Sign in to follow this  
TheLoucheyMonster!

Obstinee, Swiss Verte

This is not a new one, it looks like it has been around since the Swiss 'clandestine' era, but is now available. I located a US vendor that has it listed here

Also found it on the wine list for NYC Gramercy Tavern (Along with Meadows of Love!, and St. George)

Some old threads at FV, and also French forum While the limited tasting notes do not look favorable, note that that was 2006, so it is possible that things may have changed since.

HERE is the homepage for the absinthe. The pictures look like this one comes from herbs in a backyard garden, and made on HG size equipment, and from the limited distribution I don't think the makers have scaled-up. Looks interesting, but at over $100 I think it will be a pass for me.

Some other links that may be of interest:

Importer

Sales sheet nice pictures

Distribution

Just saw this absinthe at the local liquor store today. A little surprising since they didn't carry much more than Grande and St George. Does anyone have any word on the new batches being better than the old ones? Given the $90 price tag I think I will be saving my money, but figured I should ask.

My advice would be to use caution. My review here.

In a quick look around, this is what I've found:

- Their site has not changed since I first looked at it in late 2011.

- I've seen lables showing both 60.6% and 69%. The bottle I reviewed is labled 69%.

- The price has come down. I remember seeing this listed online a year ago around $115.00.

- There is not a lot of info in general about this on the net, although in fairness I know it was a tiny batch effort. I bought my bottle directly from the importer and I remember him telling me at the time that he had bought it only once and he took all they had available. If memory serves me, I think he said it was about 80, or so, bottles.

My conclusion is that I'd be surprised if this is still an active effort, since all the available info looks pretty much the same as when I first checked this out a year ago (and there seems to be fewer on-line sources). So in answer to your question, I wonder if there are any new batches. FYI, the hand-written batch number at the top of the rear lable of my bottle (in a field provided for that purpose) is "US04 11". Looks like a month and year to me, and it squares with when I know it was imported and when I bought it. If you get back to that store, I'd love to know the batch of what they have.

Hope this helps.

That batch number seems familiar, but I will definitely check when I drop by there again later this week.

The back of the bottle mentions that they only made "dozens" of bottles per batch which is what made me surprised (and intrigued) that it was in a liquor store with a somewhat limited supply of absinthe.

Thanx, Pierre. I think that's a wise choice. It's one of those things that if you just have to do it, it might be worth the educational experience at half the retail on that bottle. Otherwise you can buy some mighty fine absinthes with that $90.00... and a glass, and a spoon...