Jetzster

Sipping Absinthe ;) Listenin' to Music

The boss just left for the day and I'm at my desk listening to Dark Side of the Moon, eating dark chocolate M&M's and sipping Trul 1792.

Two out of three ain't bad. *devil grin*

Darkside + absinthe = great combo. Done this many times. Bought the wife the 5.1 SACD with just this idea in mind. Too bad my DVD player doesn't decode the ancient SACD format. Gyp. In fact, I've been hard pressed to find any that do any more. I don't even think the newer generation of "play everything" Blu-Ray's can read 'em.

Decided to go with a little Boards of Canada along with a little sipper of VC. I might move into other territory as the night goes on, though this remains to be seen.

Precenphix is a man that knows good music. I have most of the stuff you just mentioned.

I'm in the mood for some synth or Electronica. Maybe The Polish Ambassador or Astral Projection. Or perhaps some Lusine ICL that a good friend recommended.

Too bad my DVD player doesn't decode the ancient SACD format. Gyp. In fact, I've been hard pressed to find any that do any more. I don't even think the newer generation of "play everything" Blu-Ray's can read 'em.

My 8 year old DVD player just died, so I ended up getting a Sony HTIB. The upconvert DVD changer supposedly plays SACDs. I'll try it out tonight and let you you know.

But first, some Leopold Bros. and Frank and the Captain's Bongo Fury.

Edit: wrong album title

Precenphix is a man that knows good music. I have most of the stuff you just mentioned.

I'm in the mood for some synth or Electronica. Maybe The Polish Ambassador or Astral Projection. Or perhaps some Lusine ICL that a good friend recommended.

Thanks, bruv...never heard of Polish Ambassador. I'll have to look that up YouTube style before I purchase / download any.

Checking out a couple DVR'd cooking shows before the sonic assault continues. I'm in the mood for some minimal, evolving drone type material right now. Something that won't wake the wife with a lot of beats once she conks out for the final day of the week (being unemployed has its benefits in some regards). I'm thinking along the lines of Loscil or Autechre vs. the Hafler Trio.

I saw Autechre last year at The Black Cat in D.C. They played in complete darkness, behind two monolithic monitors. I was at an angle from them, so I could vaguely see them from the glow of their equipment. It was a short but great set.

precenphix, the SACD I tested works in 5.1, and it's not one of those things where the receiver spreads a stereo signal across all the speakers. Standard CDs only play in stereo on my system. So, if you ever have to get another surround system, I'm guessing that most if not all Sonys will read SACDs.

Are you talking your player? What are you using? My next upgrade will be something Blu-Ray, so if it's anything under that, I'm afraid it's not going to cut the mustard. My receiver can handle anything at this point, save for any HD-audio formats. That'll come along with my Blu-ray player upgrade.

There are quite a few relics on SACD I'd like to flag down, but only if I'll get the separation I'm looking for. DVD audio is the way to go now, but a lot of the old re-masters aren't presented that way yet...

compiling a Heavy-themed comp, Motörhead, AC/DC(big balls anyway), Sabbath, Slayer, Soundgarden, Henry Rollins, Celtic Frost, etc. etc....all loud and shit. Polishing off the last vegetation-laden remnants of my swiss Marteau. Makin' chili and leanin' on the peppers....

Decided to go with a little Boards of Canada along with a little sipper of VC. I might move into other territory as the night goes on, though this remains to be seen.

I'm likin' the Boards, but not today! :dev-cheers: :dev-cheers:

I saw Autechre last year at The Black Cat in D.C. They played in complete darkness, behind two monolithic monitors. I was at an angle from them, so I could vaguely see them from the glow of their equipment. It was a short but great set.

Had the opportunity to see them twice in DC and passed it up. A good friend of mine saw them once and said it was the most boring thing he'd seen on stage. This is an electronic music fan, too. He's seen plenty of laptop sets. Ah well...I still love the records...or most of 'em, at least.

Anyway...

It's turned into a mix 'n match on the iPod this evening. Loads 'o early IDM mixed with more current experimental. Beautiful evening.

All of this matched up with a bit of VC and some :censor2:, which I'm embarrassed to say I'm 5 drinks away from draining, and a couple nips of :censor3: which I'm still storing up for a meeting with the "PA Crew™" and hopefully Phoenix if I can actually make it.

The night promises to get better, I guess. Though I can't seem to shake the blues I've picked up in the past four days. It's getting worse...

Had the opportunity to see them twice in DC and passed it up. A good friend of mine saw them once and said it was the most boring thing he'd seen on stage. This is an electronic music fan, too. He's seen plenty of laptop sets. Ah well...I still love the records...or most of 'em, at least.

I have to disagree wholeheartedly with your friend. Ae live is one of the only times I feel the urge to dance my ass off. Their last tour was industrial-electro-techno mayhem!

Since they have stated they don't mind others recording their live sets, here you are: http://drop.io/autechre

It doesn't hurt that Sean Booth was rocking both Elektron synths--they are truly instruments. They brought their own subs and the bass was *tight as hell.*

BoC--which one(s)? (I could see us needing to start our own emusic geek-out thread! :cheers:)

Are you talking your player?

Yeah, it's one of those things where the DVD changer and receiver are one unit. It's an upconvert, but if Sony is putting that (albeit old) SACD reading ability in their cheaper players, I would think their Blu-Ray players should read them as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong about that, though. I've stopped trying to make sense of Home Theater. Pioneer, who hands down make the best plasma TVs, announced they're no longer going to make TVs and are solely focusing on audio.

Grease is the word.

Gaaaaaack! It's stuck in my brain!*

*Until the end of March. $15 for General Admission, $10 for students and Senior.

Since they have stated they don't mind others recording their live sets, here you are: http://drop.io/autechre

Goddamn! I'll be there tomorrow morning!

BoC--which one(s)? (I could see us needing to start our own emusic geek-out thread! :cheers:)

Geogaddi. By far my favorite record of theirs. Campfire Headphase is a wonderful nostalgic trip, In Beautiful Place is right up there with Trans Canada...but Geogaddi is their magnum opus. So much beauty and so much hidden in the audio. Gorgeous.

Geogaddi. By far my favorite record of theirs. Campfire Headphase is a wonderful nostalgic trip, In Beautiful Place is right up there with Trans Canada...but Geogaddi is their magnum opus. So much beauty and so much hidden in the audio. Gorgeous.

Nice. Geogaddi definitely feels the most complex and layered, both individual tracks and the album taken as a whole. As such I feel like I'm still digesting it to this day. It also strikes me as the most immediately dark release of theirs. Music Has the Right to Children was the first I heard, so there's that sentimental connection and so many gems. For me, In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country is a perfect EP a single unit, and I've found it feels appropriate listening for all seasons and all weather conditions. I really like Left Side Drive off Trans-Canada, though it doesn't hold up for me as an EP release. Everything You Do Is a Balloon has to be one of my favorite tracks of theirs. Campfire Headphase is really nice--summer warmth. /geek-out :twitchsmile:

I got 'em all. I usually just put em on shuffle. I also have a coupla setlists drawn therefrom, after 2 years I am only starting to know the song titles....

....Orange.

I've got a considerable amount of their very early work as well. Some of it's hit or miss, but you could tell what was to come.

I've also managed to flag down all the remixes they've done for others over the years. The latest is a stellar rendition of Why?'s "Good Friday". YouTube it. Excellent stuff. If you haven't heard what they did for Beck's "Broken Drum", I would highly recommend looking into getting yourself a copy of that as well. So lush.

Beethoven's 5th (shut up, haven't tapped the classical repertoire in a while) and now Tchaikovsky No. 6 "Pathetique". Brilliant!

*EDIT* Man, March Slave is a cool piece; one of the most fun I ever had the chance to play!

Had a dandy rouge HG ealier, and now some La Coquette with some audal inebriation as well from Shark Quest. Thanks Bruce. :twitchsmile:

Beethoven's 5th ...

and now Tchaikovsky No. 6 "Pathetique". Brilliant!

Yes.

Yes.

Personally, I'm partial to Mozart. "Serenade No. 10 for winds" is (IMHO) one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever.

Bjork's "Army of Me" while drinking some Eddy.

Oh, man. I'm a huge Bjork fan! Homogenic and Vespertine are my faves, but Post was great too.

What did you think of her work for the soundtrack to Drawing Restraint 9? I was able to see the film in D.C. a few years ago, and I guess I have a high tolerance for slow moving art films with little or no dialogue. I enjoyed it. My girlfriend at the time was so mad at me for taking her to see it, though!

Personally, I'm partial to Mozart. "Serenade No. 10 for winds" is (IMHO) one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever.

That happens to be one of the only pre-20th century pieces of music that explores all uses of the bi-labial fricative.

Phhbb. :tongue:

I've got a considerable amount of their very early work as well. Some of it's hit or miss, but you could tell what was to come.

I've also managed to flag down all the remixes they've done for others over the years. The latest is a stellar rendition of Why?'s "Good Friday". YouTube it. Excellent stuff. If you haven't heard what they did for Beck's "Broken Drum", I would highly recommend looking into getting yourself a copy of that as well. So lush.

Yeah, what early stuff I've heard is mostly a prequel to the skilled composition to come.

Nice! I really like the remixes I've heard. My fave of those I've heard is their remix of Mira Calix's "Sandsings." I'll check out those you mention. Thanks!

Beethoven's 5th ...

and now Tchaikovsky No. 6 "Pathetique". Brilliant!

Yes.

Yes.

Mozart is some of the most fun music to play. He loved his bassoons!