monkeycurious

Worst Absinthe Misinformation You Have Ever Heard

Mindshifter, please excuse Shai - he has a Dune fetish...but who can really blame him?

That link is pretty sad - you found a good one for this thread.

Again, I have to ask, does everyone look at the first link in whatever they're searching for and take what's there as gospel? I'm dating myself, but when I was growing up the phrase "don't believe everything you read" was taken very seriously. It seems the more information people have access to, the less they actually use it. Kind of like having a gym in the basement and never finding the gumption to use it.

The really sad thing is that we see the same misinformation circulated over and over again. Real absinthe may just need a better PR guy/gal.

Maybe we should see if the guy the Hill's company uses is available... :P

The absinthe must flow!

On another note, I like a little sugar in my drink but come on.

?????

The aggrivating thing about these auctions is that the seller knows enough about absinthe to buy decent stuff (their photos often feature Jade or Un Emile), but they present it in ways that boggle the mind.

That stuff in the glass also looks a little too green to be even the old Edouard.

I mean, at least show a little consistency. :wacko:

"Wormwood is related to southernwood and tarragon but different from both in that its oil, along with oil of anise and alcohol, is used in a potent liqueur called absinthe. Absinthe, an addictive narcotic banned all over the world, is habit-forming, can cause delirium, hallucinations, and permanent mental deterioration."

from Herbs & Things: Jeanne Rose's Herbal; Grosset and Dunlap, 1972.

The book's a happy-hippy-witchy kinka herbal from 'those days'. Pretty amusing but with a modicum of useful information as well. She probably wouldn't have reviled absinthe had she had today's information and access. I think she may even have added 'delicious'. :D

This has almost certainly been posted before, but it's so good, it deserves to be posted twice.

Absinth X's College Campaign

If there's an award for most retarded website, (and I'm sure there is), this one would be pretty hard to beat. It just keeps getting better and better.

Somebody needs to tell these bozos that the 18th Century was not the 1800s. Aside from that, I am offended by the use of half naked women to sell their garbage.

Naked women on a web page is fine, but putting that King of Spirits shit and all that rubbish about flaming on the site is seriously coitus interruptus. Thanks for the wet noodle, absinthe college.

hear, hear. And what is with the disturbing trend ow women getting their hands in the way? First GW and now the Absinthe lady.

Naked women on a web page is fine, but putting that King of Spirits shit and all that rubbish about flaming on the site is seriously coitus interruptus.  Thanks for the wet noodle, absinthe college.

I've already suggested Graywolf naked (or with merely a corset) beside a bottle of La Valote Martin, and she's only (and merely) considering it if she gets to keep the (full) bottle of La Valote Martin.

Somehow, I can't bring myself to separate from a perfectly fine bottle of La Valote Martin in this way.

All the more reason to give her a glass of good absinthe. Maybe she will spend more time drinking and less time worrying about what diseases she could get being close to that bottle.

On the side, a couple months ago there was an Advertising blog that derided their "panty remover" campaign as being too close to advertising a date rape drug. It would be like a condom company running a "leave no DNA evidence behind" campaign for their product.

All the more reason to give her a glass of good absinthe. 

Now that I will give her. And whe won't have to undress either (given the fact my wife will be present at the probable gathering, I think it's also much better this way).

I still have to set a date, though.

I have no problem with half naked women selling products that actually have anything to do with women being half naked! I do, however, object to HNW selling a product that is; A. crap and B. not lingerie, gym equipment, body lotion or anything that requires HNW.

Furthermore, (ladies, back me up on this) where is all the advertising with gorgeous, half naked men? Women do the majority of purchasing in our society. What gives?

:angry2:

Point taken. I have no need of HNM gorgeous or otherwise selling me anything. Now, if Maggie would buy me something from Mais Oui or LdF! ;)

Furthermore, (ladies, back me up on this) where is all the advertising with gorgeous, half naked men?

Nobody's asked me nicely yet. ;)

In all seriousness, it does always strike me as odd (or at least worthy of a cocked eyebrow) that even products that are ostensibly aimed toward women use half naked women to sell them. Even clothes.

Furthermore, (ladies, back me up on this) where is all the advertising with gorgeous, half naked men? Women do the majority of purchasing in our society. What gives?

:angry2:

The advertising with gorgeous, half naked men is, for the most part, not aimed at the female demographic. Have you seen the "Boys Gone Wild" commercial? I laughed so hard I scared my children the first time I saw that one. And, why does almost every television sitcom feature an overweight middle aged goofball with a hot trophy wife? Yet another reason not to watch network television. :headbang: