Here are some that haven't been mentioned (I think), but would be fun:

Esquivel

Astor Piazzolla

The Creatures

Soundtrack to Koyaanisqatsi

Antonio Carlos Jobim

Henryk Gorecki - Symphony No. 3

and The Residents could be interesting

I have a complilation CD called 'Voices' that has a lot of Bulgarian music on it that I am going to put on for my next glass.

So, are Grim and I the only ones that LOVE Tom Waits? I have a friend that is one of the lead singers in a Tom Waits cover band. She also does a mean Billy Idol and Johnny Cash. They were playing a lot in Prague this summer. She also won the Czech National Karaoke Championship this year. She'd only been in the country for 4 months!

You can hear her here. Go to the Audio Section.

Thanks for asking Elf. Things are getting better everyday and we really appreciate everyone’s concern. I posted more details below in the Georgia Gathering thread.

Meow!

The mister was completely crushed because Mr. Waits was playing in Antwerp last year during the time that he was originally supposed to be there for his residency. Unfortunately, we had to push it to the beginning of this year.

I have a complilation CD called 'Voices' that has a lot of Bulgarian music on it that I am going to put on for my next glass.

Bulgaria and Macedonia have spawned some of the worst booze and some of the best music I know of.

'Voices' - sounds like it could be with the choir 'Angelite'?

You know....I believe it is. The tracks that list them are primarily women's voices. I looked around for some of their other stuff a couple of years ago and remember coming to this site. Have you seen them perform before?

There are other artists that are on the CD:

Hamlet Gonashvili

Tinovox

Sarband

Tam Echo Tam

Yoon/Bunka Earborn

Mikhail Alperin

Oh yes, and I forgot to add Sigur Rós into the list of some good green music.

Have you ever heard of Christiskov? He wrote some really nice Bulgarian fiddle tunes. My teacher has a bunch of his stuff (she's from Bulgaria as well).

And of course I have to agree with all the impressionists mentioned, especially Satie. I would not be surprised at all if Satie was an absinthaholic. Of course, he probably had the stuff that really did make you crazy.

You know....I believe it is. The tracks that list them are primarily women's voices. I looked around for some of their other stuff a couple of years ago and remember coming to this site. Have you seen them perform before?

Not those, but another choir called Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares. It's the same peculiar, nasal style of singing. Very fascinating. These ladies have some incredibly powerful voices.

Have you ever heard of Christiskov? He wrote some really nice Bulgarian fiddle tunes. My teacher has a bunch of his stuff (she's from Bulgaria as well).

Never heard that name.

I once heard a bulgarian folk clarinetist named Nikola Yankov. He grew up in a tiny village and played at weddings etc. He had never been outside the country before a danish musician turned up, heard him and decided to drag him up here to introduce him to us cold-blooded scandinavians. Now he comes here once a year or so and has a dedicated following. He is simply amazing.

Satie is a must for any absintheur or absintheuse.

Please, I was into Tom Waits years before "Nighthawks at the Diner", which was before most of you young'uns was old enough to get away with usin' yore fake i.d.

Damned whippersnappers.

I've been extolling Wait's virtues/vices for years. I got acquainted back in '76, mined back to his first lp (Closing Time) and have kept up ever since. Sadly, many folks can't get past his voice, their loss... I always thought his "gargling razorblades" grumble/raspiness suited his themes perfectly.

As for the Residents, their recent "Demons Dance Alone" is truly outstanding and probably some of their most accessible music. I had a "new wave" show on the Louisiana Tech University radio station ('81-'82). Shocked quite a few folks when I played the Residents. Even had a caller threaten to burn the station down if I didn't play some "real" music like Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird". Needless to say it didn't fit the show so I risked it... :devil:

My biochemistry teacher did have to let me know he got a chuckle when I played "Teenage Enema Nurses in Bondage" by Killer Pussy (a band from Phoenix - my home town).

I double heart Waits. His song about Neal Cassidy got me hooked.

I really must confess that I like Bjork, also.

Have any of you heard Os Mutantes? Beautiful! Worth a search, if no.

xoxo,

sand

I've been a Tom Waits (birthday in one week) fan since Small Change (1976). A friend turned me on to him and I thought "What's with the weird old black guy?" until I started listening to the lyrics and found out it was a skinny little white kid. I'm a sucker for good writing. But then, I like Leonard Cohen.

Re: Bulgarian Choirs.

I first heard this type of Bulgarian folk music in 1981, on a Nonesuch disc made by Philip Koutev in 1959. I loved it! It's still recorded and performed alot.

There's an American group called "Kitka" (they have a web site), which I heard in Elgin a couple of years ago. They have that style down--EXCELLENT performance!