Photo

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Lalaslair

Lalaslair

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

As a recommendation of some of you members my 4th bottle to taste is the Duplais Balance.I realize it takes much time to develop a palate for absinthe but I am totally clueless as to what I am tasting.I am guessing this is what wormwood tastes like,no?

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:50 PM

You're gonna have to give us some descriptor for what you're tasting.

Wormwood tends to add an alpine, slightly bitter, slightly 'minty' flavor with a nice dryness.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 Lalaslair

Lalaslair

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:55 PM

I almost taste a mustiness in it.I do detect a mintiness that flashes by like a speeding car and then quickly disappears.There is no alpine quality to me,however,I've never been to the alps.

#4 rob fritz

rob fritz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:12 AM

Don't make too much about it if you are only four bottles in. As long as you are enjoy your absinthe that is the most important :cheers:

#5 Lalaslair

Lalaslair

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:47 AM

I still have 3 unopened bottles to try.I will just have to come back to it later.

#6 jcbphd

jcbphd

Hooch Essence

• Advisory Board
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:03 AM

It also may help if you read others' reviews of the absinthe you are drinking as you drink then, as their descriptions may trigger a deeper understanding of what you are tasting/smelling.
Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment. ~Four Vines "The Peasant"

Ça descend la gorge comme le bébé Jésus en culottes de velours.

You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough. ~Frank Crane

#7 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:30 AM

Wormwood tends to add an alpine, slightly bitter, slightly 'minty' flavor with a nice dryness.

I find sometimes it has an almost soapy or tart quality too.

It also may help if you read others' reviews of the absinthe you are drinking as you drink then, as their descriptions may trigger a deeper understanding of what you are tasting/smelling.

I find that very helpful. When I first had Obsello there was something I was familiar with but couldn't place not matter how hard I tried. Turns out it was vanilla, once I had glanced at a few other reviews.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#8 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

Ambear, do you sometimes find cilantro to taste soapy? If so, it might be coriander that's giving you that taste.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#9 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:38 AM

Ambear, do you sometimes find cilantro to taste soapy? If so, it might be coriander that's giving you that taste.

No, definitely not. I tend to get a very citrus-y flavor from both, and I'm familiar with a good deal of coriander in my food/drinks.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#10 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:41 PM

I am guessing this is what wormwood tastes like,no?

Try this. It's all helpful, but I've always liked the description in post #22.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#11 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

No, definitely not. I tend to get a very citrus-y flavor from both, and I'm familiar with a good deal of coriander in my food/drinks.

Soapy flavors in liqour tend to come from orris, angelica, or lavender. I've never encountered coriander as lending any soap-type flavors.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#12 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

I've never encountered coriander as lending any soap-type flavors.

I asked Ambear about cilantro because there is a small group of people who have a certain enzyme in their saliva that causes cilantro and coriander to taste very soapy. If you've never experienced that, then you obviously don't fall into that group.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#13 Lalaslair

Lalaslair

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

I cook with a wide variety of herbs and cilantro is loathsome to me as it does taste soapy.I've never seen fresh or raw wormwood in my life so I'm clueless about the taste or smell.I think I'll go to the health food store and see if they have an essential oil open so I can smell it.I really love tarragon so if there is an absinthe that showcases that flavor I'd be interested in trying it.

#14 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,547 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

I asked Ambear about cilantro because there is a small group of people who have a certain enzyme in their saliva that causes cilantro and coriander to taste very soapy.

Oddly, although I used to interpret that flavor of cilantro as soapy, but I no longer do.

Obviously, body chemistry (including taste buds) can change with age.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#15 Lalaslair

Lalaslair

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:11 PM

I asked Ambear about cilantro because there is a small group of people who have a certain enzyme in their saliva that causes cilantro and coriander to taste very soapy.

Oddly, although I used to interpret that flavor of cilantro as soapy, but I no longer do.

Obviously, body chemistry (including taste buds) can change with age.

So is that what happens when you get old then?(giggle)

#16 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,547 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Among lots of other fun things. :thumbdown:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#17 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

I really love tarragon so if there is an absinthe that showcases that flavor I'd be interested in trying it.

St. George has tarragon in it, among other things. Many, many other things.

I suppose to clarify on the "soapiness", it's definitely not a soapy taste meaning the actual taste of soap (trust me, it's happened before), but more that it tastes the way some soaps smell, which I don't find at all unpleasant. It's a fresh and clean taste, without being minty.

Website | Blog | Twitter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association