Jetzster

Sipping Absinthe ;) Listenin' to Music

After my recent (large) absinthe orders, I felt it prudent to make myself feel richer and more important than I actually am.

Jade Verte Suisse. Chopin. Candlelight only.

:euro:

I was just reading some of the posts from late December, and I don't know how I missed the stuff about Be Bop Deluxe until now. I still remember the first time I heard them. About 8 years ago I was in Plan 9 records in Richmond, and they had 'Live in the Air Age' used on vinyl for $3. Since then I picked up everything they did on cd, plus some of Bill Nelson's solo stuff.

'Sunburst Finish' is my favorite, but I like 'Futurama' almost as much.

Right now I'm listening to the Monks, which I can thank Joe for recommending to me a couple of years ago. Psychic TV has a Monks cover on the vinyl version of their new album, by the way.

Lusine Icl - Language Barrier

This is the quintessential absinthe record of the past year. Trust me. It's a cheap download away and well worth the money. Wonderful stuff...

Tally Ho, this is what I was talking about at Butch's.

A little Voyager, and a sample bottle filled with L'Italienne I'd completely forgotten about.

The perfect balztrippin™ accompaniments to vintage psychedelia like The Thirteenth Floor Elevators' Easter Everywhere, and United States of America. :twitchsmile:

Have you seen the Roky Erikson documentary "You're Gonna Miss Me"? It's kind of painful to watch at times, but it's definitely worth seeing. It looks like Roky may have finally gotten himself together (for the most part). I missed him on Austin City Limits last year, but everyone I know who saw it said it was a great performance.

I saw it a few months ago, and painful is definitely the right word for it. My first girlfriend took one trip too many, andshe never really recovered (it was at about the same time Roky lost it), so I'm glad to hear that he's finally coming back.

Saw it a few weeks back on loan from a coworker, most compelling. But then I like Crumb.

It is good to see him bouncing back, that Rusk shit is harrowing.This is not the place for me to offer my full opinion....!

Right now I'm listening to crank calls made by John Trubee.

I like Crumb as well. That was recommended to me by a music manager at a chain in the Southside suburbs of Richmond a few years back when I lived over there. There weren't, and still aren't, any mom and pop music stores in that area nor will there ever be. He tried to bring in a lot of stuff that normally flies under the radar of chain stores, and he really knows his stuff. He's a really cool guy and I even had a glass or two of absinthe with him a few years ago.

I was in the area yesterday and stopped in to say hello and browse the selection, and he told me his store is eliminating almost two thirds of the music in their store. He recommended a book to me,

Appetite for Destruction, which is about the music industry completely dropping the ball when music started being digitized, and the effects it's having on every aspect of the music buying experience. Even the really good independent store where I live now is looking pretty bare.

Before long, the only options to buy good music will be ordering it online or downloading it.

On the bright side, challenge inspires creativity and the people who have the desire to make something original will get their ideas out one way or another.

Also, vinyl is making a slight comeback. With a lot of labels putting free download coupons for the album inside the record sleeves, it takes care of collectibility and portability in one purchase. Even Best Buy has started carrying some titles on vinyl.

actually, we have hip hop to thank for that. it seems only kinda strange, 'cuz the stereotypical vinyl junkie is some kinda oldschool indie/punk/whatever type. But the homeboys will straight up press their own--they have, will, and probably would rather have it that way-- if record companies completely discontinue vinyl.

Have you seen the Roky Erikson documentary "You're Gonna Miss Me"? It's kind of painful to watch at times, but it's definitely worth seeing. It looks like Roky may have finally gotten himself together (for the most part). I missed him on Austin City Limits last year, but everyone I know who saw it said it was a great performance.

Oh man, worth it for the solo performance of 'For You' alone. Best.

I'm not really a fan of Roky's later, more psych material, but earlier rock n' roll is awesome still.

Many worse things to be than a librarian, especially a librarian of absinthe! :drunk:

Plus, I think they're called information scientists, now. :pirate:

Haven't decided yet. Up in the air between Fred Frith's Guitar Solos, Porishead's Third, Odd Nosdam's Burner, a little Stockhausen, a little Boards of Canada or my favorite standby -- Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Vol. II. I'm in a mood for the abstract, so that might be the way to go.

Let yinz know in a couple hours.