Sign in to follow this  
newtothegreenhour

Absinthe Photography

No flames, but they do have a shot of a glass of absinthe with one of those giant round pierced spoons that crooks are alwyas selling on ebay as "absinthe spoons", and about half a cup of undissolved sugar at the bottom of the glass. Looks like the aftermath of somebody trying to get their Abinth King to behave like french absinthe...

Couple of nice pictures there, though I do wonder about the couple of ones that are already louched and yet have virgin sugar cubes sitting on the spoon..... :blink:

Oooh, there's that square bottle again!

Oh man, the shotglass with the sugar, that's almost disturbing. I think that much sugar would make me sick.

Definitely some interesting photos, but also room for improvements.

Wow, I think this is the most succesful post I've made. About mansions and graveyards, I don't know how many people have been to Gainesville Florida but lets just say it's not the most Bohemian place in the world. People were up set that the art museum that was just built was taking away parking from the football stadium, that's what I'm dealing with here. The only victorian type mansion here is draped with flags proclaiming the greatness of gator football, so that's out like last year. I might have to venture over to St. Augustine to get that kind of shot.

St Augustine is awesome (or at least it was 40 years ago).

The South can be beautiful. I love the old antebellum mansions, long lanes lined with trees draped with spanish moss... there are lots of beautiful scenes in FL. I don't miss the mosquitos or the "palmetto bugs."

I don't know much specific about architecture styles, but as far as dates go, Victorian and antebellum periods have a considerable overlap (Queen Victoria reigned from 1837-1901).

St Augustine is awesome (or at least it was 40 years ago).

The South can be beautiful.  I love the old antebellum mansions, long lanes lined with trees draped with spanish moss...  there are lots of beautiful scenes in FL.  I don't miss the mosquitos or the "palmetto bugs."

My parents live on one of the islands just south of Charleston. They actually have one of those drives lined with moss strewn oaks. When Hurricane Hugo came through it took away all of the moss. The trees looked completely naked without it. It took a while for it to grow back.

Antebellum (when referring to the US Civil War, 1861-1865) does fall within the Victorian era, and isn't really a formal term as far as I know. It just means "pre-civil-war-era." A lot of what people usually picture when you say "Suthern Mansion" is actually more Neoclassical, Greek Revival or late Georgian in style.

This site is a great resource for understanding American architecture. I've used it in research for some of my Masonic writing.

"palmetto bugs."

AAhhhh!! I hate those things. I used to spend my summers in NC and they would freak me out! During the night I would hear them scraping along the walls!

I do think the south is beautiful. Too bad I didn't know about absinthe back then. The thought of sitting in the soaking wet heat hearing the bull frogs and cicadas, sipping absinthe...mmm...it would be awesome.

I want to live in the Biltmore estate, it has the perfect absinthe drinking balcony.

:dribble:

Or the nasty crunch sound they make when you finally squish them :puke:

I did a semester in Germany one summer. A small town called Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber.

If you walked in the country side at night, all you heard was crunching under your feet. It came from the snails that were sliding around on the side walks!

Antebellum (when referring to the US Civil War, 1861-1865) does fall within the Victorian era, and isn't really a formal term as far as I know.  It just means "pre-civil-war-era."  A lot of what people usually picture when you say "Suthern Mansion" is actually more Neoclassical, Greek Revival or late Georgian in style.

I find it's often used in period styles discussion for theatre and restoration to describe pretty much that- the pre-civil war era and early civil war era styles and architecture in the US, whereas Victorian is generally used to describe styles and architecture in the UK.

-shrug- It's all overlappy and crazy, and it's all pretty.

An Update! I have finished the photos and I got rid of the graveyard stuff. It's all absinthe and I'm going to mount them on some empty bottles, one of them actually absinthe and another from an admittedly bad wine. Add a little paint and some ink and viole', art. I'll put up some links to the final result when it's done and finished.