Sign in to follow this  
Valander

Hello from Seattle

I've just recently been introduced to Absinthe (thanks, Gainsbourg Lounge of Seattle!), and am quickly becoming a fan. Been talking it up to my buddy down in El Paso (hi, Jeff), and he's looking forward to trying it out when he comes to visit up here near the end of August.

Anyway, just wanted to say "hi," and let folks know that the liquor store on 15th in Crown Hill actually carries a pretty good selection. Now I just need to get myself a fountain... ;)

Edited by Valander

Welcome. You live in WS World HQ; I'm in Wallingford myself.

They have fountains at City Kitchens on 4th Ave downtown across from Westlake Plaza.

I was over at the 15th Ave store yesterday. Tina the manager tries to carry every absinthe available in the US, except a few notable and intentional exclusions. Still, there's only one on the shelf currently that's worth buying, and it's made in Woodinville. Almost all the rest are artificially colored crap.

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

Seattle sounds like an absinthe mecca, so you should do right. specially if you use the review guide. Or just support your local distiller.

Welcome. You live in WS World HQ; I'm in Wallingford myself.

They have fountains at City Kitchens on 4th Ave downtown across from Westlake Plaza.

I was over at the 15th Ave store yesterday. Tina the manager tries to carry every absinthe available in the US, except a few notable and intentional exclusions. Still, there's only one on the shelf currently that's worth buying, and it's made in Woodinville. Almost all the rest are artificially colored crap.

They have two shelves. One is over in the liquers, which has Lucid, Absente, and Pacifique. Over on the other side of the store, though, there's another shelf that had many others, including Duplais, Kübler (which I kinda like), and several I don't remember. There definitely looked to be some "cheap crap" there, too, though.

I'll have to bounce down to City Kitchens this weekend and check them out. Thanks for the tip!

Calling Pacifique a liqueur, and then putting it next to Absente is just plain wrong. You will not go wrong supporting your local distiller.

Absinthe is with the liqueurs in the 5+ stores in my area. It certainly doesn't go with the scotch or vodkas.

Calling Pacifique a liqueur, and then putting it next to Absente is just plain wrong. You will not go wrong supporting your local distiller.

<shrugs> Absinthe is with the liqueurs in the 5+ stores in my area. It certainly doesn't go with the scotch or vodkas.

Gwydion probably knows the specifics, but I believe that absinthe is classified as a "liqueur" nationwide in the United States as one of the byzantine legal requirements/restrictions placed on it, along with it being prohibited from being sold by the one word description of 'absinthe' (hence all the "absinthe superior"s and etc.), and the restriction against using any art or naming conventions that imply macabre, supernatural and/or drug-fueled hallucinatory effects.

Hopefully the 15th Ave store won't be reprimanded for any accidental accuracy on one of their shelves ;)

Oh, and hello there, Valander! :wave2:

Gwydion probably knows the specifics, but I believe that absinthe is classified as a "liqueur" nationwide in the United States as one of the byzantine legal requirements/restrictions placed on it, along with it being prohibited from being sold by the one word description of 'absinthe' (hence all the "absinthe superior"s and etc.), and the restriction against using any art or naming conventions that imply macabre, supernatural and/or drug-fueled hallucinatory effects.

I'm sure you're correct, Jay, but one has to roll one's eyes at such idiotic distinctions.

As if designating a beverage as a liqueur, as opposed to a liquor, somehow demystifies it, and defuses those "historically implied" supernatural and/or drug-fueled effects. To me, a liqueur such as Chartreuse, for example, is even more likely to be identified with mystical effects, particularly because of the relative multitude of herbs that go into its manufacture (not to mention those hallucinatory-prone monks who guard its secret recipe). As far as I know, no liquor is cloaked in anywhere near such mystery, so it would seem logical to classify (and display for sale) absinthe as a liquor, with the express purpose of demystifying it.

Edited by Absomphe

We believe that the applause of silence is the only kind that counts. And, so, we applaud your welcome. *Claps hand*

Fixed. :cheers:

We believe that the applause of silence is the only kind that counts. And, so, we applaud your welcome. *Claps hand*

Fixed. :cheers:

As a dogfaced baboon once wisely worded: "Ha Ha!" :cheers:

Welcome. You should drop by the distillery sometime for a visit.

Funny, I was looking at the Pacific Distillery website just last night and thinking the same thing. ;) Are Saturdays still the best time to "drop in?" I probably won't have time until September, but I think it would be a lot of fun to do a small tour.

Edited by Valander

They have two shelves. One is over in the liquers, which has Lucid, Absente, and Pacifique. Over on the other side of the store, though, there's another shelf that had many others

The shelf in the liqueurs section is for "listed" products only, i.e, those which the suppliers have applied for, and the state has accepted as regular items in the catalog. The ones on the free-standing shelves are non-listed and considered "special order" items. That store actually does most of its business in special order items (check out the special order rums in the back right corner) and caters to many of the more serious cocktail bars in the city.

Absinthe is with the liqueurs in the 5+ stores in my area. It certainly doesn't go with the scotch or vodkas.

Actually, it's simpler than that. Washington liquor stores have a specified shelf schematic they have to follow. The sections include Bourbon, Canadian, Scotch, Rum, Tequila, Gin, Vodka, Brandy, Cordials (liqueurs), and Cocktails. Then there's a nominal wine section and about six brands of used-to-be-microbrews-now-gone-corporate beer in the cooler. So, it sort of makes sense that absinthe would fit more in the Cordials section.

Absinthe isn't classed as a liqueur because that would require that it contain at least 2.5% sugar or other sweetener by weight. It's classed as a "distilled spirits specialty" just like every other spirit that doesn't fit any of the established classes.

Some manufacturers (I can't really call them distillers) add sugar specifically to avoid the "distilled spirits specialty" class, which also requires a statement of composition on the label. Liqueurs have no such requirement.

The shelf in the liqueurs section is for "listed" products only, i.e, those which the suppliers have applied for, and the state has accepted as regular items in the catalog. The ones on the free-standing shelves are non-listed and considered "special order" items. That store actually does most of its business in special order items (check out the special order rums in the back right corner) and caters to many of the more serious cocktail bars in the city.

Ah, that makes sense. And yeah, the liquor laws here in WA are a bit weird. ;)