Jetzster

Sipping Absinthe ;) Listenin' to Music

Dang Shabba! You could have put a couple soda straws in that. :devil:

Agreed. Or at least one really long one that leads a couple hundred miles north. I'd be happy to intercept the other end to make sure nothing spills. :wave2:

No one likes Puya or Sepultura?!

Sippin' a martini and listening to Live After Death. Probably one of the best live albums, next to Frampton Comes Alive and Kiss Alive II.

Best Live ever: Etta James: Live from San Francisco.

Martinis are vile, in my uneducated opinion. Or it could be that my friend's gin was El Cheapo. Hmm...

Yes, the gin was probably cheap crap. It certainly makes a huge difference. I used to think I hated gin because I'd never had any good brands, but I absolutely love it now. I don't make that mistake anymore; I make sure to try a wide variety of premium brands before passing judgement on any kind of liquor I might not enjoy a whole lot at first.

Opeth, now there is some fine absinthe listening. I would probably start with Blackwater Park. "The Funeral Portrait" is a revelation. Have you heard the single off the new Megadeth, a reworking of A Tout Le Mond with Lacuna Coil's singer? High quality stuff. I think the new solo is better than the old one, even, and that's really saying something.

Blackwater Park is good. But Still Life is the album that touches my heart.

Apparently the record company has decided not to officially release "A Tout Le Monde" as the single (even though it has been released to radio stations and the video is posted online and has made it to a few video stations). Nobody's sure why. Perhaps Capitol Records, who still own the song, had a problem with using it as a single. Or perhaps Roadrunner Records finally listened to the fans like me who thought it was an incredibly stupid idea to make the first single from a new album a rerecording of a single from an old album. Especially when "A Tout Le Monde" doesn't sound like anything else on United Abominations. But it would be stupid to pull out this late in the game because the damage was pretty much done the moment it was announced to be the first single. Anyone who was skeptical but still curious enough to buy the album said, "Oh, Dave's out of ideas and is just rehashing his own crap," and *poof* just like that, potential album sales were gone. The positive side is that the song is good, the video is really good, and Dave finally has done his favourite song justice.

Whatever the case, now the first official single is "Washington is Next!" which doesn't have a video, and the band is touring so they can't film one by the time the album is released.

Did you hear about what Mustaine's injury actually was when he took that year off? He slept with his arm over a chair and starved his hand of blood. I'll say it again: he slept on his hand wrong. When I heard that, I understood why he waited a year to talk about it. In my opinion, that's the most embarrassing injury in all of music.

It's worse than that, believe it or not. He told that much of the story when the last album came out but in recent interviews he's added more. He was in the hospital with four kidney stones. He got addicted to the painkiller they gave him, so they sent him to rehab. At the rehab facility he fell asleep in a stall in the men's bathroom with his arm hanging over the back of a toilet. Just like that, radial neuropathy.

@DL - Naw, Live albums aren't my forte', I was just in a live mood.

@peridot - 12 days? I heard there's a new track out and it's supposedly really good. Isn't Dave on his 4th guitar endorsement? Did the ESP even last a year? I saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon in London for their Peace Sells (Flotsam & Jetsam opened and Jason had just taken the "that other band" gig) and So Far, So Good (Malice opened) tours, freakin' awesome. They're one of my favorite bands, along with Black Sabbath (mainly Ozzy), Rolling Stones, The Cult, The Offspring, and BLS (Zakk Rules) :) . What can I say, I'm an eclectic listener.

I've heard the new Megadeth in its entirety. It's the most heavy, technical album since Rust in Peace. My only real issue with it is that the songs in the second half of the album are too short and feel a bit under-developed. And the speed is lacking, compared to the last album, if that matters. To me it really doesn't.

one super-absomphesized sample.

Cheers!

post-669-1178278550_thumb.jpg

Drinkin' it straight now, big manly man?

Damn, it must be great to be wealthy, and have a healthy liver! :worshippy:

one super-absomphesized sample.

Cheers!

Damn, it must be great to be wealthy, and have a healthy liver! :worshippy:

You son's 'a bitches...

Alright, metalheads. I have a recommendation for you all. Every single metal fan, be it speed, black or hardcore has always dug Autechre when it was introduced to them. I'm not sure of the connection, but they dig it. Don't start with their earlier work. Again, I recommend http://www.discogs.com. But there's apparently something about this music that metal people latch onto. It ranges from somewhat organic to very clinical. Their most recent work is very noise oriented...lots of time stretching with complex beat structure (within 4/4 and outside, like math rock) but engagning. Their earlier stuff is more melodic.

Set your downloads and then go buy it!!! It's great that artists like this can put their stuff out, but it sucks like a Hoover that they'll see little money for it. I should know. I'm one of them...or I used to be...

I'm now going to listen to NIN's latest, which I probably find the best thing he's done since The Downward Spiral. Disagree with me. Let's talk about it.

Goddamn drunken post thread...

I've heard the new Megadeth in its entirety. It's the most heavy, technical album since Rust in Peace. My only real issue with it is that the songs in the second half of the album are too short and feel a bit under-developed. And the speed is lacking, compared to the last album, if that matters. To me it really doesn't.

Doesn't matter to me either, I just like how he plays. I can't decide which is my favorite, Rust or Peace?

Dude. Rust is my fave. But I listen to Peace Sells pretty often. I'm in it for the technicality, for sure.

@precenphix - will check them out. Just got the Kings of Leon and Explosions in the Sky. So we'll see. :)

I like Autechre a lot. Squarepusher might be good to recommend to people who are into prog, since there is definitely a prog influence in the bass lines. Since you like electronic music and shoegazing, precenphix, if you haven't already listened to Midrange by Dykehouse I highly recommend it.

I'm excited because in two weeks I'll be at Psychic TV's record release concert at The Bowery Ballroom. My fiance and I are spending the weekend in Manhattan.

I can't decide which is my favorite, Rust or Peace?

Rust in Peace is my favourite for the riffs. Countdown to Extinction comes in second for the solos. Peace Sells, Killing is My Business, So Far, So Good... So What?, and The System Has Failed are all next for their varying levels of asskickery.

But that is one thing I can say for United Abominations. Its solos are on the level that Countdown's are. Some of the best Megadeth has ever had.

precenphix, I'll check out Autechre later today. Have you ever heard Ulver? If not, they're a former black metal band who are now an electronic/ trip hop group. Worth checking out.

Some Edouard goes smashingly well with a delightful instrumental rock band called The Mercury Program, I do say indeed sirs and madams.

Heh heh, not quite. But while I was thinking up a way as to how I'd get it from the bottle into sample sizers, while at the same time, minimizing potential of wax flavor contamination, I thought the large mug would be the way to go. Then I pulled out samples with a syringe.

I couldn't help but think of you as I snapped that pic though!

Yeah it's called "New Moon"; two discs of recordings from the time period of his first three albums. The songs aren't just bad leftovers either, everyone of the songs could have easily made any of those records.

Listening to the latest by Built to Spill entitled "You in Reverse" (yeah, I know it came out last year, but it is new to me...). One of those albums/CDs that grows on you the more you listen to it. The first track, "Goin' Against Your Mind" has the improbable lines:

When I was a kid I saw a light

Floating high above the trees one night

Thought it was an alien

Turned out to be just God

Not a paean to religion, mind you. The song is much more questioning and reflective than that.

With a glass of Ike in hand, I'm off in a reverie of wonder.

GREAT SCOTT!!!

In the mail was a DVD filled with 50 CDs of some of my absolute favorite musicians. Hardly any of it did I have before today.

There are some very, very special people hanging out around here. :wave2: :cheers:

Listening to Atylantos and pretending to be able to sing along with it... alcohol helps :cheers: