Jetzster

Sipping Absinthe ;) Listenin' to Music

HBP and Modest Mouse. Trying and failing to recreate their concert from the other day. The best concert I've ever been too. :headbang:

The Chicago soundtrack. No, not the band! The "Cell Block Tango".

"He had it coming! He had it coming! He only had himself to blame. If you had seen it. If you had been there. I bet you would have done the same!"

I'm listening to Faith and the Muse.

In kairos hour I bequeath Confusion of my sole belief

Consider: am I god in mortal shell Yet shine no brighter than myself

Invaded by life's patriarch Who conquered me through hatred's art

With fists of all unspoken sin Agrip'd my angered heart within

And blood unknowing humble flows Deity's miscarried ghost

For here my innate children prey Un-nursed and unhealed wounds betray

A swollen rage: my numen's breath Of fire yet demotic sense Weakens me

Mysterious misanthropy Rejects its own humanity

I give thee name Yet keep the blame

That is my one possession Wherein lies the lesson

Ah, Muse. Dig the way that singer of theirs shrieks sometime! I'm sure you've heard their cover of Feelin' Good? I think I'll get that out and listen to it...

Check out this guy. http://www.myspace.com/jasonwebley . He started out as a busker in the Washington area, now he is touring around. Reminds me a little bit of John Waits. Nice and dark and spooky.

Listen to "Dance While the Sky Crashes".

"We've all begun to die, and we don't know what to do.

And it hurts to pray to God, when God is dying too."

I could easily imagine him and his accordion playing in the corner of a dimly lit Absinthe bar at the turn of the century.

Edited by Poor

Nope, I've been listening to Tom Waits for a long long time and he takes up a considerable size of my music collection. I've been a musician for about 17 years and he has been a big influence on, and inspiration to, me.

We like him too. We also like John Hammond's Wicked Grin......where he does Tom Waits songs. I made my own compilation adding Tom's version and John's version......it is great.

Love swordfishtrombone. Rain Dogs and Mule Variations are also absolute favorites for me.

Unfortunately, all I have stuck in my head is

byebirdielogo.gif

Opens August 17th in the Flathead Valley.

I am rather fond of Tom Waits.

whats your fave album or song?

and what do you play?

Don't have a fav song, that's impossible to choose. Albums, all of them. But I like especially Heartattack and Vine, Mule Variations, Alice, Rain Dogs, Closing Time, and I like Orphans -- there is some good stuff on that.

I've played guitar for about 17 years, I play a little piano but I no longer have one since moving. Also have an accordion, and a sitar. The sitar is quite challenging, especially to learn it properly in the hindustani music context (and finding an instructor is even more difficult). But just tuning it is an adventure in and of itself. :) I have a few other instruments like a theremin, an old magnus chord organ, harmonicas.

I like vintage gear -- my wurlitzer accordion is from 1925, and both my current guitars are old obscure Silvertones from the early 60s. One of them has an amp in the guitar case -- it's pretty cool. Also have a '58 Harmony H44 (just like Tom Waits plays - also Ritchie Valens, and John Hammond). You'd never think such a crappy guitar could be so sought after. I used to play Gibsons and Fenders and such, but they got boring to me. I like the old, weird stuff you find at garage sales that people want to throw away.

Ted and I actually had a lengthy conversation about music gear at the WS dinner at TOTC. He has quite a bit of great vintage music gear.

post-371-1186463467_thumb.jpg

My mom was in that musical when she was in college.

I said... John Waits?

I seriously have a problem.

Maybe some Pink Freud will help me get to the bottom of this.

As long as Tom doesn't hunt me down and gut me like a fish first.

Nothing like a slip of the tongue to inspire a visual pun.

Likewise, it is hard to pick a favorite Waits album/cd. I've been listening to the Orphans set in between re-listens of his older stuff. That 3rd Orphans disc has outrageous cuts. Where'd he dredge up the sound for "Dog Door"? Can't get the repeated line "She's got me coming through the dog door..." out of my head.

I'm listening to Jaco Pastorius' s/t cd and enjoying the first sazerac I've ever made that doesn't taste like garbage.

Where'd he dredge up the sound for "Dog Door"? Can't get the repeated line "She's got me coming through the dog door..." out of my head.

That song was originally on the Sparklehorse cd "It's a Wonderful Life". I think Mark Linkous had more to do with that sound.

Tom Waits played a convincing bug eating Renfield in Dracula.

Bessie Smith. Wow! I love her! I first heard about her when I was cast in the play "The Death of Bessie Smith". I played a racist nurse who wouldn't allow Bessie in the white hospital. It was so much fun playing the bitch. I was soooooo evil. You know you've done a good job when the audience claps when your character is slapped in the face.

I'm sure EVERYONE here knows this already, but Conrad Birdie is a play on the name of what popular '50s rocker? Hint: He is best known as a country singer now.