Sign in to follow this  
Rabelais

Matter-Luginbuhl Brut de Alambic

Tried the Matter-Luginbuhl Brut de Alambic on several occasions over the weekend, usually as a prelude or follower to a similar Bleu or Jade product for comparison.

The Brut is terrific, very full aroma both neat and when mixed with water, full complex mouth feel without any singularity, didnt taste burnt. Tried it side to side with Kallnacher made with lower dilution, was similar but the Brut was much fuller of both scent and taste. Must dilute out the brut to about 6 to 1 to start begin to get a thin taste, even then the brut seems to surpass the Kallnacher in both taste and aroma.

When tried neat was subtile in the mouth for 81 degree but fiery when arriving in the gullet.

Now hopefully Matter-Luginbuhl will continue to produce the Brut, a one liter or .75 bottles would be nice also. At the price however it does thin the membranes of ones wallet rather quick.

Overall rating 9 spoons as a Bleu, my new favorite.

Also has nice jugs.

The Absinthe that is.

:cheers:

Ok, you guys made me pop open my bottle.

The 'brut' is supposed to be based off the same recipe as BdF, though the fudgerolles has likely modified their recipe over time.

IMO It's a little tastier than BdF; seems to have less of whatever herb is in the BdF that I'm not fond of (sorry I can't be more specific).

It has a thick louche that takes a while to appear, which comes as no surprise since it's bottled at 'still strength.' Mouthfeel is slightly thicker than BdF.

Overall I'd give it a 7¼ (out of 10). For comparison I'd rate BdF a 6¾. While good, these are just not my cup of tea.

Mine's on it's way here now, along with a replacement for my rapidly-draining bottle of Clandestine. I'm really glad LdF started carrying that. ( now if I could just find a source for the Doubs )

I believe Oxygenee said it would be available in late January, but I don't recall which, if any distributor, he mentioned. I want to say Markus, but I won't. I did. Oh well.

:drunk: I made my order today for the brut, clandestine and the Kübler. Hopefully I will be able to understand better, the nuances of each sample.

Sorry, I bought the Brut not Doub's.

From what Oxy has been posting, he's helping them get it online.

I was told (same as WBT) by Doub's December in an email.

This absinthe really suprised me. This is probably the closest thing you can get to a well crafted HG from a commercial vendor. I sure hope they continue to make this one. I'd have to day it is by far my favorite commercial blanche available, and comes pretty close to tying with the Jade Eduard as my favorite commercial Absinthe. It has a wonderful aroma out of the bottle that just gets better and better as water is added. The smell really fills the room. Due to it's strength you really only need about 2/3 of a regular dose, but it is still suprisingly smooth neat, given it's 81.3 percent alcohol. A nice thick louche that builds very slowly, great mouthfeel, and suprising complexity for a Swiss Blanche. I definitely reccomend this one to anyone.

Most blanches are uncolored -- except for the Blanchette. Which raises the question orf whether the pre-coloured Jades also exhibit a yellowish charactersitic prior to the colouration step.

I had a glass of the BdA. I really enjoyed it, though it would definitely be an absinthe that would last quite a while if I got a bottle. I prefer a lower alc. content on a more frequent basis. I loved watching this one louche. When the drops of water hit it, you could really see the suspension between the water and brut de Alambic. Sort of hard to explain in words, but neat.