Sign in to follow this  
Fazza

Hello all! (Question inside)

Good morning everyone!

I'm a newbie as you may already have guessed, this being my first post and only having sampled the delights of cheap supermarket tat. Looks like I've been put into the 'Conned idiot looking for a new high' bracket as I've just purchased some Absinthe King Gold.

Now before you start flaming and laughing at me :laf: , is anyone able to answer a couple of questions for me?.....

1) Is the Absinthe King Gold really *that* bad? - Bearing in mind that its too late to stop the order, so go gentle on me.

2) If money is no object and I'm not looking for massivly high wormwood/alcohol percentage just for the sake of it.... what would be the best bottle for taste and enjoyment you can suggest for a special xmas party?

Thankyou for your time and patience.

- Fazza

:cheers:

1) :o Poor soul...

2) ANYTHING but the afore mentioned. Try one of the Jades series... or Kübler.. or..just.. anything. It's the taste that matters.. not the percentage or the 'wormwood percentage'.

Looks like I've been put into the 'Conned idiot looking for a new high' bracket as I've just purchased some Absinthe King Gold.

I don't know whether you have been looking for a new high or not. You've come here and seem willing to seek information, so you're probably not an idiot.

But conned ... yes.

Welcome!

From what I've read, there are maybe a handful of brands that are actually worse. But anyways, I'd definately suggest some Clandestine.

Fazza, take it from me.

You're not going to trip, no matter how much absinthe you drink. You will however, become extremely intoxicated. And when I say extremely, I mean on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being a complete blackout, drinking a bottle of absinthe will put you around 12 or 13.

Welcome fazza! :cheers: Sorry about the King. You could buy 2-3 bottles that have already been suggested with the money that costs. Check the top of the forum for vendors and get something that has already been suggested. And then read, read, read!

Aloha and Welcome!

My first bottle was the François Guy and I really enjoyed it, I also loved the spoon that came with it (on the LdF site). Speaking of Xmas, I'm debating ordering a Jade, is it really worth it or should I go with two bottles of something else?

Looks like I've been put into the 'Conned idiot looking for a new high' bracket as I've just purchased some Absinthe King Gold. Now before you start flaming and laughing at me...
One of the reasons this forum exists is because we know there are many misinformed/uninformed people out there making the same mistake. Many of the members here got conned when they first started, but as Gertz said, being willing to learn shows you're not an idiot.

We don't do the flaming thing here, not even to people we don't like.

1) Is the Absinthe King Gold really *that* bad? - Bearing in mind that its too late to stop the order, so go gentle on me.

2) If money is no object and I'm not looking for massivly high wormwood/alcohol percentage just for the sake of it.... what would be the best bottle for taste and enjoyment you can suggest for a special xmas party?

1) I personally have never tasted AKG, but anything with wormwood leaves or sticks in the bottle can't be good, and I trust the palates of (some of) my colleagues.

2) There's nothing wrong with looking for good wormwood content/flavor. I personally like an absinthe with the wormwood up front—if it's good wormwood. But I think maybe you meant high thujone content which, as you know by now, is irrelevant.

If money is no object, get a bottle of Jade Edouard and a Clandestine from Bugnon. In my opinion, they're the two best absinthes out there at the moment.

If you're going to be introducing a lot of people to it at a party, make sure you're familiar with proper preparation (link at the top of the page), don't let anyone do shots, and hide the matches! Be firm, be assertive, and make sure that they know...

NO-czechs3a-150.jpg

Yeah, welcome. I nearly made the same mistake 6 years ago. I almost clicked buy, but then decided to see what else I could find, and stumbled upon (YIKES) Sebor. That was back when the only commercially available distilled Absinthe was Segarra. Luckily after that I found Fine Spirits Corner through Feeverte.net, and that saved me a bucket of cash. I was a dumbass though and bought a few bottles from Betty before learning better. Then a couple years later Emile Pernot and François Guy came out and everybody flipped over that stuff, and now they're on the bottom of the distilled absinthe ladder and everybody is gaga over Jade and Clandestine.

It's pretty crazy to think how much the absinthe world has changed in the last 6 years.

Ah, don't feel too badly. Before I found WS, I was surfing-around for some absinthe information, and that was the first thing I ran across. You might look at it this way: I once read in a book on cigars, on the subject of discarding a cigar for a new one, that "if you can afford one cigar, you can afford another." I figure that, if you've shelled-out for the AKG, you'll probably be able to recover and buy something better and more genuine.

On the other hand, the foregoing may only explain why I wasn't an economics major. Always trying to help.

Welcome to the forum--there are alot of great people here!

:)

Thanks everyone!

I'm impressed by the knowledge and maturity of this forum, I have to say.

Well, I've just purchased some 'Absinthe Edouard 72' on the advice of Hiram and others of you. – Hopefully this should suit my end-of-party needs better. I’ll use the King as an expensive rugby boots cleaner then B)

Thanks for your advice on potency too.... I will be sure to take care when drinking. Mind you, us over in the UK tend to start drinking properly between 16-18 (18 being legal drinking age) so I have a few years on the 22 year old yank equivalent. heh - I'm a navy rum and bitter man at heart :devil:

Thanks again,

Ian (Fazza)

I’ll use the King as an expensive rugby boots cleaner then

Be careful not to wreck good boots with bad crapsinthe

Ah! The Edouard! I still haven't ordered any of the real thing (currently, I'm at Mom and Dad's for the holidays, nursing a bottle of Pernod). But I've got a warm little nook in my heart, with Edouard written therein.

Thanks everyone!

I'm impressed by the knowledge and maturity of this forum, I have to say.

Well, I've just purchased some 'Absinthe Edouard 72' on the advice of Hiram and others of you. – Hopefully this should suit my end-of-party needs better. I’ll use the King as an expensive rugby boots cleaner then  B)

Welcome Fazza :cheers:

The Edouard is my favorite! My first bottle was the Jade Verte Suisse, the Jades are at the top of my list!