TheLoucheyMonster!

David Nathan-Maister speech

Very nice. I was wondering if "wild" absinthes would be seen on the market ever or if they would just be made in small batches for those in the know.

It's gotta be hard to forage a good quantity of all those herbs from the wild. HG means hunter-gatherer now.

Can't wait to try it out! :dribble:

A good many of our herbs are foraged or "wildcrafted." The wormwood growing wild in our area is one of the things that sparked Ridge. Discovering a favorite herbal cache by a mountain stream or lake is always exciting.

The Sauvage 1804 is made from wild-growing PONTARLIER wormwood - this is what makes it especially interesting, this is the direct natural descendent of the wormwood used for the very first absinthes in the late 18th century. We were particularly careful to harvest only from isolated plants in extremely remote and high altitude parts of the surrounding Jura mountains, none of this came from within 20km of a cultivated field, or anywhere near ANY modern agriculture for that matter (absinthe grows wild on the roadsides in some of the small villages around Pontarlier, but these bushes are likely descendants of garden or cultivated plants). Only this hand gathered wild absinthe was used in the Sauvage, it was not "topped up" at all with absinthe from cultivated plants.

The Sauvage will be available online only through the Emile-Pernot website (with newsletter subscribers getting the first preference), and in the real world, only at the Pernot distillery itself, and in Frederic Rosenfelder's absinthe bar in Antibes (which is the single coolest place to drink absinthe on earth, imho).

Very soon, it's bottled, we're just waiting for the labels from the printer. If you join the Emile Pernot email mailing list, you'll get notified the minute it goes on sale.

Edited by Oxygenee

I should mention that although only now ready for release, the Sauvage was entirely distilled (and traditionally coloured) 15 months ago, so it's had the same type of pre-release ageing that was standard in the pre-ban era. I'm using increasingly long ageing for the Roquette as well, this will continue to be a feature of all future Archive Spirits releases.

Edited by Oxygenee

I expect the flavor to be intriguing, but will the louche and mouth feel be similar to the Roquette's, or more pronounced?

Edited by Absomphe

The Sauvage 1804 is made from wild-growing PONTARLIER wormwood

I have complete confidence that like your reputation, it is exceptional. I can't wait to give it a try.

The source of any herb is the starting point. When the herbs are harvested and how they are cared for determines whether their potential is ever realized (Oxy knows this, of course. Just stating the obvious for WS members' information)

You're right, drying the wormwood under incorrect conditions is probably the no.1 error made by many modern producers. There's a reason so much care was devoted to this in the pre-ban era.

Very soon, it's bottled, we're just waiting for the labels from the printer. If you join the Emile Pernot email mailing list, you'll get notified the minute it goes on sale.

...spring loaded in the 'go' position......i.e. i joined the Emile Pernot mailing list...

Got the chance to be at this special evening together with Oxy, Marc and other absinthe friends. Sauvage is definitely the best absinthe from Emile Pernot right now and I simply loved its wild character.

It was pleasure to get drunk on preban Pernod and Sauvage, thank you again Oxy.

Link to the French forum post with a list of most of the Boveresse photo albums on Facebook. Friday afternoon at Claude-Alain's, Friday night fondue dinner, the Boveresse festival and party, Nico/Diane's bar, and visit to the Secret Fountain and wormwood fields. Some of the better photos have already been censored.

What's this about sausage absinthe? I imagine it would have a lot of fennel.

Oh I see how it is. Only Baubel and Absomphe can toss around terrible jokes, huh? :)

What's this about sausage absinthe? I imagine it would have a lot of fennel.

Or it wood cum in its own banana hammock. :paperbag3:

I'm the terrible joke clown around here, and don't you forget it. :harhar:

Edited by Absomphe

You're right, drying the wormwood under incorrect conditions is probably the no.1 error made by many modern producers. There's a reason so much care was devoted to this in the pre-ban era.

Absolutely.