• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:25 PM

This is certainly fun to watch, I can see its use at a bar to provide a show, that is would replace the fire BS.

LINK

I like it, but I can see why many would not.

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

I think it was Alan who mentioned this a while back. I don't see any problem with drinking absinthe in this way ideologically. The only issues I'd have would be functionality problems.

1) you'll get a nice shot of straight absinthe in the beginning, as you see there's a bit still in the straw that doesn't get the water.

2) it doesn't seem to louche up evenly, so the beginning would be more absinthe, and the end would be more water.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

There's such a drug-like connotation to the whole thing. It's like the "seeds and stems" floating in certain Eastern European Crapsinths.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#4 Tang!

Tang!

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

Well - at first look, it does look interesting enough to watch... as long as you take yours with sugar :)
It IS a different way of doing things.. but... good luck mixing or drinking it... Still it might be good for somebody's collection of odds and ends.

#5 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:53 PM

a drug-like connotation to the whole thing.

Exactly right,
but it will probably take many years for it to go away.
This may be some kind of middle road that brings people who are inevitably attracted for the wrong reasons, at least to get closer to tasting the traditional flavor profile instead of burnt sugar.

I could see it my own toy collection someday.

Edited by TheLoucheyMonster!, 22 July 2011 - 05:59 PM.

#6 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

... instead of burnt sugar.

Let's hope. I really didn't want to say crack pipe.

#7 J.R.McDowell

J.R.McDowell

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

This takes the class out of the whole deal that is the Absinthe ritual. I am not a fan of this method, it looks too drug related, and as many have stated it does not seem to prepare the drink properly.

#8 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

This may be some kind of middle road that brings people who are inevitably attracted for the wrong reasons,

I dunno, I was completely hoping to trip balz® on the stuff back in the day. I didn't like anise at all and managed to find myself amongst the "legitimate". I sure as hell didn't need some bogus paraphernalia to set me on the right course.

okay, now I just went and actually watched the vid. I'd think the issue Brian brought up could be resolved by blowing through it, although I'd advise against blowing too hard(!). And as long as you don't mind being seen drinking out of a bubble pipe!

but seriously, that thing straight-up looks like a freebase pipe. Not to be confused with the short glass stems preferred by crackheads. It's pretty fun to watch the thing, but I don't feel kosher drinking out of something that looks like it should have Richard Pryor's celeb endorsement engraved on the bottom.

Edited by buddhasynth, 22 July 2011 - 08:45 PM.

What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#9 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

I clicked the link expecting to hate it and roll my eyes, but it actually looks really cool to me. I agree that it would require a gentle blowing through the pipe to get everything to mix evenly but it still is a great show.

There goes my street cred.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#10 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:20 AM

I am not a fan of this method, it looks too drug related

This has nothing to do with drugs. This pipe, I assume, was created in the vein of cognac pipes, which originated in the 1700s or so.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#11 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:22 AM

Never knew about Cognac pipes :euro: . So at first it definitely seemed to play on the drug reference to me.

Looks really cool though. The slow upwards louche is a nice effect and reminds me of the background to the Robette poster. The vid for La Clandestine with unbleached sugar is also worth checking out especially since the sugar never dissolves completely.

I wonder what it would be like if you don't use sugar, since I tend not to.

Overall I'm on the fence about this one. It's a nice effect, but not everyone thinks of Cognac pipes at first glance.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#12 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:39 AM

I have sold a number of Cognacs at wholesale, and have worked two full days on separate occasions with one principal of one producer. We had significant conversation concerning proper glasses for Cognac. Not once was the pipe mentioned.

I am, of course, not trying to say that Cognac pipes don't exist. I'm just saying that I do not believe the use is very widespread or common, and it certainly doesn't make it convenient to enjoy the nose of either Cognac, or absinthe. To sip either through the "straw" would almost completely eliminate the simultaneous appreciation of the aroma and bouquet, kind of like drinking a great beer out of the bottle.

#13 Harry

Harry

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:49 AM

...this absinthe pipe thing looks unnatural and unholy..... i do not like... :nono:

#14 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

Jesus people, lighten up.

@ Fpb, nowhere did I make a claim about the level of popularity of the cognac (or even port) pipes. I simply mentioned that II believe that was the inspiration here.

I think it's an interesting take on drinking absinthe, but not one I'll be using. Will it give someone the overall absinthe expeirence, no. But overall, I don't see any harm in it.

The pipe makers themselves haven't made any references to drugs, so by automatically assuming a drug reference is not on them, but on an automatically defensive, overly protective mindset. We can be hardline on certain things, but there is a fine line between being a traditionalist educator, and being a militant fanatic that no one takes seriously.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#15 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,550 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

...kind of like drinking a great beer out of the bottle.

Where's our 'vampire kit' emoticon? :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#16 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

a militant fanatic that no one takes seriously.

hey now.... :nono:

it is cool to watch, I'll grant that. But FPB hit the nail on the head; I like to experience the aroma and bouquet simultaneously. It's half the fun, really, or at least controlling interest of the fun for me.

Edited by buddhasynth, 23 July 2011 - 09:22 AM.

What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#17 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

That's great. But does that automatically discount this, simply because us absintheurs don't prefer its method? I've made several statements to the effect that I will not be using it myself. But what does that have to do with it?

I wasn't calling anyone a militant fanatic. I was cautioning against creating that image, because we, as a group, will be judged by the masses as one or the other. We need to be cognizant of that.

Some people will enjoy it, others will not. But it doesn't endorse any negative aspects of bad marketing or drug culture.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#18 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

Jesus people, lighten up.

@ Fpb, nowhere did I make a claim about the level of popularity of the cognac (or even port) pipes. I simply mentioned that II believe that was the inspiration here.

And I didn't say you did. I was just imparting a little more info about Cognac pipes and my opinion of its usefulness as an absinthe vessel. The point of a brandy pipe is to warm the brandy with one's hand. I don't think many absinthe drinkers are looking to over warm their absinthe.

Jesus Brian, lighten up.

I wasn't calling anyone a militant fanatic. I was cautioning against creating that image, because we, as a group, will be judged by the masses as one or the other [a traditionalist educator]. We need to be cognizant of that.

Some people will enjoy it, others will not. But it doesn't endorse any negative aspects of bad marketing or drug culture.

The endorsement doesn't necessarily have to be codified. It's a pretty strong visual image, that's all. I'll bet that, at least in this country, there are more pipes in use for consuming illegal drugs than there are for smoking various tobacco products (and this is styled more in the fashion for the former, than for the latter), drinking Cognac, and Port put together. My (and others) reaction here, is not a huge leap.

Other than that, I agree with you.

Some people will enjoy it, others will not.

#1500 on this...

#19 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

Jesus Brian, lighten up.

I'd think counseling people against overreacting to something as innocuous as this pipe would be fairly lightened up.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#20 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

1) you'll get a nice shot of straight absinthe in the beginning, as you see there's a bit still in the straw that doesn't get the water.

2) it doesn't seem to louche up evenly, so the beginning would be more absinthe, and the end would be more water.

Easy: just blow into the stem and make bubbles. Come to think of it, this might make a kick ass bubble pipe.

Exactly right,

Even longer if people keep making absinthe paraphernalia that looks like some kind of bong.

This has nothing to do with drugs. This pipe, I assume, was created in the vein of cognac pipes, which originated in the 1700s or so.

Undoubtedly, but to the average person who doesn't know that cognac pipes ever existed (or that they were gimmicky, even in their own time), it still looks like a bong.

Actually, it is fun to watch, but then so are my Lava Lites™. Mostly, I just think it's gimmicky and in questionable taste. But nowhere near as much so as the Negroni shots I took from a Negroni-loaded Super Soaker on the 4th of July. So who am I to judge?

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#21 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

Any time a newbie sees my hookah, they think it's for pot. Does that mean I shouldn't bring it out, simply because an uninitiated might have the wrong preconceptions? If that's the case, then we should completely do away with the moniker of La Fee Verte', as it brings to mind thoughts of hallucinations and drugs.

That said, it's of course gimmicky. And I'm not going to get one.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#22 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

Exactly right,

Even longer if people keep making absinthe paraphernalia that looks like some kind of bong.

Yep. I remember seeing one of the producers walking around and sipping absinthe from a pipe at the "Absinthe In April" event two years ago. I didn't know then what I know now, and my initial reaction was that I found it rather shocking.

Undoubtedly, but to the average person who doesn't know that cognac pipes ever existed (or that they were gimmicky, even in their own time), it still looks like a bong.

Yep, again.

... Mostly, I just think it's gimmicky and in questionable taste. But nowhere near as much so as the Negroni shots I took from a Negroni-loaded Super Soaker on the 4th of July. So who am I to judge?

Now that's high tack! :dev-cheers:

Any time a newbie sees my hookah, they think it's for pot...

That said, it's of course gimmicky. And I'm not going to get one.

You mean they're not for pot?

Kidding... Kidding. :devil:

I won't be getting one, either.

#23 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:53 AM

You mean they're not for pot?

:harhar:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#24 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:34 PM

Then there are your extremely rare people like me who don't know very much at all about drugs and don't have a reference to compare it to anything.

It's gimmicky and dumb, and not the best way to enjoy a fine absinthe. But with something that's not terribly complex it could be perfectly fine.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#25 J.R.McDowell

J.R.McDowell

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

Let me mention a little about my background, I am in Law Enforcement, so I am not unfamiliar with current trends in drug paraphernalia. This resembles a pipe used for illegal purposes, that is all I was saying, I never said it was one, just that it appears to be.

I was also agreeing with a majority here that this defeats the purpose of making Absinthe and the process and romance of it all.

Edited by J.R.McDowell, 23 July 2011 - 02:29 PM.

#26 Pierre

Pierre

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

I have an absinthe pipe (although it is very different looking than the one in the video). Yes, I blow some bubbles in it to mix the absinthe shot stuck in the tube, and it always make me just the littlest bit happy. Like blowing bubbles in your milk when you were a kid.

Just to be clear though, I have "real" glasses that I use for good absinthe. I actually haven't used the pipe in about 6 months. I pretty much just use the pipe when I am drinking something like Kübler- which might be seen as worse than the pipe in the first place.

#27 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

I think it's pretty. :harhar:

That said, I really dislike the taste of sugared absinthe, so I doubt I'd ever get to use one, even if I wanted to.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#28 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

It should work without sugar due to the size of the hole between chambers.
Like a see-saw dripper this would be a 'cool toy' to have, not something I would use everyday.

#29 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

I envision the hole to be similar to the ones in the Simon Pierce bubble glass. Which I love to use, by the way. It creates beautiful tendrils of louche.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#30 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,550 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:50 PM

I'm definitely diggin' on that phrase, "beautiful tendrils of louche", big guy. :thumbup:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association