monkeycurious

Worst Absinthe Misinformation You Have Ever Heard

The earlier mention of how many people confuse tequila with absinthe rang true, as I had a similar situation - which I think has resulted in an explanation of sorts:

Me: Absinthe, as in an herbal alcoholic drink, popular in the late 19th century...

She: That's the stuff they make from cactus, right?

Me: No, that's tequila, and it's not cactus, really, it's the agave plant.

She: Oh, agave... well, I got the right end of the alphabet, anyway...

Me: *Light bulb goes on* ohhhh... now I understand....

Apparently, the random association with the agave=tequila process makes some people equate agave with absinthe. The factors are all there for a mistake - both high-proof alcohol, one rumored to make Mexicans and Gringos crazy, the other rumored to do the same for the French and Swiss. Both start with "a", and both have (in their cheap, knockoff versions, anyway) the association with some foreign object in the bottle as proof of "authenticity" - with cheap tequila it's the worm, with cheap absinthe it's the wormwood floaty bits. (Not to mention the very association with the word "worm" and a beverage, not something you stumble across often.)

Interestingly, cheap knockoff tequila is mostly grain alchohol flavored with a bit of agave nectar, and cheap knockoff absinthe is grain alcohol flavored with a bit of herbal mix. If only it were so easy to pick a decent wine - you could just avoid the stuff that's grain alcohol flavored with a bit of grape juice and you'd be heads and tails above average as a sommelier. :P

I think I've been doing absinthe all wrong,

"Waterbury cop's son faces drug charges... After the police searched Keegan, his house and car, they found and seized a 1-gallon bag of marijuana, a Mauser 7.65-mm handgun, a notebook containing drug records, 30 cubes of absinthe and $1,021 in cash."

Story

...what's a cube of absinthe? I'm going to take a stab and say the word they were looking for was LSD, maybe Bouillon.

Perhaps they meant a gallon of absinthe and 30 cubes of marijuana. Even that doesn't make sense, but more than the original article. :blink:

Hmm, worst absinthe misinformation I've ever heard....

Anything said by:

Hills

Absente

Alandia

King of Spirits

et. al.

Yep, think that about does it.

Reminds me of some sugar cubes I've seen on Ebay listed with the brand name "Absinth." I wonder if some well-intentioned officer, already seeing a load of other illegal substances and not being familiar with absinthe other than the typical "banned because it kills Frenchmen" wisdom, mistook the sugar cubes' brand name for an indication that they were absinthe. If the Absinth sugar cubes are labelled in Italian or French or Swiss, it could further the confusion. *sigh* :huh:

Absinthe comes from two Latin words, ad and sinistrum, which mean “to the bad”.

(From "stargeek," http://www.stargeek.com/buy_absinthe_online.php) - lots of other fun stuff there that will make you wonder whether you should laugh or cry. I guess you'll just end up doing whatever it is the thujone makes you do anyway, so don't fight it.

:laf: :wacko:

No kidding about the "frozen absinthe cubes" idea. Wow, how low would you have to get on the Kelvin scale to freeze a 70 percent ethyl alcohol solution, anyway? Geez. Maybe NASA needs to look into that as a niche market.

Ugh, I encountered, not really misinformation but just stupidity tonight when talking to a friend online. After mentioning I had been enjoying some absinthe, they asked "are you drinking the real stuff with the wormwood or the clear stuff?" :huh: to which I replied "well, actually I am drinking a blanche, and it does have wormwood in it." Then told her about the Clandestine La Bleue I was having, saying how it came highly reccomended as being one of the better absinthes on the market. The response was "uh no, the clear stuff sux" (making sure to retain the spelling used haha).

I suppose in cases like this its best to just walk away hmm? :wacko:

One time I was in a bar chatting up a friend about absinthe and he told me (in an informed manner) that it is the wormwood combined in alcohol that makes absinthe poisonous. The funny part was that he was drinking a martini at the time.

he told me (in an informed manner)...
They always do. And then they argue with you when you try to school them because they assume the topic is so obscure, everybody must be bluffing as much as they are.

he told me (in an informed manner)...
They always do. And then they argue with you when you try to school them because they assume the topic is so obscure, everybody must be bluffing as much as they are.

A less cynical approach is that the person hears x about an obscure topic, for some reason he doesn't question the source of x (which is often a movie) nor has any other contradicting information and it bounces around his head as true. He becomes prideful he knows x and thinks it might impress people. When he repeats x not only is there pride behind it but he has practically signed his name to it. So finding out x is BS is like a strike to his pride and credibility and thus he fights for the BS.

One problem with people, especially in our Western media culture, is that many of them do not think critically to what they hear or see. If CNN says it is so, then by George it must be. Many do not want to go to the trouble of doing a little research to find the answers. We see it in the various absinthe forums all the time. Newbie comes to the forum asking which absinthe will make him trip balls the most, have the bluest fire when lit, and is the most true ancient recipe from Czechia. There once was an idiot on FV who called himself the "Master Alchemist." What a dolt. Go to FV and search through his threads. No, wait, don't. I can't give you back the time you'll waste reading that tripe.

People are lazy. The internet is one of the most revolutionary tools ever, allowing anyone with a connection and common sense to get tons of information and educate themselves. But few seem to use it. Of course people are pretty resourceful and creative when searching for nude pictures of Britney Spears.

Like recently on myspace a guy asked after buying a bottle of Clan (and maybe others) if all absinthe tastes like black licorice because he doesn't really like that taste.

Black Licorice? Tell them No, some of it takes like green licorice. Then when they look at you funny say " THERE IS NO LICORICE BUT BLACK LICORICE. YOU CAN JUST SAY LICORICE. THE RED STUFF IS JUST CANDY".

Then throw something, and storm away with a wild look in your eyes. I did this at the last party I was at. Hmm, that was three years ago...

That's what it says. I changed the old title a week or so ago. PTFA.

"THERE IS NO LICORICE BUT BLACK LICORICE. YOU CAN JUST SAY LICORICE. THE RED STUFF IS JUST CANDY".

THANK YOU!! I've been trying to tell people that for years. Same thing about white "chocolate."

White chocolate at least gets some legitimacy because it's made with cocoa fat. So it has some link to the chocolate family. Which doesn't make it taste any less nasty. Dark chocolate for me...the darker, the better.

I wouldn't even call white chocolate candy. It is really more of a decoration, in the same way marzipan, sugared violets and the maraschino cherry are more decoration than candy.

Actually, there is also brown licorice from the Netherlands.  [insert beware of the brown licorice joke of choice here.]

But the ultimate is, of course, Dutch double-salt licorice. It's that wonderful ammonia tang that does it.

I wouldn't even call white chocolate candy.  It is really more of a decoration, in the same way marzipan, sugared violets and the maraschino cherry are more decoration than candy.

According to my SO, marzipan is, in fact, one of the four food groups.

Mine as well. She also turned me on to the Dutch salty stuff (she grew up in Holland).

I have some pure licorice extract lozenges. You couldn't really call it candy.