Sign in to follow this  
TheLoucheyMonster!

For Sale: Microdistillery (dont panic)

Shaker's Vodka closed up shop last year, after just up-sizing to some huge stills just south of Minneapolis.

Mutually exclusive events? I doubt it and I'm not talking bad about any distillery, here. "Huge stills" are frightfully expensive and damn difficult to pay off. The next time you (any of "you") walk into a liquor store, look at the wall of vodka and consider how difficult it would be to crack that wall to get your booze on the shelf. Yikes! Worse, consider trying to crack the wine market.

I can't imagine anyone trying to break into the vodka (or wine) market. Crazy expensive.

Yup, agreed, 1000%. They were doing industrial alcohol though as well, which was the bulk of their business- the kind you don't advertise or market. IA is really what the majority of those companies focus their efforts on. Potable booze is just the gravy that makes them respectable, or... gets them laid.

The entire vodka catagory continues to amaze me (generally in the not good way).

As an amusing circle-back to this story, my wife just met her long lost cousin for the first time on Saturday. Just so happens she bought the distillery with 8 of her friends about 18 months ago. Corin (my wife) brought up my association with absinthe, and it looks like we might have an opportunity to help them revamp their absinthe. It will be a long road, as they don't have any experience or knowledge of absinthe, but that will make it more fun. :)

Small world!