Sign in to follow this  
Phoney

Imitations with a mugwort base?

There's a popular legend in my country about most modern absinthes 'being made of mugwort (A. vulgaris) instead of grand wormwood because it contains almost no thujone'. I know it's all nonsense, but it's so widespread that even local importers print mugwort as the main ingredient on any imported beverage labeled as absinthe.

I was wondering if mugwort-based brands ever existed, or it was completely made up by some journalists. Once in an interview, a Spanish shopkeeper mentioned that there was such a brand, but I've found no other trace of it (except for mugwort is often used in pastis).

I've heard of mugwort gum and candy being popular in Japan. That's about all I know in terms of mugwort though.

An absinthe made from a mugwort metheglin base, or beer bittered with mugwort/wormwood could be interesting. I doubt that would ever get made though.

That would be one sophisticated absinthe, provided any taste from the base makes it through:) (I'm into making a good metheglin sometime, by the way.)

On second thought, this mugwort-thing may have aroused only because mostly these 2 species (A. absinthium & A. vulgaris) are known here as wormwood (called 'white wormwood' and 'black wormwood', respectively) and perhaps they were thought to be interchangeable.

I know it's all nonsense,

Exactly right. We harvest a few hundred pounds of Grand Wormwood every year...not Mugwort. But I understand. It is amazing what people are willing to believe.

Mugwort was used during the ban. No more ban. No need. Back to grand wormwood.

Unless you have a green eyed boxer. Then mugwort is still important.

Hm thanks, I think that's what I was looking for. Do you know by chance what kind of beverages these were, or what they were labeled as?

I know it's not much important today, but it's the only misconception known to me that I couldn't solve (and as I mentioned, it has some educational significance:)

Some old USA brands of Absinthe substitutes from the 1930s-1940s :

Legendre Herbsaint

L.E. Jung & Wulff "Milky-Way"

Solari's / Jung & Wulff "Greenopal"

Mohawk "Abson"

Debouchett "Alstina"

Lyon's "Jadine"

Good luck finding some of these...

There are more, but I don't feel like typing at this hour.

Edited by thegreenimp