Tang!

My Very First

I got home a little after 12:30am and it had been a long and very interactive day that had pretty much tapped me out. It was a mix of good and bad like most days are, but like some days – it was just hard to let go and leave work at work. Too many things were jumbling around in my head still – even after the long ride home.

It was still pretty warm but only a little muggy out. The sky was clearing up, and I could see stars through the sunroof as I drove home – I knew this was going to be The Night.

I had kind of been waiting for a while – months actually. First I had to figure out what to get, then to figure out the rest of the gear and get it to the house. Legwork and staging work.. and then of course the timing had to be right. I didn't want to be rushed with this.

So I arrived home, dropped my bag, kicked off my shoes and went to the fridge. I pulled out the water, and then I pulled out the ice tray from the freezer. I put a few cubes in a glass, and poured the chilled water in.

Then I went to the counter where It stood – and where it HAD stood for a few months. It never seemed to gather any dust. I picked it up and waked over to the trash can and knocked that pretty wax seal. Pieces of it rained into the can and as it did I started to get a little excited. This was WAY overdue.

I used my wine opener on the cork – which I found to be pretty soft – soft enough that I had to be careful. But I was, and without too much difficulty, I raised the cork.

One of the most pleasing aromas I have smelled in years drifted from that bottle of Jade Nouvelle-Orleans. I just stood there for about a minute with an idiotic grin on my face. Up until this point, I have never smelled or tasted ANY absinthe, and part of me had worried that after all of this waiting and research and preparation – it would be horrid.

That part died wrapped in the caressing arms of the Greed Fairy over the course of about 30 seconds.

Next to the bottle I kept the measuring cup, the auto-verseur, sugar and spoon. I poured an oz of absinthe into the cup and couldn't resist a closer sniff before pouring it into the glass. Then I went back to my icewater glass and poured 5oz of the water from that into the top line of the measuring cup. I set the spoon over the glass, and opened the sugar cube and placed it on the spoon. Then I rested the AV over the spoon, took a quick line of site to be sure and line up the drip and the cube, and poured most of the water into the AV.

Immediately I was greeted with the tapping of the auto-verseur as the drops began. And I bent down to watch the swirling louche form. After about a minute, I added the rest of the water. Apparently my AV holds 4oz of water.

With my head bent down next to the glass, watching the drops as they came slower and slower I questioned myself regarding the aroma. Did it really change and get bolder with the water? Or was it just the closed confines of my kitchen. Clearly SOMETHING was different about the smell.. but I couldn't put my finger on it directly.

The AV stopped, and I set it aside. I dropped the spoon with what was left of the sugar in .. and I gave it a gentle stir. No doubt about it – the Magic had happened. What I poured in was transformed into a milky opaque liquid that the spoon could nearly hide in. I withdrew the spoon and set it on the counter.

At this point, my cat Moses wanted to know what in Hell I was doing. Prompted by his questioning meow, I lifted the glass and bent down with it to allow inspection. Moses brought his head over to it – and I could see nose working. He didn't wince, back away or do anything startling. In fact, he may very well have done a mental cat-shrug with the subsequent look he gave me, and he walked away.

Taking this as his blessing, I stood upright and took my first tentative sip.

It was cool on my lips and tongue. It wasn't ICE COLD, but cool. It was a little sweet, a little liquorice -like perhaps.. but that's the only thing I COULD compare it to. I found myself hopelessly grasping for something to base the tastes on and failing miserably. I am FAR from the point of being able to do any kind of review.

There was no real taste of alcohol – but there was SOMETHING curving around my tongue for certain. I found myself taking a larger sip and swirling it around trying to grasp exactly what was going on inside my mouth. I decided that yes, this was going to take some contemplation.

So I stepped out to the back deck and sat down under the stars. Looking up and taking a few more sips I made a quick mental Van Gogh connection quickly followed by the thought that Dothraki customs say that everything of importance has to be done outside. I wondered if maybe this was the absinthe getting to me already. If so, it was fine by me – this glass changed my night around completely.

My second glass was without the sugar – it was different, yet just as good.

Yes – I think this is here to stay with me. I will most certainly finish this bottle – and now I am a great deal MORE curious about others to try.

Great portrayal of your experience. I almost felt as if I were there.

I will let you know what my first time is like when I get up to Seattle (End of AUG) for PAX and to hang with my buddy who is already a connoisseur of the stuff. I am saving my Absinthe Virginity for our friendship. ;)

However, AIO might take exception...oh, wait, he's a movie FREAK, nevermind. :laugh:

:angry2:

tumblr_l7xc6dVgpv1qbbjxvo1_400.gif

:laugh:

I must say that I think that it's better to have some guidance at first especially - I learned a LOT from the folks here. But I want you to be very well aware of one thing that struck me that night.

I wished I had gotten my ass in gear on this YEARS ago. What I had been missing simply could not be articulated.

:twitchsmile:

Great portrayal of your experience. I almost felt as if I were there.

I will let you know what my first time is like when I get up to Seattle (End of AUG) for PAX and to hang with my buddy who is already a connoisseur of the stuff. I am saving my Absinthe Virginity for our friendship. ;)

That part died wrapped in the caressing arms of the Greed Fairy over the course of about 30 seconds.

I've heard Ted called a profiteer, but that makes it sound like his pockets go "cha ching!"

However, AIO might take exception...oh, wait, he's a movie FREAK, nevermind. :laugh:

:angry2:

tumblr_l7xc6dVgpv1qbbjxvo1_400.gif

:laugh:

:laf:

That tears it!

I'm siccing my good buddy Peter Dinklage on yer arse!

Well, I would, if I actually knew him. :laugh:

Dinklage is damn good - don't get me wrong - but I think he's just too "pretty" to be playing Tyrion Lannister. They needed to ugly him up more - but maybe they wanted him to start pretty for contrast for later...?

:laf:

That tears it!

I'm siccing my good buddy Peter Dinklage on yer arse!

Well, I would, if I actually knew him. :laugh:

Butt his first name is Peter, so that wood make us... you know.

Then again, I noticed my pinkie was out, while I was enjoying my Pacifique, so... :pirate:

What the hell have you clowns (apologies, Absomphe) done to this thread? Jeebus! The man was describing his first time and you guys start talking about weird movie actors.

Does anyone know who played the chipmunk/STD spokesperson in The Groove Tube?

What the hell have you clowns (apologies, Absomphe) done to this thread? Jeebus! The man was describing his first time and you guys start talking about weird movie actors.

Exactacalamity.

A derailed thread???!!!

Jebus, Joe, you must have usses confused with somebodies elsesses. :paperbag3: :paperbag3: :paperbag3:

Edited by Absomphe