blossom as and become room filling like I expect. When I pick up the glass, the aroma is actually overpowered by my hand soap unless I get my nose right on top of it.

I did not use any sugar with this glass. The taste is not bad, it does end with a bitterness. At this point, it is not going to qualify as one of my favorites. It improves towards the bottom of the glass, as it warms. Something very unusual is that I can already start to feel an alcohol buzz; it is not like the absinthe buzz I get around the third glass.

For the second glass I used one small sugar cube. Same drip procedure. Similar results, but the sugar helped to cut the bitterness. 

The next day I let the bottle breath for about half a day. I decided to try Marc's microwave trick this time. I microwaved a shot and let it rest for about 15 minutes. As soon as I opened the microwave the aroma was very prominent. I again set the fountain to a very slow drip. This time I was rewarded with the swirls and whorls that I like to watch. The louch was thicker sooner with this glass. The aroma was room filling and pleasant.

Again, I did not use sugar. This time the taste had changed entirely. Now it is a nice absinth. Gone is the bitterness. It is much smoother and easier to drink. Too soon the glass is empty. And no alcohol buzz this time.

I wonder if I could just microwave the whole bottle?   :g:

absinthe drinker

#281 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:17 AM

Glad it worked. It proves once again that there is a flaw in the alcohol base. Same happened with some Jades from the bad period, the ones with the "off" base, the microwave trick saved them from the sink.

#282 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:11 AM

What's the flaw, and what do you suppose the microwave is doing to improve it?

#283 yasbean

yasbean

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:32 PM

I would imagine that the microwave trick is just burning off some of the alcohol, no?

#284 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:47 PM

I don't really know, I'm no expert in biology/chemistry but it works with wine too so I guess it doesn't really burn off some of the alcohol. Microwave just chafes the water molecules between them and from what I know, it's like an accelerated maturation process.

#285 le5lieb

le5lieb

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:35 AM

Absinthes.com is now promoting the latest batch of Sauvage. They clearly state that this batch "is a completely new distillation, and a departure from the style of the first 2 Sauvages." On their FB page they state: "Representing Emile Pernot distiller Dominique's interpretation of the Sauvage concept,...". So, it seems as though it was anticipated that this batch would be different from the first two. It's good that they are making that known up front, so folks won't be disappointed.

absinthe drinker

#286 Grim

Grim

Distiller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:10 PM

Manufacturers can do the same thing with additional heat in a closed (clean) alembic... they used to call it "tranchage." It works... probably for the same reasons.

Leave it to me as I find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me...
Guaranteed...

#287 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• 2,256 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:32 PM

Absinthes.com is now promoting the latest batch of Sauvage. They clearly state that this batch "is a completely new distillation, and a departure from the style of the first 2 Sauvages." On their FB page they state: "Representing Emile Pernot distiller Dominique's interpretation of the Sauvage concept,...". So, it seems as though it was anticipated that this batch would be different from the first two. It's good that they are making that known up front, so folks won't be disappointed.

It's certainly one way of looking at it. Too bad this disclaimer popped up after you had already ordered and recieved yours though huh?
Nos adepto quis nos mereo. Nos mereo quis nos adepto.

#288 le5lieb

le5lieb

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:44 PM

True dat. Not having the pleasure of sampling the earlier batches I am not missing as much. 

My real disappointment is that even without comparing it, it is not a very nice absinthe straight out of the bottle, in my novice opinion. The essences are very separated, and some too bold. Marc's microwave trick made a world of difference; it blended everything and made it a nice absinthe. But, I really don't agree with having to microwave every dose of a highly acclaimed absinthe. In comparison I have an opened 2 year old bottle of Eduoard and MoL that are just as wonderful as when they were opened. I'm not sure what to do about the Sauvage bottles. Perhaps store them away for a couple of SoCal summers and hope that they will age nicely. Crying about it certainly won't help.

absinthe drinker

#289 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• 2,256 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:07 PM

Nor should you have to "microwave" a quality made absinthe. It's absurd. The mere thought makes me cringe.

Anyway. If it tastes off it more than likely is. When they got away with it before why change.

#290 Wayek

Wayek

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:28 PM

I got mine today and am trying it right now with a bit of sugar as suggested .... yeah its a bit weird but it doesn't taste too bad from what I can tell and I've had the previous versions however I dont know what to compare it to cause it's been a few years and I can't make bottles last that long :)

it doesn't taste as bad as the other emile pernot products I've had lately though!.....much better than roquette 

I'm gonna try another one without sugar before I have to decided if its microwave time 

Edited by Wayek, 27 January 2016 - 10:36 PM.

nasty prisms good sir

#291 Wayek

Wayek

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:32 PM

second tasting: emmmm quite a bit of anise going on here ... and I can see why they suggest the sugar ...  just to be safe I already stuck a shot in the microwave halfway through this glass, when I pulled it out and took a whif it was still warm so I got a good sniff of alcohol that just burned my nose .. haha  

nasty prisms good sir

#292 Wayek

Wayek

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:43 PM

nobody else has anything to say about the new sauvage??? 

it's interesting ..... I played around with it a few times and microwaved a few shots before diluting them and it's still an anise bomb but when you micro it it tastes more like a well rounded anise bomb .. I still wish I had some of the older sauvage to compare it to since I cant remember for the life of me what it used to be like 

nasty prisms good sir

#293 Songcatcher

Songcatcher

Advanced Hillbilly

• Bronze Member
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:39 AM

nobody else has anything to say about the new sauvage??? 

It is Sauvage in name only, and had no bearing on the Sauvage of the past.

I cant remember for the life of me what it used to be like

Oh I can. It was like the morning breeze on a warm spring mountain top, right after a light rain, with the sun coming out and melting the dew off the flowers and the evergreens.
The room it smelled heavy of drinkin',  
and the sad silent song made the hour twice as long,
as I waited for that sun to go sinkin'.

#294 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 19,624 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:14 AM

Indeed, what he said.

#295 distill my beating heart

distill my beating heart

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:10 AM

Not to beat a dead horse....haven't tried the new Sauvage yet, but the original is my all-time favorite absinthe - well that and l'Ancinne. Songcatcher describes it perfectly. Sunshine in a glass.

If we make it, we can sit back and relax...

#296 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• 2,256 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

Why light absinthe on fire when you can microwave it now.
Step back and just ponder this absurdity.

#297 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:16 PM

It was like the morning breeze on a warm spring mountain top, right after a light rain, with the sun coming out and melting the dew off the flowers and the evergreens.

I'm so glad you didn't add the info that this was while you were standing on said mountain top, in the morning, in your tighty whities!

The absinthe microwave ritual... that'll be quaint, charming, and nostalgic at some point in the future. Or not.

#298 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:35 AM

Absurdity?

Originally, this trick was for wines one would not drink otherwise. By chance, it works the same way with absinthe.
I've had the previous Sauvage (in fact I've helped distilling the initial batch at Pernot) and if I had a full bottle of the new Sauvage, I would probably not drink it without this trick. Period.

Step back and give it a try before calling it "absurdity".

#299 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:43 AM

2010 memories:

16020611515317633613951453.jpg

#300 greytail

greytail

Viridis umbra

• 2,256 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:54 AM

I understand but if that is what it takes to enjoy the absinthe then would you not agree something is wrong? I am not doubting the method is absurd if it makes the absinthe drinkable. I am saying it's absurd we have to do it in the first place. If so then the bottles should be recalled or the customers compensated.

Example. Goose island brewing released their annual bourbon county beers this past thanksgiving. The barleywine and the stouts were either contaminated or did not produce the desired flavor they were aiming for. Customers talked. They listened and responded. They admited their product had issues. They did right by the customer by sending checks to cover the costs of whatever amount of bottles each customer called in about. I had bought 5. They cut a check for them. Guess who will be buying it next year? This guy. I admire honesty and action. Not excuses or silence. We are the customers and we should not have to pay high prices for a product which should have been either re distilled and sold at a lower price or not released at all if it did not live up to the name on the label.

So, maybe rather than having to put up with or do strange rituals to enjoy a product that is flawed, one could expect just a little more from this? Maybe not.

Edited by greytail, 06 February 2016 - 06:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2016 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association