Jetzster

Sipping Absinthe ;) Listenin' to Music

Kiku Masamune Dry Sake One Cup.

Upon first pouring, it smells like cream-cheese in a cup (in a good way). Once it settles, the smell dissipates completely and you’re left with a faint grainy smell. Crisp and clean sake. Sweet but dry. Lasting finish of toasted grains. Throw some earthy mushroom into the mix and you’re good to go. While this is not a premium sake, but a futsushu (a table sake), this is certainly not unsavory or unsatisfactory by any means. It’s clean, crisp, and would probably most certainly pair well with some fresh sashimi or nigiri sushi. $3 per 180ml jar is a solid price. I would compare this to the standard gekkeikan sake (not the black and gold junmai variation) that you can find in most wine stores.

Nishinoseki Daruma Cup Tokubetsu Junmai. :headbang:

Heavy melon on the nose. Thick and syrupy viscosity to this brew! Dense layers of honeydew and cantaloupe melon coinciding with coconut milk (dry, but certainly on the sweeter side). Has a nice nuttiness to it as well (think an almond-milk type of flavor and texture). More mushroom hits the middle of the tongue and lingers on the cheeks. Earthy tones enter in as the sake warms. Thick, dense, and heavy. A nice cup for sure. We sing our praises to this dharma doll!

Genbei Onikoroshi Honjozo "4 Eyed Devil".

Honjozo is a fortified sake. But, the added alcohol isn’t meant to beef up the sake, but, rather, to help balance out the flavors found within the sake itself; it actually mellows the brew considerably. Heavy wheat grain scent to this sake. Very clean and crisp. Mouthfeel is light. Taste is the same. There is a nutty component to this sake, though, we must admit, the flavors are a bit faint. There’s nothing in this sake that really shines. Finishes with a bitter (but pleasant) almond and citrus note. Allegedly, this is a popular restaurant sake in Japan. It drinks more like a table sake than a premium one. Again, not bad, but not anything special. Decent, but we wouldn’t seek it out again.

Kikusui Funaguchi "Red". :wub:

Heavy bread notes; wheat and rice cakes. Very sweet sake, bursting with melon and cherry and plum flavors. Almost too sweet, but not quite. Drinks like a plum wine more than a sake, but it does have a definitive dry characteristic that you would associate with sake. Honey nectar is a word. Reminds me of mead, but not as sweet. Alcohol is present on the finish, but nothing distracting or astringent. Soft, powered-sugar like notes to this, too. This sake is aged for one year before canning. It really shows in how well rounded everything is. Would we purchase this sake again? Yes. Would we recommend it to friends? Absolutely.

From your consistent beer selections, Monsieur Jarry, I'd imagine you're a Western NY kinda resurrected Froggy guy, so, as an ex- longtime resident of same, let me offer my long overdue sincere condolences. :harhar:

Tea Party, and Founders Breakfast Stout...almost (sort of), but not quite, Western, NY, on both counts. :biggrin: :dev-cheers:

When you die, you don't go to Hell; you just go back to Buffalo. Ah, well, at least we still got Wegmans.

More John Cale at moment with a side of some Genesee Scotch Ale.

Edited by Alfred Jarry

Ah, well, at least we still got Wegmans.

Man, I haven't been in a Wegman's since around '82.

Good to hear it's still in business. :thumbup: