#31 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

'How are you doing?'

"Better than I deserve."

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#32 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,894 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

Shaker's Vodka closed up shop last year, after just up-sizing to some huge stills just south of Minneapolis.

Mutually exclusive events? I doubt it and I'm not talking bad about any distillery, here. "Huge stills" are frightfully expensive and damn difficult to pay off. The next time you (any of "you") walk into a liquor store, look at the wall of vodka and consider how difficult it would be to crack that wall to get your booze on the shelf. Yikes! Worse, consider trying to crack the wine market.

I can't imagine anyone trying to break into the vodka (or wine) market. Crazy expensive.

#33 Larspeart

Larspeart

Advanced 'member'...

• Silver Member
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

Yup, agreed, 1000%. They were doing industrial alcohol though as well, which was the bulk of their business- the kind you don't advertise or market. IA is really what the majority of those companies focus their efforts on. Potable booze is just the gravy that makes them respectable, or... gets them laid.

The entire vodka catagory continues to amaze me (generally in the not good way).

"Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly." - W.E.P. French

We're only immortal
For a limited time.

#34 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

The entire vodka catagory continues to amaze me (generally in the not good way).

Hear hear.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#35 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

As an amusing circle-back to this story, my wife just met her long lost cousin for the first time on Saturday. Just so happens she bought the distillery with 8 of her friends about 18 months ago. Corin (my wife) brought up my association with absinthe, and it looks like we might have an opportunity to help them revamp their absinthe. It will be a long road, as they don't have any experience or knowledge of absinthe, but that will make it more fun. :)

Small world!
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#36 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,169 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

Smaller is better in some cases. Good luck and have fun.

Cheers!

Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association