Jetzster

Sipping Absinthe ;) Listenin' to Music

I'll take Chopin's Impromptu No. 4 in C shaaaarrrrrp minor

Ah Chopin. I still just love the piano works.

Busy listening to some Dead Kennedys right now. There's always room for Jello.

I remember a time in the early 80's some friends asked about the Dead Kennedy's. Actually they knew I listened to punk music (they didn't, their loss). They asked 'Is there really a band named The Dead Kennedy's?' As though how could someone, a punk band, have so little respect for the memory of JFK and RFK. I said yes there really was such a band. They just thought that was horrible. But they weren't ever going to listen to the music, so it was pointless to discuss the topic with them.

I feel the same way.

'cept for the mom part.

Yeah. Who knows what the kids thought of me. Some old hippy chick? A bum? There were a good number of concerts in San Francisco where I'm sure I was the oldest person there. :wheelchair: he he he

The sea shanties CD sounds like ot could be a winner. Let us know GL. Yaarrr.

Hey Spunkys!

Anyone that's in the Boston area on Sunday Oct 1st

needs to meet up.

Why? 'cuz the best band out there is playing the Middle East,

yes, I mean Bettie Serveert, and yes I'm serious.

I'll be there, if anyone wants to miss this, shame...

Otherwise let me know, drinks before the show will be fun.

If you love the Chopin Fantaisie-Impromptu in C sharp minor, check out Oliver Aldort, an impressive kid who plays cello and piano eqaully well. He comes over here to Victoria to study. The videos are low quality, but they give you an idea of his prowess. Not bad for a twelve year-old.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search

Got a little review, GL?
Yes. Buy it now!
The sea shanties CD sounds like [it] could be a winner. Let us know GL. Yaarrr.
It is! I love Hal Willner (who produced it) & it has several of my favorite artists on it: Nick Cave, Lou Reed, Stan Ridgway, VanDyke Parks, Bryan Ferry, Antony, Richard Thompson, & Loudon Wainwright III, but alas, no Tom Waits (who I thought would be a natural) or Kate Bush (who's already sung The Handsome Cabin Boy). Some very pleasant surprises: John C. Reilly, Baby Gramps (a Tuva singing bluesman) & Ralph Steadman! Yaarrr, indeed! :pirate: Edited by Guillaume Lanfray

I'll admit I like Manson (although my metalhead friends laugh at me). I got into them with Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood is my favourite, but after that I lost interest because I hated Golden Age of Grotesque. I think after they completed the three-album Antichrist-Mechanical-Holy cycle they had nothing left.

In regards to Nine Inch Nails, I usually don't like it when they sound *industrial*... I can listen to Skinny Puppy for that and I think they do it better. But when NIN does really organic, flourishing stuff like a lot of what was on The Fragile, it sounds like nobody else.

I suppose I'm putting my-self on a bit of an island when I say Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson are up there in my top 10. :D

Silly boy. ;)

through every forest

above the trees

within my stomach

scraped off my knees

i drink the honey

from inide your hive

you are the reason i stay alive

I'll admit I like Manson (although my metalhead friends laugh at me). I got into them with Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood is my favourite, but after that I lost interest because I hated Golden Age of Grotesque. I think after they completed the three-album Antichrist-Mechanical-Holy cycle they had nothing left.

In regards to Nine Inch Nails, I usually don't like it when they sound *industrial*... I can listen to Skinny Puppy for that and I think they do it better. But when NIN does really organic, flourishing stuff like a lot of what was on The Fragile, it sounds like nobody else.

I loved "A warm place" on The Downward spiral.

I suppose I'm putting my-self on a bit of an island when I say Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson are up there in my top 10. :D

Silly boy. ;)

through every forest

above the trees

within my stomach

scraped off my knees

i drink the honey

from inide your hive

you are the reason i stay alive

"I want to f**k you like an animal

I want to feel you from the inside"

:D

I really like NIN. I worked as a DJ for many years, and really can get into every kind of music. Well, okay - country, not so much. My Dad is actually a huge Marilyn Manson fan, which kind of weirds me out.

I went and saw NIN in concert and, a then unknown, Marilyn Manson opened for them.

Was a great show... what I remember of it.....

Allright, when drinking absinthe...the only choice is Classic Jazz. No smooth crap, classic.

Corea, Parker, Monk, Brubeck, Coltrane, Davis....etc, etc.

But I guess other than that, anything else that's at a minimum eclectic. I like The Cure as well, when I'm drinking absinthe, and dare I say Type O Negative? Yes, yes. Oh, I sometimes listen to Peridot's stuff too. I like his music quite a bit. Although I like everything from Chopin to Slayer. All in all, I just love music....and absinthe. Heh.

:) Thanks for the props.

I suppose it's evident from my own absinthe-drinking music, but I usually like cold, windy sounding music while drinking absinthe. Preferrably melancholy, folky metal like Agalloch and old Ulver. Sometimes also Death in June or Der Blutharsch. Even though I like some industrial I always prefer something more organic sounding during the Green Hour.

I agree with Type O Negative, but no one album has the right atmosphere from beginning to end to me. I should make a compilation CD with all the slower songs from World Coming Down, as well as the songs Christian Woman, Haunted, Anasthesia, and whatever else from other albums I can fit.

I really like NIN. I worked as a DJ for many years, and really can get into every kind of music. Well, okay - country, not so much. My Dad is actually a huge Marilyn Manson fan, which kind of weirds me out.

Yeah... that kinda weirds me out too.

How old is your Dad? Is he a cool old rocker, or does he just mysteriously appreciate the musical/lyrical complexities that Mr. Manson delivers?

I went and saw NIN in concert and, a then unknown, Marilyn Manson opened for them.

Was a great show... what I remember of it.....

Wish I was there!

Mind you, I would have only been about 4 or 5 at the time... :o

My dad isn't that old. I was born when the folks were in high school. But he is a guitar player, and spent my childhood out on the road with various bands. So I guess that puts him in the Cool Old Rocker Dude category. Still weirds me out.

:) Thanks for the props.

I agree with Type O Negative, but no one album has the right atmosphere from beginning to end to me. I should make a compilation CD with all the slower songs from World Coming Down, as well as the songs Christian Woman, Haunted, Anasthesia, and whatever else from other albums I can fit.

No problem...

I'm just the opposite with TON, I'm a huge fan though. I've got all their albums and have seen them like 7 times in concert. Very cool. I can certainly see how someone wouldn't like all their stuff though. No worries.

Don't get me wrong, I love all of their stuff (except the cover medleys... I actually hate those with a passion), and I own all of their albums (plus the recent concert DVD) except Bloody Kisses, but my girlfriend has that, so it's all good. I just meant for the sake of drinking absinthe I don't want to hear "Pyretta Blaze" and the like.

I have seen them once. They were absolutely awful and I would love to see them again. There was a long stretch where they didn't play any songs, and Peter played a string of first riffs from popular songs on his bass. This went on for about half an hour. Then they played "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend", but Josh decided not to play during the whole song, so Kenny played the keyboard parts on guitar and did it in a very dissonant, nasty way. It was the Life is Killing me tour (complete with hospital scrubs), but they only played "Anasthesia" and "I Don't Wanna be Me" from that album, and the latter was an encore even though it was the lead single. Lacuna Coil came out and sang on it, with two of the guys holding up Christina Scabbia to Peter's mic. All in all the show was hilarious and fun and stupid. They opened with "Unsuccessfully Coping...", leaving many younger fans scratching their heads and then played my favourite TON song "Wolf Moon".

Don't get me wrong, I love all of their stuff (except the cover medleys... I actually hate those with a passion), and I own all of their albums (plus the recent concert DVD) except Bloody Kisses, but my girlfriend has that, so it's all good. I just meant for the sake of drinking absinthe I don't want to hear "Pyretta Blaze" and the like.

I have seen them once. They were absolutely awful and I would love to see them again. There was a long stretch where they didn't play any songs, and Peter played a string of first riffs from popular songs on his bass. This went on for about half an hour. Then they played "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend", but Josh decided not to play during the whole song, so Kenny played the keyboard parts on guitar and did it in a very dissonant, nasty way. It was the Life is Killing me tour (complete with hospital scrubs), but they only played "Anasthesia" and "I Don't Wanna be Me" from that album, and the latter was an encore even though it was the lead single. Lacuna Coil came out and sang on it, with two of the guys holding up Christina Scabbia to Peter's mic. All in all the show was hilarious and fun and stupid. They opened with "Unsuccessfully Coping...", leaving many younger fans scratching their heads and then played my favourite TON song "Wolf Moon".

I remember that tour very well, mostly because Lacuna Coil sucked my ass, but that's beside the point. I saw them twice on that tour, shit, maybe even three times??? Oh...wait, no, it was twice. I saw them once in Dallas and once in Seattle. I saw them a little later in Ft. Worth when the came back with Cradle of Filth, who just might be the worst black/death metal group on earth -- no, scratch that, the universe.

That was a good tour for them though. I saw them perform I Don't Wanna Be Me on each show, and I love that song. I didn't see them open with Unsuccessfully Coping though, that would have been great. Watching the half-fans stairing blankly wondering what the hell is going on.

I agree about Wolf Moon. I think that's either my favorite, or tied for favorite song of theirs. That whole album was great though. IMO, October Rust was their magnum opus. I like their other albums, but that one simply took the cake, followed closely by Bloody Kisses. I actually had two very nice things I'd ripped from unsuspecting hands from their concerts. One was a towel used by Peter and then thrown into the crowd. I had to punch someone for that, yes I feel bad. The other was a hand written setlist I had to barter for. The towel is now gone, an old roomate used it to clean one day. I almost killed him. And the setlist is around somewhere. I'm going to frame it eventually, if I find it. I have to move a lot....

Aaron

That's awesome. Though I'd probably have just given away the towel if I had caught it. :P However, I'd try to catch a drumstick or wine bottle. October Rust used to be my favourite album for the same reason you said, but World Coming Down has taken that spot for me.

I gotta disagree with you about Lacuna Coil, though. I've seen them twice live (once opening for TON, once opening for Opeth). I had found them kinda boring on album but absolutely adored them live.

And as far as Cradle of Filth, they're one of my favourite bands. Don't look at them as a black/ death band. A friend of mine in college hated them and always talked about them as not being real black metal, and just melodramatic wannabes. Then I told him, "dude, don't look at them as bad black metal; look at them as pretty damn good 80s-style power metal with a horror bent." Since he likes power metal that actually made a huge difference and he ended up becoming a fan. Don't know if that will make a difference to you.

Speaking of power metal, I'm on a huge Rhapsody kick right now.

I'll give COF another listen under in that light. I just really wasn't impressed.

And I know about liking a band better live. Last year I saw Audioslave and 30 Seconds to Mars opened up for them. I hadn't ever heard of them and was absolutely amazed by their live show. I later realized when I tried to grab an autograph that Jared Leto was the lead singer...thought that was odd, but the guy's got pipes, what can I say? Anyway, I picked up their album and could recognize the songs but it was actually *worse* than they were live!! I was truly taken aback by this.

I will say I do like Lacuna Coil's remake of Enjoy the Silence. After I got over how they'd even have the moxie to cover a Depeche Mode song, I started to like it. I still think Depeche Mode is sacred territory, but that's me.