monkeycurious

Worst Absinthe Misinformation You Have Ever Heard

The journey took some days due to the horrible railway

That's crap. The railway system in Europe, and especially France, is fast and efficient. Comments like this make one question everything else said.

"Well I think you should definitely check out he menu page but I like Pernod. They are the origonators. Philippe Lasalle, has one of the most balanced flavors and overall is my favorite. We have several award winners like Absinth Des Alpes and François Gu;, I think you should find out what an award winning absinth tastes like. Tabu Strong is also one of our favorites, and Salvia."

-sinfusion FAQ

Someone really needs to bring them into the 21st century. Lasalla and Tabu as favorite? And what is salvia doing in there? While drinking common sage may or may not be interesting, it's not absinthe.

"Salvia-This is not strictly speaking an absinth though it does contain the same chemical that is found in absinth."

Yep, ethanol.

Well at least they have a couple of Ok selections as they mention the Jades, and DFs and Clans. I wonder how many people will set their Jade on fire. It actually sounds like a cool event, if you could get past the sponsor and all the BS information I bet will be thrown around by everyone at the party.

Maybe shave your head, dress up in green robes, and chant at the entrance while handing out WS FAQs in pamphlet form, asking people to join our commune.

Standing in green robes and chanting? Have you been eavesdropping on my social calendar? :P

As I want to get my hand on some blanches, I probably will be going to the next event, but I'm intending to proseltyze at anyone who'll hold still for it - including the event's organizer.

Like any club, the morons are easily identified - for good or ill.

For what it's worth, I didn't see anyone setting Jade on fire last time. The setup clusters the crapsinthes at one bar, the mid-range stuff at another, and the Jades/high-end brands at a third.

The crapsinthe bar is labeled "The Ritual Bar" and is the designated spot for setting things on fire - methinks they want to limit the use of open flame around so much booze, which shows at least a little caution. In theory, the flaming fratboys are all kept in one, highly visible, place. Fine by me!

- Johanna

Sounds better than I envisioned, hopefully Tabu wont ruin it.

Keeping the fire around one area so it can kill just those people is best. I'm still wondering when a czech manufacturer will step up the fire ritual and start sending bottles of food grade 50% hydrogen peroxide with their absinth to make the traditional "absinth rocket-fuel."

I'm hoping that all the "sponsorship" means is a subsidized price for Tabu (like I care about that) and a preponderance of stoopid branded giveaway items.

If anyone's morbidly curious, I'll post a review of Friday's event over the weekend.

- Johanna

With Pictures... which I expect will have some entertainment value in and of themselves...

I don't think I can fit my camera into my going-out purse (one is rather large, the other isn't) but I'll see what I can do...

Photographing the UV-plushie room might be worth the effort, alone.

- Johanna

Light the host on fire and bitch about HIM being Burnt.

And bring us a photo of the flaming host. This is your mission, should you choose to accept it.

Hey, where's the "Flaming Douchebag" emoticon, anyway?

Close, but no banana --> :blowup:

I thought somewhere on that site it said cameras weren't allowed and would be confiscated... or is that only during "naughty" nights?

Too soon a date but thanks.

Slack, yes it appears that's on their naughty nights.

Edit: On a side note, if I remember my photography legal issues right they are on shaky ground destroying film or keeping data storage devices. Both the photos and your film are your property and anyone who damages or destroys them (besides the police with cause) can be taken up on charges. You can't use any images commercially without written permission and the person in the picture could have some legal action depending on the photos, and they could call the police to confiscate your film but they as private citizens (even non-police security personal) can't legally destroy your property.

Johanna, Jess and I will see you there.

Cool beans. Look for the loudmouthed bespectacled Brit in a full-length cheongsam dress. There shouldn't be too many of us there.

I'll be there pretty early, as I plan to leave early - guess who promised her Anglophile friends she'd watch the FA cup with them at seven-freaking-AM on Saturday morning? *wince* At lleast we'll be at the pub, I can have mimosas.

As for setting the host on fire, don't tempt me. I've had a long week. :)

- Johanna

I'll be dragging my tired butt into a pub to see the match too, after the Friday night Lautrecfest activities.

Fortunately, the kickoff is 10am on the east coast.

Just about the only time I regret being where I am is when I want to watch stuff on the telly in Britain... Thank heavens for torrents. If I didn't get my Dr. Who fix every week, I'd just shrivel up...

- Johanna

I'd rather watch the 80s re-runs.

My kids grew up watching them with me after the news was over every weekday evening, I think it was right after Fragile Rock!

I dug my heels in against a new Dr. Who. I was convinced that the Beeb would screw it up (I was scarred by the Fox telemovie) and it would stink, and that I would then have to get my Dr. Who tattoo removed and, and...

I was pessimistic, to say the least.

Last Xmas, a friend of mine gave me the boxed set of Season 27 (as us stubborn old-schoolers are calling it) and told me to shut up and give the show a chance, dammit.

20 hours later, I picked my jaw up off the floor and issued a mass apology to everyone I'd bitched to.

The new show is different, there's no denying it, but it's also GOOD - and true to the spirit of the original in lots of ways.

Now I have to deal with all the "OMG, Nine is my one-true-Doctor" fans who can't accept David Tennant as the 10th Doctor. Oh boy, does this bring back memories of the gnashing of teeth that occured when Four (Tom Baker) left the show... Talk about the more things change, the more they stay the same...

*looks around* Oh, hell. Did I go off on a tangent? Again? Sorry!

- Johanna

I don't see nuthin' bout no Doctor Who in no Tantrums.

Where's the picture of the Doctor Who tattoo posted? :devil:

I love the fact that the new series has stayed true to the original in terms of the special effects quality.

I dug my heels in against a new Dr. Who. I was convinced that the Beeb would screw it up (I was scarred by the Fox telemovie) and it would stink, and that I would then have to get my Dr. Who tattoo removed and, and...

I was pessimistic, to say the least.

I had pretty much the same attitude that you did. I just didn't want to ruin my Dr. Who experience with it. A friend insisted I had to watch it, that it was truly amazing; and he burned the first season onto a couple of DVDs for me. I was still apprehensive, since he's a huge fan of the new Battlestar Galactica, and I'm definitely not. I tried to keep an open mind going in; but even if i hadn't, it was so good that I'm sure i would have liked it anyway.

I really wish that Chris Eccleston had stayed on at least another season, 'cause I really liked his style. Haven't seen Tennant yet; but I'm sure I'll like it. Billie Piper annoyed me at first, 'cause she seemed like a bit of a bimbo; but did prove to be rather more intelligent and less helpless than her first impression. Not my favorite, but certainly far from the worst one they've had *cough*Peri*cough*.

The invitation made a big deal out the "black tie" nature of the evening, so I wore something approaching late 19th century evening wear. Jessica wore a dress with a terrifyingly attractive corset-like top.

Since I meant to drink, heavily, I hired a car for the evening. It also helped our formalwear feel more appropriate. Sure enough, there was no curbside presence for the event, making it feel more like a speakeasy. Step out of your car into a nearly unmarked door on an urban sidewalk. Climb the stairs to the first landing, where IDs and invites were checked, ( Jess and Carla's IDs were subjected to sophisticated scientific analysis and carbon-dating, I was simply waved through with a gesture of respect one reserves for grandparents and living legends )

This month's event was held at the same venue Johanna described, and it basically seemed like a huge, rambling top-floor apartment, with a rooftop party deck. Each room was decorated with a different theme, an exotic hookah-lounge sort of room, a blacklight room with giant flourescent sea creatures affixed to the walls and ceiling. A black-and white room, a circus-tent theme for the main dance floor. A theatre, where the host did a talk on the history of absinthe (that I was forced to forgo in favor of dancing with my companions, sorry. I know it would have been the stuff of comedy, given what his bartenders were telling people. )

Most rooms had a bar. There were something like 6-7 different bars, each serving a different selection of commercial absinthes and absinths. The first room we walked into had a bar that stocked the Jades, and then, inexplicably, some sort of mandragora liqueur and Tabu, the "Sponsor's" product. I did not , fortunately, see very much Tabu presence anywhere but at this bar, where the bartender, in a combination hindu deity/ chinese Lucky Cat costume, pushed the Tabu so hard that our friend Carla fell for it, and had it served, complete with flaming sugar extinguished by power-louching with water. The Tabu lived up to its name. It should be shunned.

The serving of the drinks, and the prices charged for them, was what kept this event from being satisfying to a real absinthe drinker. By the time I had hit all the bars, I had found a pretty broad selection of drinkable absinthes, more than enough to give somebody a good education in a single night. But, in absolute spite of the Frenchman fountains stationed at most of the bars, the bartenders invariably power-louched the incredibly tiny doses with water from glass bottles with speed-pour tips which sat in a bucket of ice under the bar. I had to be quick to keep them from splashing the water into my drinks, and I gathered a small crowd every time I asked for a double, and put it under the fountain on a slow drip.

The bartenders had all been coached to say roughly the same things about absinthe, in general, and its history. A few oversimplifications ("absinthe became poular in France when a blight killed the wine vineyards. It became illegal when the winemakers wanted their market-share back." ) I didn't hear anything flagrantly wrong, except for the Tabu-pusher's use of the word "traditional" when describing the burning sugar thing. No ballztrippin', no "just like THC", just a universal pronouncing of "louche" as though it was the bobsled event.

But it was the rating of the brands that was the strangest aspect of the bartenders' rap. The Jades were described as being the most authentic reproductions of "real absinthe", but they were not also touted as being the best absinthes on their menu. The LaSalle was spoken of in hushed tones, the Diva was described as a daring new push forward from tradition. The Kübler was always called the "suisse la blue", and described as being the "badass moonshine" from Switzerland that was even illegal there until last year. There was a locked cabinet that contained the Host's personal stash, which we were told was opened occasionally for important guests. This contained the François Guy and the Charlotte.

It was starting to feel like me, Jessica, and the elusive host were the only people at the event who were actually accustomed to drinking absinthe, when I mercifully found Johanna, who had also taken the dress-up memo seriously, holding court in the blacklight room in a floorlength asian dress that would have been elegant in any century. It was actually my very first time meeting somebody in Real Life that I knew from online. It was nice to put lie to the conventional wisdom that you should never mix the two worlds. It was really fun meeting her, and It makes me feel like I'll have friends to see when I go to the next one of these things.

Because I will. In spite of its shortcomings, ( mainly the prices and the lack of absintheurs in the crowd or behind the bar ) the event was fun, imaginative, well attended and well stocked with some good COs that you could just order at the bar, by the glass, right here in the US. It may be a while before the novelty of that wears off.

Sounds pretty good. Even with a super-louche it sounds like they treat their absinthe better than the majority of european bars I've heard about. Talking more highly about the more simple brands makes sense, I doubt many people there could really taste the flavors in the more complex stuff.

Hiram, I was just thinking about that, since they are selling absinthe.