Sign in to follow this  
newtothegreenhour

Absinthe Photography

Aloha. I'm working in color for the first time in almost two years and was trying to come up with some ideas for absinthe themed photography. I'm going to be doing poloriod transfer prints with muted colors and pos-neg edges. The process lends itself to Belle Epoch style prints so I thought what subject better than absinthe? So the question is how do I capture our favorite drink without making it trite? Thanks for the advice.

I find combining two vices in one composition is often successful: booze and tobacco; booze and sex; sex and tobacco. Sex, booze and tobacco might be overkill.

Naaaaah. Who am I kidding? That's just crazy talk.

Not a bad idea :devil: I know i need to have a little talk before the show, seems my class is under the delusion that absinthe is the french name for laudanum. About the poloriod stuff Ari, i think B+H Photo on the web has a set up for uber cheap (just don't order on saturday), and a friend of mine made their own, and he's an idiot, so it can't be to hard.

I'll have to look it up. I had a bunch of fun playing with it in a small class I took at the Academy of Arts along time ago.

I'm with Graywolf and Hiram. Sex, corsets, booze and tobacco. A winning combination.

You know, I should stop whinning about not having the money...I just enough for a bottle of Jade and then some to purchase the fabric for this outfit with more needed.

But I do need to fatten the portfolio.

There you go:  A hot chick in a corset, straddling a cabaret chair backwards, sipping a glass of absinthe and smoking a double corona Habano.

Oh, you're ruining a perfectly wonderful moment with cigar smell! How about we double the sex and subtract the tobacco?

I was thinking of combining some shots of bottles and glasses and spoons with this late 1800's graveyard that has some really great iron work and statues. And playing the Squirrel Nut Zippers song "I Raise Hell" or "Wash Jones". All the photos are going to be displayed in an old cypress window bracing, about 5 in all.

The graveyard seems a bit cliche to me. See if there are any nice victorian mansions in your area. Up in Erie, the Historical Society converted two into museums which were great places to visit. I volunteered there whenever I had a free weekend.

Oh, you're ruining a perfectly wonderful moment with cigar smell!
Not a chance. A good cigar smells heavenly, almost like exotic incense. It's those cheap drug-store cigars that smell like crap.

As for muted colors, sepia tones, etc...

How 'bout looking back to a North Africa/French Foreign Legion theme? There you have the muted environmental colors, uniforms and the like. Contrast with the occasional riot of "native" color. Opressive heat vs. the cool tone of louched absinthe. Lots of possibilities.

Leave the tobacco out, though. In my book tobacco is synonymous with cancer. Never even met my grandfather (mother's side) because of smoking and lung cancer. Choked down enough secondhand smoke while growing up to shorten my life a few years. Funny how losing a parent to lung cancer didn't teach my mother anything about smoking... 'Just can't abide the glamorization of tobacco.

My uncle never smoked a day in his life died of lung cancer at 42.

Enjoy it while you can.

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

That bus coming down the block has your name on it.

Yes, but had he smoked...

I readily concede there are smokers out there that live to ripe old ages, some in my own family! Don't get me wrong, if all dangers were avoided it would make for cruelly boring lives. Smoking is just a peeve of mine.

newtothegreenhour: as for the photography, please post examples of your effort! Especially if there are corsets involved.

I've known people who have had both drinking and smoking problems, but done in moderation and responsibly I don't have a problem. There are plenty of things that up cancer risks and I bet almost everyone is exposed to one or the other. Of course there is exposure and then there is Exposure. For example, not wearing a hat outdoor, that's exposure. Standing a mile away from an above ground nuclear test wearing only tinted glasses, enjoying the breeze the explosion provided, that's Exposure. :)

I second posting efforts. Especially if the corset ends up hanging off a chair. :devil:

In my book tobacco is synonymous with cancer... Choked down enough secondhand smoke while growing up to shorten my life a few years.

I'm happy to report that you didn't. The secondhand smoke thing is BS based on bad science.

Just can't abide the glamorization of tobacco.
Lots of folks say the same about alcohol. It's all about moderation.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Taking a thread off-topic is one thing, but doing it to play ping-pong with what amounts to a political ideology is unnecessarily divisive and detrimental to our purpose.