Jetzster

Sipping Absinthe ;) Listenin' to Music

Just lately I've heard albums by both Combustible Edison and Kitka, but most recently DeVotchKa's three albums have been getting almost constant play, with an occasional interruption from Gogol Bordello.

Listening to my favorite Dylan album, The Freewheeelin Bob Dylan.

Has my favorite of his songs, "Bob Dylan's Dream".

With half-damp eyes I stared into the room

where my friends and I spent many an afternoon.

Where we, together, weathered many a storm, laughing and singing, till the early hours of the morn

Thanks to a very generous person here I'm listening to the first Laïs album

and really enjoying it!

Though I just got home from the 2nd job, I'm not drinking, and I have to be at work in 5 hours, I still would enjoy this immensely whilst sipping some absinthe.

Thank You!

Zimmy will have his own show on XM radio in March -- just about when the Pogues should be hitting DC.

Somehow I missed this post until tonight. Please explain both!

The father of that guy from the Wallflowers is going to have a radio show? He'll be doing it, or it will be about him?

They're going to DC? Only DC?

Zimmy will have his own show on XM radio in March -- just about when the Pogues should be hitting DC.

Somehow I missed this post until tonight. Please explain both!

The father of that guy from the Wallflowers is going to have a radio show? He'll be doing it, or it will be about him?

They're going to DC? Only DC?

The Pogues are playing a few East Coast shows in March, see here for more details.

As for Zimmy, he's becoming a DJ,

The Airwaves, They Are A-Changin'

Bob Dylan Signs With XM Satellite Radio to Host a Weekly Show

By Paul Farhi

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 14, 2005; Page A01

Bob Dylan -- singer, songwriter, former counterculture figure and voice of a generation -- has added another line to his rsum: radio DJ.

The enigmatic troubadour has signed on to host a weekly show on XM Satellite Radio, the D.C.-based pay-radio provider. Dylan will select the music, offer commentary, interview guests and answer e-mail from listeners during the one-hour program, which will start in March, XM said yesterday.

XM's chief programmer, Lee Abrams, said his company talked with Dylan's management for about two years about the Grammy-winning artist becoming a host. XM declined to say what Dylan would be paid for the multiyear agreement. Howard Stern signed a $500 million, five-year contract with Sirius.

Abrams said that Dylan was attracted by the promise of a national audience, a commercial-free program and "total creative freedom" to air whatever he likes. Dylan also will broadcast from wherever he wants.

"This will be a peek inside the mind of one of the most important songwriters and poets of the 20th century," Abrams said. "He's a mystery to most people."

Once an almost reclusive figure, Dylan, 64, lately has attained about as much exposure as an Olsen twin. This year he gave his first TV interview in 19 years on "60 Minutes," and was the subject of a Martin Scorsese-directed documentary series on PBS in September. His memoir "Chronicles, Vol. 1" spent 19 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list last year.

He also appeared in, and provided the musical soundtrack for, a Victoria's Secret TV commercial last year. The women's undergarment chain, in turn, sold one of his promo CDs, "Lovesick," in its stores.

For Dylan, the XM deal might represent a way to reach younger music fans and stay "relevant" with those who have followed him for decades, said Tom Taylor, editor of the industry newsletter Inside Radio. "Great artists want to stay in front of their fans and want to be discovered by new generations," he said. "They don't need the money or the other things, but they do want to keep their hand in and stay current."

Dylan, who performs as many as 100 dates a year, is easily the biggest musical name to host his own radio program. Steve Van Zandt, of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, hosts a weekly two-hour show, "Little Steven's Underground Garage," that's syndicated to stations across the country (including WARW-FM locally). And XM previously signed programming deals with Tom Petty, Snoop Dogg and Quincy Jones.

Taylor said Dylan has a loyal following but has "never been a huge seller. He's a tastemaker, someone other artists watch." As such, his hiring "is a niche for XM. It's prestige."

a national audience, a commercial-free program and "total creative freedom" to air whatever he likes. Dylan also will broadcast from wherever he wants.

If that's truly the case, that's the way it should be! Bad ass.

:drunk: I would really enjoy sipping Absinthe in a newly franchised Moulin Rouge in LA, as a can can ladies line danced to Mannhein Steamroller's version of A Sound of Music.

Hendrix,....... 1983 A Merman I should turn to be, is perfect absinthe drinking music.

INDEED!

:cheers:

I've replied to this in other forums, but I don't mind repeating myself. I like the Orb, Miles Davis, John Fahey, Moondog, Erik Satie, Yazoo label stuff.

“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.” - Aldous Huxley

A few from my mixed tapes/mp3 playlist:

16 Horsepower, Alan Parsons Project, Apocalyptica

Bauhaus, Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals, Benny Goodman

The Beta Band, Billie Holiday, Blue Öyster Cult

Bongwater, The Butthole Surfers, The Dandy Warhols

Dead Can Dance, Flogging Molly, George Harrison

Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Grateful Dead, Hedningarna

Iggy Pop, Jethro Tull, King Crimson

John Coltrane, Jimi Hendrix, Dave Brubeck

Johnny Cash, Keb' Mo', Kronos Quartet

Leonard Cohen, Mazzy Star, Lilium

Louis Armstrong, The Mekons, Mercan Dede

Miles Davis, Neil Young, Nina Simone

P J Harvey, The Pixies, Pink Floyd

Queen, Radiohead, Ry Cooder

Sorten Muld, The Rhythm Devils, Sussan Deyhim

Sigur Rós, Shriekback, Sonic Youth

Tool, The Velvet Underground, The Violent Femmes

Warren Zevon, Woven Hand, Yo Lo Tengo

~k~

Forgive an off-topic question: Anyone here know of a decent software alternative to RealPlayer?

Some sites (like one Kronkaphone recommended) require it. I have RealPlayer, but I don't like to open it. It's obnoxious, cumbersome, intrusive, and usually crashes my system. Thanks.