Jetzster

Sipping Absinthe ;) Listenin' to Music

We're pretty arty around here. We should all switch sexes in 2008. It'd make for some really interesting discussions.

I'm not sure s/he would call it a "sex change" so much as an attempt to defy concepts of gender entirely. So now there's a new PTV album AND Throbbing Gristle album I have to get.

For those interested in defying the concept of gender completely, might I recommend Kate Bornstein's My Gender Workbook.

I would also like to point out my amazement that I even know who Throbbing Gristle is, thanks to my always lovely S.O. :heart:

Sounds like a keeper. About nine years ago, a casual acquaintance of mine who worked in a record store gave me a Throbbing Gristle box set. She said that nobody was ever going to buy it anyway. Fast forward seven years or so and we run into each other. We started dating and we've been together ever since. And you all thought that there was nothing romantic about Throbbing Gristle.

Brooks reminded me of a Lewis Black routine. "That's right, NyQuil makes a dandy eggnog. Oh yeah, my friends bitched through the whole party, 'This tastes like shit!' But at the end of it, we had a fun sleepover."

I think I'll stick to absinthe.

And NyQuil.

Supposedly, Charlie auditioned to be one of the Monkees. Really would have been a different direction for Peter, Mike, Davey and Mickey.
Speaking of Peter, some one sent me this today.....

post-143-1182392154_thumb.jpg...Sigh. Sic transit gloria Monkee.

I'm not sure s/he would call it a "sex change" so much as an attempt to defy concepts of gender entirely. So now there's a new PTV album AND Throbbing Gristle album I have to get.

Any good shops here in Minneapolis?

That's not Peter. That's Mike.
Thanks. Shoulda said "Speaking of Monkees." Someone mentioned Peter earlier in the thread.

MPC- as far as independent record shops for music like that, we don't have as many good ones as we used to. It's a real shame how many have closed their doors. Try Cheapo in uptown or maybe Treehouse Records on Lyndale avenue. I'll PM you if I think of or run into any other good ones.

Listening to the new Dødheimsgard, Supervillain Outcast. This should be essential listening for all open-minded metal fans.

All this sex changing monkey business is about to make me go apeshit. It's time for some Zepplin, Doors, and The Band.

Czch-styl Zpplin mind you.

We're pretty arty around here. We should all switch sexes in 2008. It'd make for some really interesting discussions.

Not me. I like being girly.

...and a new Thee Majesty in a month or so. For some reason it isn't being mentioned on GPO's website, though.

The interesting thing about P-Orridge's "changes" is that he and his wife are trying to resemble each other as closely as possible. He's supposedly keeping his sausage.

Throbbing Gristle are currently working on their next album, a cover of Nico's Desert Shore album.

Genesis was about a foot away from me at one point during one of the opening act's sets at the PTV record release show. I wanted to ask him to "tell me about magick...", which was what he asked when he met Brion Gysin. I decided not to, since he was probably busy and stuff.

Without makeup, and dressed in casual clothes, he looks surprisingly like Iggy Pop. With boobs.

MPC- as far as independent record shops for music like that, we don't have as many good ones as we used to. It's a real shame how many have closed their doors. Try Cheapo in uptown or maybe Treehouse Records on Lyndale avenue. I'll PM you if I think of or run into any other good ones.

Thanks, Selmac, I'll check them out!

Ubu, yeah, I heard in person the sight is a bit on the horrific side..not to be mean, just honest.

I need to get one of those Theremins. Anyone ever seen Bill Bailey's performance making fun of Portishead with one of them? Awesome!

You're the only other person I know of who likes The Woods. I'll never forget my girlfriend's reaction when I first started playing it. She felt bad because she bought it for me, and still doesn't believe that I like it. No matter what I said, she thought I was just trying to make me feel better. She asked me "How can you possibly like that noise?" I asked her if she had ever heard of Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music. She replied "No", so I started playing that for her. She stayed in the room for about fifteen seconds.

Sleater-Kinney

:heart: Awww. :heart: I almost crapped my pants(while driving, mind you) the first time I ever drove down Sleater-Kinney. I had no idea the band was named after a road.

Ha!

Old Smashing Pumpkins for me, and just enough Hendricks.

A good friend of mine used to play The Hot Rock all the time. The drummer really got her shit together though on The Woods. I'm still mad at them for breaking up, and even more so mad at my good friend who saw them at Coachella a few weeks before they broke up, and especially mad at myself for not going to Coachella also.

The road is out in Washington somewhere right?

Montmartre and Sleater-Kinney again tonight, since y'all got me talking 'bout em all sentimental like.

Have you heard the drummer's other band, Quasi? It's just her and her ex-husband. It's pretty good, if you forget how great Sleater-Kinney was and avoid comparison.

Ah, Throbbing Gristle... Haven't put them on in a while. Made me go pull out my clear vinyl 45 with their "United" and "Zyklon B Zombie" tracks. For old times sake. Crispy Ambulance recorded a nice cover of "United" back in the day.

Right now, in a nostalgic mood, listening to Negativland's "Escape from Noise". Someday, I'll get around to transferring all the old Zoviet France stuff I have on vinyl and tape to the computer. When I have time...

As for Genesis P'Orridge, if you can dig up a copy of "Modern Primitives", it has some downright scary pictures of the fellow.

Double yikes! I just did a Google image search on good ol' Genesis and the contemporary pics make the old shots in the book look tame...