Sign in to follow this  
nerologic

Pernod Fils Bottle Idntification

Hi all.

I was able to taste a few drops of old Pernod Fils absinthe. I'm told the bottle was from 1954, the year of the owner's birth. I have a photo of the label (attached), so could the friendly WS folks give me the skinny on what there is to know about this guy?

I believe it is a bottle of Tarragona (I mean, it says "Tarragona" at the bottom of the label, but I wouldn't be surprised if you ladies and fellows have more criteria for what you refer to as Tarragona in WS lingo) but I don't really have a context for what that means. I understand that Pernod Fils ceased French production and moved to Spain. Is Tarragona simply the Spanish absinthe from that time period, or is it something more specific?

All I really know is that it blew my gourd and I would like a more substantial dose sometime to really wrap my tastebuds around.

post-3060-1311252091_thumb.jpg

Yep. As suspected, that's a bottle of Pernod absinthe produced in Tarragona, Spain. I've had some very good Tarragonas, but there was a noticeable drop off in quality after the 30s or so. The stuff from the 50s and 60s wasn't terrible, but also wasn't very reminiscent of it's predecessor.

The stuff from the 50s and 60s wasn't terrible

Not terrible at all, actually. The Tarragona we shared at RMGH was very tasty. While it may not have been up to the PF preban standards, I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers...whatever the hell that means. :twitchsmile:

I think it means you can do a lot of things with vintage absinthe, even in bed-except for eat crackers with it. Someone probably could flick drops of it into their neighbor's eyes.

Edited by baubel

Eating crackers in bed is a reprehensible sin. I mean, there are many sins that are welcome in bed, but any that leave the sheets all covered in crumbs are not welcome.

But if the company is attractive enough, I suppose that can be overlooked. As the case may be for certain green fairies. This one may not be a goddess, but she's still a fine catch.

At least that's how I interpret it.