Jetzster

Sipping Absinthe ;) Listenin' to Music

I'm guessing that's not anything like Death and the Maiden by Schubert? Which, BTW, would also pair nicely with a glass or four of absinthe.

'Fraid not. No offense meant (I know you love him), but I've utterly despised Schubert since the very beginning of my music education. You'll never see me mention enjoying a single composition of his.

Chopin, on the other hand... :)

Modest Mouse 'Steam Ingenius'.

"Both halves are the better half, like a joke trying to make another joke laugh - ha! ha!,

Stasis is whatcha got, like a rickshaw gettin' pulled 'round by another rickshaw,

In the past talkin' present tense, gonna break it, gonna wreck it, gonna try to make it all make sense,

Stasis is watcha got, like a rickshaw gettin' pulled around by another rickshaw"

Tonight, a little Keb'Mo'. Please don't tell me I'm the only fan of Kevin!

I am a huge Kevin Moore fan. I have listened to and played his stuff for a long time. I actually saw him here in Missoula a few years ago.

While I usually enjoy the the ambient works of acts like Phoenecia, Autechre, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada or shoegazer like Seefeel, the wife and I have made arrangements to try to pull off the Dark Side of the Moon trick with The Wizard of Oz (commonly referred to as The Dark Side of the Rainbow) when my next shipment comes in. It's all a head game, but she's never tried the experiment before. It's pretty neat, but all a series of random coincidences your head puts together.

Also recommended for meditation with a glass: Paul McCartney did a side project a few years back under the moniker Fireman. The first release under this name was a horrible disappointment. However if you have the opportunity to procure the Fireman's "Rushes" album, it's incredible. Brilliant washes of sound that are as soothing as they are engaging. Nothing too out there, not too droney, not too cliche. It's a great side project and an outstanding departure from McCartney's typical fare.

http://www.discogs.com/release/242517

Okay, that one went zipping right over my head, but made me look up, to see what I was missing. Now I feel so unhip. And sad I don't have a copy of The Dark Side of the Moon, cuz I do have Oz.

Yeah, it's reasonably spooky. Most of the really crazy coincidences occur near the beginning of the film. Make sure you do your research on this though, because apparently the varying versions of the film and the album make a significant difference as to the overall effect.

What I'd like to do is get ahold of the 5.1 surround mix version of Dark Side of the Moon and play that through my surround system on one DVD player while the film plays on my upconvert DVD player to my HDTV. But again, versions supposedly make some kind of difference. I've got some reading to do before I hunker down to do this.

shoegazer

:cheers:

I finally found Loop's A Gilded Eternity last week in my local record shop. I'm not familiar with Seefeel; I'm definitely going to check it out.

No one likes Puya or Sepultura?!

Sippin' a martini and listening to Live After Death. Probably one of the best live albums, next to Frampton Comes Alive and Kiss Alive II.

I'll take Emperor, Opeth, and Megadeth instead.

New Megadeth in 12 days.

No offense meant (I know you love him), but I've utterly despised Schubert since the very beginning of my music education. You'll never see me mention enjoying a single composition of his.

Really? Wow. I'm the total opposite. I've never encountered a composition of his that I don't like. I wonder if it is the schmaltz that draws me in and repels you. BTW, I could never be offended by a personal opinion. It is what it is, and there's no personal affront there. :wave2:

I wonder if it is the schmaltz that draws me in and repels you.

That's exactly it. It angers me. :)

You can say that he's a true artist I suppose because he provokes a strong emotional reaction from me. It's just probably not the emotion he intended his audience to feel.

I like many composers that are more my "style" but the only one who has no compositions I dislike is Chopin.

What else would I tripbalz™ to on 1914? :twitchsmile:

So jealous of you right now. :dribble: The 1914, not Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies. Sample, or bottle?

If that were in my possesion, I'd be listening to Selected Ambient Works Vol. II in its entirety. All 3 LPs.

I'm not familiar with Seefeel; I'm definitely going to check it out.

Look into Loscil as well. Minimal with very gradual shifts in timbre & atmosphere. I'd recommend "Submers" and "Plume" to start with. Great abstract records. For a real mind-job, try Aurobino: Involution. Hard to come by, but downloadable.

Genesis - "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", or, if in a ruckus mood, Husker Du - "Zen Arcade." But, if you are in the mood for the "classics" I would go for Elvis Costello - "This Year's Model" (or "Imperial Bedroom"), Ramones - "Rocket to Ruin", or, Ian Hunter's "Rant". And of course any Talking Heads or Crystal Method! Be Here Now.

So jealous of you right now...sample or bottle?

Bottle, but sometimes when I allow myself to fantasize about Mindshifter's four-bottler, I think of it as merely one super-absomphesized sample. It's all relative, I suppose.

Sipping absinthe, listening to music. That's exactly what I'm doing tonight. Sipping on some Eddy while listening to Tori Amos' Little Earthquakes front to back, but skipping "Me and a gun" as that song gives me chills in a very uncomfortable way. Then it's onto some Portishead.

I'm really enjoying my first absinthe in about 2 months

Damn! The Emile Group™ still in tact?

I must clarify,

it was my first absinthe in 2 months, and I likey.

Just too busy with other stuff to bother.

Anyone with an appreciation for classical music (particularly Modest Mussorgsky and other Russian composers) and thrash metal should really check out Mekong Delta. Seriously. You'll love it. There are some free Mp3s on the band site/forum there.

No one likes Puya or Sepultura?!

Sippin' a martini and listening to Live After Death. Probably one of the best live albums, next to Frampton Comes Alive and Kiss Alive II.

Martinis are vile, in my uneducated opinion. Or it could be that my friend's gin was El Cheapo. Hmm...

I don't yet have a copy of Frampton Comes Alive, but I have reason to believe I would really like it. I have heard more Puya than Sepultura, but I'm pretty sure I'd like Sepultura better. UFO's Strangers in the Night and Slade Alive are some of my favorite live albums though, since live seems to be more your forté...

I'll take Emperor, Opeth, and Megadeth instead.

New Megadeth in 12 days.

Opeth, now there is some fine absinthe listening. I would probably start with Blackwater Park. "The Funeral Portrait" is a revelation. Have you heard the single off the new Megadeth, a reworking of A Tout Le Mond with Lacuna Coil's singer? High quality stuff. I think the new solo is better than the old one, even, and that's really saying something.

Did you hear about what Mustaine's injury actually was when he took that year off? He slept with his arm over a chair and starved his hand of blood. I'll say it again: he slept on his hand wrong. When I heard that, I understood why he waited a year to talk about it. In my opinion, that's the most embarrassing injury in all of music.

Edited by Daniel Lyons

Sipping absinthe, listening to music. That's exactly what I'm doing tonight. Sipping on some Eddy while Then it's onto some Portishead.

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Amazing band! They've been one of my faves for over a decade. I highly suggest picking up the Roseland NYC DVD if you don't have it already.