Jetzster

Sipping Absinthe ;) Listenin' to Music

Obi Wan Kenobi. Now

That's a name I've not heard in a very long time!

a long time. Still, We'd best get indoors. Sandpeople are easily started but they'll soon be back and in greater numbers.

Tomorrow: Tom Waits! :yahoo:

And to digress slightly...

Horslips, I said, and you thought that was impressive?

No, bro, now that's impressive! :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe

Wow. Durutti Column! That's a name I've not heard in a very long time! I have a couple of CASSETTES by them from many moons ago! How is the newer materia?

The Return of the Durutti Column is actually their first album. The reissue has a couple of tracks by Martin Hannett tacked on at the end, and for some strange reason they weren't put on the Hannett compilation cd that came out recently. I have LC, the second album, but nothing recent. The Tower close to me had a 2 disc anthology that had old and newer material, and I meant to get it before they closed but never did. I'm kind of curious myself now what the newer material sounds like.

Thanks for the information. I think I will check out their later material. Just one of those bands that silently slips away in my mind until someone like yourself mentions the name making me go "oh, yeah! I remember them!"

Horslips, I said, and you thought that was impressive?

No, bro, now that's impressive!

I was impressed that anyone had even heard of Horslips, let alone anyone who actually heard them. Or, for that matter, anyone who might have thought Horslips was a Shakespearean insult! :cheers:

BTW, the new Tom Waits is magnificent in both scope & splendour! :heart:

Edited by Guillaume Lanfray

For my birthday, a friend presented me with an iPod Nano. So at this moment I'm listening to the Adams Violin Concerto, the music from Matthew Barney's film Drawing Restraint (by Björk) and some Bartok and Mendelssohn. It all sounds wonderful with my drink. :punk:

Drawing Restraint! I love that soundtrack, and I'm not even much of a Bjork fan. I hadn't thought about listening to it while drinking, so after all the Thanksgiving festivities are over that's what I'll do. I saw the film in D.C. in May and enjoyed it. I never got to see The Cremaster Cycle, other than the The Order DVD and the book that the Guggenheim put out on it. The Byrd Theater in Richmond VA showed the cycle in the order in which it was made (4, 1,5,2 then 3), and I couldn't get off from work to see it.

When I saw Drawing Restraint 9, the lady who introduced the film asked if anyone was familiar with Barney's work. Only one person raised their hand (I was shy). That person was the only one who walked out halfway through the film.

Edited by ubu

When I saw Drawing Restraint 9, the lady who introduced the film asked if anyone was familiar with Barney's work. Only one person raised their hand (I was shy). That person was the only one who walked out halfway through the film.

I missed it the last time I was in NY. But I'm headed there soon so I hope to catch it somewhere - and I like the Cremaster cycle very much. The Adams concerto is fantastic. A student pianist here just played Adams' Phrygian Gates, which I haven't heard in ages. A beautiful & hypnotic way to spend 22 minutes.

Those songs are very cool. Thanks so much.

Back around 1993 I was interested in a group called Test Department. Basically drumming was the core of their sound. Even way back then they weren't interested in globalization. They did a performance with Brith Gof, a Welsh Celtic group, of one of the earliest Welsh sagas. It honors the defeat of the Welsh at the hands of the Anglo-Saxons. Apparently the Welsh were quite outnumbered. One night the Welsh stayed up all night - drinking mead. In the morning they attacked. You can imagine the result. Legend has it that their bard was the only one to escape.

Those songs are very cool. Thanks so much.

Back around 1993 I was interested in a group called Test Department. Basically drumming was the core of their sound. Even way back then they weren't interested in globalization. They did a performance with Brith Gof, a Welsh Celtic group, of one of the earliest Welsh sagas. It honors the defeat of the Welsh at the hands of the Anglo-Saxons. Apparently the Welsh were quite outnumbered. One night the Welsh stayed up all night - drinking mead. In the morning they attacked. You can imagine the result. Legend has it that their bard was the only one to escape.

Yep, DP. Used to listen to them back in the 80's. Strange but true.

There is obviously such a wide variety of musical tastes here. It's been very educational checking out many of the links posted here. I thought I would share a couple. This one, Avalon Rising, is a sample from a local band I have seen several times.

The one, Opeth, is sort of like the dark side of Avalon Rising. I saw them in San Francisco with another great band, Porcupine Tree. Harry Potter fans might like this one.

Hope you enjoy.

Edited by Lister

Opeth is a stunningly amazing band. My all in all favourite for years now. I've seen them live four times. The video/ song The Grand Conjuration, although good, is not representative at all of their sound. As Opeth songs go, it's the most pop-metal of anything they've done. And the video cuts it down to less than half of the actual song length. Unfortunately they've only done one other video. One for Harvest, an acoustic song, that was only released as a bonus on the extended edition of Blackwater Park.

I like that Avalon Rising song a lot, but I have to disagree about any Opeth comparisons.

When Silence Is Sexy first came out, I bought it and didn't like it. I sold it to a local record store. Now my tastes have broadened and I wish I hadn't. I do have their Live in Brussels 2000 and love it.

Today I got fired from Peridot's hat so I'm going to celebrate with Edouard. Seven years of misery ended. Now I have more time to drink and less money to buy it. Anyone have good suggestions for my celebration music?

You could listen to Skinny Puppy's song "Tin Omen" and think about HD when Ogre says, "Ha, ha, the joke's on you!"

Hope you get a job soon. I'm not having a lot of luck in that department. Not that I'm overly motivated.

Sorry and happy for you, Ubu. Today, enjoy your freedom from the prison!

Yeah, the joke is on them. I was their receiving manager and this past inventory was not only the store's best ever, but the best in the district.

You could listen to Skinny Puppy's song "Tin Omen" and think about HD when Ogre says, "Ha, ha, the joke's on you!"

Hope you get a job soon. I'm not having a lot of luck in that department. Not that I'm overly motivated.

Good one! How'd you pull that out of your hat so quickly? :)

Although I'm a bit late to the party, I've just discovered Rufus Wainwright. I just bought two of his CD's--Want One & Poses. Listening to him sing is like relaxing in a tub of butter while melted chocolate is poured over me. I can't wait to pair his music with absinthe. I predict that it will hypnotize me and make me all zen and whatnot. ;)

Good one! How'd you pull that out of your hat so quickly? :)

Music, absinthe, homebrewing. All I really care about, and in that order. :D

Yep, Doc. Got both of them and a really cool song that sticks out is the title song on "Poses". Sad and melancholy in a mellow way. Love the simple, fluid lyrics.