Sign in to follow this  
J.R.McDowell

Another El Paso Noob

Greetings,

Recently a friend of mine from Seattle started telling me about this cool hobby he was into. Intrigued I started looking around online at fountains and glasses and spoons, OH MY.

Then I set out to see what could be had locally, I found a store on the west side of El Paso that sold the Liquor, only 4-5 brands... but sold it they did... so I bought some Kübler as it was most recommended from the brands they had by my friend. I also picked up a couple spoons while there.

But wait I need a fountain, so I looked and looked everywhere, when I came across a nice 5lt. jug with a turn tap ( Spigot ) on it. it was marked for 20 bucks, but when I got to the register it was only 1.99 marked down, so I bought two. Only one issue, it sits too low to get a glass under it.. so I looked for an option to raise it, and could not find something I liked. When I got home I went though the attic, as my grandmother lived here prior to my living here, and she had some great stuff stored up there. I found a frog bowl that is just perfect, but I am not sure I will use it yet. Today I am going out to look some more, but the frog bowl maybe it.

I was telling my friend in Seattle, I can see why he likes this stuff. Its more than getting drunk, it has ceremony, its social, and it has a nice collectors element to it as well. Its class.

absinthe_frogs.png

What do you think? Next to it is a nice little sugar bowl to match.

So, that's EXACTLY the "fountain" I own. It used to live on my microwave, and I would then put the glass I was louching on top of my sugar canister (which has a flat top) but as of last night, it's living in my fridge.

My other issue was how much water you have to put into jar before it gets to the spigot. I currently have a square flower vase displacing some of the water so I don't have to use nearly as much, but I learned that once my skull vodka bottle is empty, it fits inside the fountain nicely and will displace water even better. :devil:

Hello and welcome! :cheers:

So, that's EXACTLY the "fountain" I own. It used to live on my microwave, and I would then put the glass I was louching on top of my sugar canister (which has a flat top) but as of last night, it's living in my fridge.

My other issue was how much water you have to put into jar before it gets to the spigot. I currently have a square flower vase displacing some of the water so I don't have to use nearly as much, but I learned that once my skull vodka bottle is empty, it fits inside the fountain nicely and will displace water even better. :devil:

Hello and welcome! :cheers:

Vodka infusers use glass beads "marbles". I used them on my 'fountain'. I got mine at the dollar store. I use my two level kitchen island, with some books to bring the glas closer to the spigot.

In the future I'd love to make a fountain from my VC bottle.

Oh, yeah! Welcome to the forum JR, from the other side of the state.

Edited by Miguel

but I learned that once my skull vodka bottle is empty, it fits inside the fountain nicely and will displace water even better. :devil:

HA! thats funny because I bought that Skull Vodka bottle too.. and was thinking of placing it in the jug as well. How is the vodka though, I have yet to open the bottle? I got it more for the bottle and less for the stuff inside.. So I guess it does not matter what it taste like. As for the jug, I got some Glass Etch, and I plan to deck the jug out with some nice Glass Etching.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

GRIM - SPECS by the Sunland Park Mall, next to Pet Smart. They have spoons and some nice glasses there too.

Miguel - Thats a great Idea!

Edited by J.R.McDowell

Specs should have Lucid, Tennyson, and VC. Which means that FedEx and UPS are your friends. :)

They had Kübler, Mari Hari, Lucid, Absente, and maybe one or two others... those are the ones I recall though. Hope that helps.

LUCID and ABSENTE both came with spoons.

Edited by J.R.McDowell

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I bought some Lucid and a spoon. Lucid isn't bad, it's not great either. For the money though, I still prefer the net for ordering. The price isn't much different and the quality is completely up to me.

Welcome again, cool fountain. If you do put the skull in the jar, you should post more pics :thumbup:

Specs should have Lucid, Tennyson, and VC. Which means that FedEx and UPS are your friends. :)

They had Kübler, Mari Hari, Lucid, Absente, and maybe one or two others... those are the ones I recall though. Hope that helps.

LUCID and ABSENTE both came with spoons.

Of those two, I'd go with Lucid. If I had to buy another bottle at Spec's it would be the Lucid. Thank God for the intraweb!!!

Check our review section for some very helpful information.

I'm not really much of a vodka connoisseur (my vodka of choice generally being Absolut so...) and I've honestly used it more for cooking than I have for drinking, but it's not bad. I have a skull collection, so it needed to be bought.

I'm not really much of a vodka connoisseur (my vodka of choice generally being Absolut so...) and I've honestly used it more for cooking than I have for drinking, but it's not bad. I have a skull collection, so it needed to be bought.

Really, So do I! I love skulls. And I agree 98 bucks for the bottle was a bit steep but when I saw it I had to have it. Did you get the large bottle or the smaller one or both?

Edited by J.R.McDowell

Just the small one...couldn't justify the price for the bigger one. I do still want to hunt down the shot glasses though.

Welcome! I love the frogs at the base of the fountain.

Lucid is almost a right of passage sometimes. I don't know of an absintheur who didn't have at least a glass of it once. Just to reiterate it's not the best, but definitely not the worst. I actually prefer it to Kübler if those were my only two choices.

Check the reviews before buying another bottle at the store. Absinthe has no defined status in the U.S. so there is a lot of green colored swill calling itself absinthe just to get sold. I would keep away from Mata Hari and Absente for starters.

There's nothing wrong with frogs! In fact, frogs were common themes for pitchers in France in use with anise and pastis! In fact, absinthe pitchers from la Belle Époque were often zoomorphic, so why not your fountain as well! Besides, there is a great absinthe called la Grenouille, which means the frog in French!

Oh yeah...Welcome! :wave2:

Howdy Podner. :cheers:

That is a nice fountain. Some geritol sippin' member is probably grenouille with envy. You guys and gals who make your own from ordinary everyday objects never cease to amaze me with your creativity. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Edited by baubel