Sign in to follow this  
Père Ubu

Clearing out the garbage

I can personally vouch for the fact that any newbie I helped run off, most definitely deserved it. B)

Edited by Absomphe

Frequently? Really? You know this how?

And would you like to give a single example of a newcomer being met with unjustified vitriol at FV?

Well, there don't seem to be many newcomers that post anymore (only two entrance threads have had any activity this year, just sayin'), but back a while ago, there were quite a few that came in and were flamed. Some justified, some not. Others read through some threads and were turned off by the direction those threads took.

I only know it because of how many came here and said so, and several others simply told me via PM after I'd tried to privately explain to them the dynamic and to not take offense to it.

Point being, you need to have a thicker skin when you join over there. Some people simply don't want to deal with it. Easy as that.

You can ignore it all you like, but you can't get offended when people point it out.

I'm not offended by people who say they don't like the way they were treated, or the way they perceive someone else was treated, I was offended by one person in particular who used the word "crass" as a generalization for the membership, and who said there was no knowledge to be gained there. It was you who twisted my meaning to get any different understanding of what I very clearly said.

only two entrance threads have had any activity this year, just sayin'

I would settle for one if he or she added value. Just sayin. Anybody can read.

I was offended by one person in particular who used the word "crass" as a generalization for the membership, and who said there was no knowledge to be gained there.

Boy, for an FV regular, you seem to be quite sensitive.

Much worse has been said over there. I'm pretty sure you can handle it. ;)

Or is this simply more of a show to try to drive traffic over there?

I apologize to Oxy for getting diarrea of the mouth about his forum. He has the right to run it as he likes without me talking trash. I'm sorry.

I apologize to the WS, Brian, and Bogumil, as this thread is about his well received booze, and I should have kept my trap shut about other matters.

I'll stick to reading and reviewing.

Thank you Brian for splitting the thread.

Regretfully it is hard to avoid the other forums, with the absinthe world being so small.

And the Wormwood Society world being even smaller.

Value for FV? It is nearly dead.

Reports of its death have been greatly exaggerated. Sometimes it seems interesting enough for Brian to put his foot in his mouth to repost things he shouldn't (I'm not going to diss him, he profusely apologised).

But it's much more like a pub. It's a discussion forum, not one with the same mission to educate. Don't like the flow, don't join. No need to start whinging about it anywhere else; nobody is drafted by force into membership anywhere (not here and not at FV).

Edited by sixela

Jesus Christ people, let it go.

The only reason it was brought up was because a newcomer got confused about names, then was treated like an idiot because of it. It was an honest mistake. The rest is just the same deteriorated mess it always becomes.

Move on.

I should add apologies to LL and FV members. I was skewered here about my lack of absinthe online forum history knowledge, and should have kept my cool. I'll will stick to just reading and reviewing, but thought I add an apology for insulting a whole bunch of people who know a lot more about absinthe, and who had done me no wrong.

Gotcha. I have met some FV members that were very polite and friendly with me. My being peeved at a few folks, don't make it right that I'd slam a whole bunch. Being slammed by tibro does make cheer me up a bit.

University of Slow Learners graduates should be careful when using these new fangled comunication styles, especially spelling challeneged folks like myself.

On the other hand, we learn about how great absinthe and cajun cuisine go together, like they have roots in the same culture even.

Edited by Miguel

Most of the people on ALL of the forums are very nice people when met in person.* Internet chats and forums can make people act differently than they would in real life. It's just the way it is.

*Watch our for that paisley manatee. He'll rip your damned face off. ;)

I came over here right now to apologize, and I would have done that even if Miguel or anybody else had not.

I'm not crazy about the thread being re-designated as "garbage", but whatever.

So, I apologize to everyone here I offended, and in particular Miguel.

I recognize that there are tribes and people join those and support those with which they are comfortable. That's not a problem for me, and Brian is right in that I really wasn't that offended - I just go off sometimes, but lately much less frequently. At least with Internet tribes there is no loss of life and raping of women when the occasional raid takes place.

The whole thing is not as stupid as the scrawled wars I used to see on outhouse walls when I worked in construction - black vs. white, Chevy vs. Ford. Some of it was funny though. I remember:

(Ford owner) - I'd rather walk and carry a Ford hubcap than drive a Chevy.

(Chevy owner) - If you own a Ford, you probably ARE walking.

As you clarified with your comments about FV, I'll clarify about my 'garbage' designation.

There are lots of very good people on all three of the forums. There is also a lot of very good information on at least two of the three ( ;) ). The people aren't garbage. The info is not garbage.

It's the frequent inter-forum fighting that is garbage.

Newcomers to FV are frequently turned off by the ratio of vitriol to information.

Frequently? Really? You know this how?

And would you like to give a single example of a newcomer being met with unjustified vitriol at FV?

I don't see that Brian said the newcomers were specifically the subject of the vitriol, only that they disliked the "ratio of vitriol to information" that they found at FV. I believe we simply have a different threshold of tolerance here for determining when vitriol is indicated, and in what dosages.

I work tirelessly behind the scenes at FV, concentrating particularly on the veteran members with volatile or aggressive personalities. I'm constantly emailing them with guidance, and PM'ing them to remind them to behave as we expect. I meet some in person, and talk to many on the phone, always encouraging them to follow at least our minimum basic guidelines. Despite all this, I'm sorry to say the level of vitriol and gratuitous abuse at FV, both in general and in particular as it's directed at newcomers, remains disappointingly low.

Edited by Oxygenee

Gwydion, I'll be happy to lend you my .45 to put this thread out of its misery. A miss-understanding between southern folk that has been cleared up and rectified.

Gwydion, I'll be happy to lend you my .45 to put this thread out of its misery. A miss-understanding between southern folk that has been cleared up and rectified.

Oh, but that would be censorship. Heaven forbid we should take away anyone's free speech rights.

No, everyone should have a right to go anywhere on the internet and drone on and on and indulge in inebriated and judgement-impaired palaver about the most irrelevant topics and subjective opinions, regardless of how disruptive or unproductive they are.

I haven't yet met a member of the absinthe community that I didn't like. I arrived after the rift, but I have found great value both in WS and FV, and a good portion of their contributing members. It truly is a shame we're not able to at least move on, if not heal some broken relationships. It's also a loss. There sure are some great folk out there who don't talk to each other.

who don't talk to each other.

Remind me to put you on the List of People from Wormwood Society Not to Talk To.

I constantly keep forgetting not to talk to people (people who know me in real life are well aware of that).

In case you missed it (you never know, on this forum ;) ), that was sarcasm. It's not because we're looking for something different in an online forum that we aren't talking.

Edited by sixela

I haven't yet met a member of the absinthe community that I didn't like.

I am in that camp, too. We have so much in common, how could I not welcome an opportunity to share a drink with any member of that community? I became acquainted with many of my dearest friends over a glass of absinthe.

I see no more rivalry between FV and WS than between two friendly teams of softball badminton. While intense at the moment of play, the rivalry is quickly put aside to celebrate.

who don't talk to each other.

Remind me to put you on the List of People from Wormwood Society Not to Talk To.

Ha!

In case you missed it (you never know, on this forum ;) ), that was sarcasm. It's not because we're looking for something different in an online forum that we aren't talking.

No, I got it, Alexis. ;) I'm also not unaware of the breadth of reasons and conflicts which caused the split and which continue to perpetuate the sour grapes. I was simply remarking that it is a shame.

I haven't yet met a member of the absinthe community that I didn't like.

I am in that camp, too.

That's why I continue to no-show. :paperbag3: :laugh:

Edited by Absomphe