Jetzster

Sipping Absinthe ;) Listenin' to Music

Forgive an off-topic question: Anyone here know of a decent software alternative to RealPlayer? 

RealPlayer is the only program that can play RealAudio files. But if you're just using it for mp3s or such, WinAmp (if you're using Windows) does a mighty fine job of being simple and compact without losing any functionality.

Hedningarna

Do they sing in English on any track or is it only good old heathen Swedish (or Finnish)?

Have they done something in english??? Sounds like heresy to me. I'm not too well informed about what they've done after "Trä" (which I consider one of the most amazing milestones of the scandi music scene).

Wow, Grim its like da javue all over again, I just finished watching I walk the line. So I picked up my ole martin and was playing fulsome prison blues.

I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down, great song.

Small world

Hedningarna

Do they sing in English on any track or is it only good old heathen Swedish (or Finnish)?

Have they done something in english??? Sounds like heresy to me. I'm not too well informed about what they've done after "Trä" (which I consider one of the most amazing milestones of the scandi music scene).

I've heard of some live appearance where they performed "Kruspolska" in English, but otherwise I don't know any record they've made with other than Swedish and Finnish lyrics. Like you say, that would just not be them.

"Trä" is really great! After that, they produced two not equally impressing albums, called "Hippjokk" and "Karelia Visa". (And a retrospective album called "1989-2003".) Today the Finnish girls are no longer in the band.

If you're into this kind of Nordic folk music, you might wanna check out the group Garmarna. Their album "Vittrad" is, just like "Trä", a true gem in this genre. A heathen milestone, carved in wood, clad in hide.

Oh, I sure do know Garmarna; I have Vittrad and Vedergällningen.

From what I've heard, one of the finnish girl is back in Hedningarna, and they've found a replacement for the other one.

The norwegian band Gåte is another personal favourite. They were a fantastic live act, but sadly they've stopped now.

Hedningarna

I've never heard them sing in English; I doubt they have anything in such a vulgar tongue. ;)

After Trä, some of their stuff seems awkward, but Karelia Visa is really nice.

~k~

Hedningarna

I've heard of some live appearance where they performed "Kruspolska" in English, but otherwise I don't know any record they've made with other than Swedish and Finnish lyrics. Like you say, that would just not be them.

"Trä" is really great! After that, they produced two not equally impressing albums, called "Hippjokk" and "Karelia Visa". (And a retrospective album called "1989-2003".) Today the Finnish girls are no longer in the band.

If you're into this kind of Nordic folk music, you might wanna check out the group Garmarna. Their album "Vittrad" is, just like "Trä", a true gem in this genre. A heathen milestone, carved in wood, clad in hide.

Ah... I answered the language question *before* finding this post. I'd love to hear them sing in English; that'd be weirdly great!

I wonder if I have Vittrad... *runs and checks* Yes! So many discs and songs, I forget sometimes if I have a title or have just put it on the Want list. So many... but never too many...

~k~

Busy listening to various tracks by the inestimable Jim Thirlwell (known for his many "band" incarnations incorporating the word "foetus", e.g. "Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel").

Can't say it serves as an agreeable soundtrack to the "L'Heure Verte", but if you are in a manic mood, it is sure to induce uncontrollable twitching. Just about couldn't be more opposite "easy listening". I'm mostly a fan of his early work ("Hole", "Nail", "Sink") since his later stuff is so extreme that even my thick hide has a tough time getting past the crushing wall of sound and rampant mysogeny (among the other offensive terrain he explores).

Jim Thirlwell (Foetus) reviews

Steroid Maximus was a fun ride. Great disc. Jim Thirlwell creates some very enjoyable soundscapes.

I'm just kicking back and listening to some Beefheart/Zappa.

-j.

I see that under the mantle of "Steroid Maximus", there are several releases:

a rare flexi-disc released in "The Catalog" magazine back in 1990 title "Volgarity",

"Quilombo" 1991,

"Gondwanaland" 1992, and

"Ectopia" 2002

Recommendation?

I've only listened to Ectopia, so I can't give you any input as to the other discs. However, knowing how Foetus works, I would assume that Ectopia would be the more matured of the bunch due to how his work seems to evolve. Don't quote me on that though.

It helps as well that it was released on the Ipecac label. Solid group of artists there. I trust most of what comes out of Mr. Patton's hands anyway. Sometimes it may not be your cup of tea, but it is always interesting.

-j.

At my door the leaves are falling

A cold wild wind has come

Sweethearts walk by together

And I still miss someone

I go out on a party

And look for a little fun

But I find a darkened corner

because I still miss someone

Oh, no I never got over those blues eyes

I see them every where

I miss those arms that held me

When all the love was there

I wonder if she's sorry

For leavin' what we'd begun

There's someone for me somewhere

And I still miss someone

When thoughts of restraint surface, I indelibly look to a fine-fine curse word. Takes less energy and isn't considered poor form for a sodden sot.

sodden sot song...

I walk the streets and wring my hands,

trying hard to understand,

but I just can't make myself believe

that it's for good she's gone,

why do I go through this pain,

day and night it's all the same,

heaven help a man like me who walks alone

A man like me can't sit and cry,

I walk the streets and wonder why

a love like ours should go so wrong,

I haven't seen her in so long

The honky-tonks have no appeal,

They don't help the way I feel,

What on earth can ease a heart like mine

That feels it can't go on

Things have changed from what they were,

Life's so different without her

Heaven help a man like me who walks alone

A man like me can't sit and cry,

I walk the streets and wonder why

a love like ours should go so wrong,

I haven't seen her in so long

The honky-tonks have no appeal,

they don't help the way I feel,

what on earth can ease a heart like mine

that feels it can't go on

things have changed from what they were,

life's so different without her

heaven help a man like me who walks alone

"A Man Like Me" by Roger Miller (killer cover by Big Sandy and His Fly-Rite Boys)