Jetzster

Sipping Absinthe ;) Listenin' to Music

I find Aimee Mann to be only background music and not something I pay too much attention to. She's not bad but she doesn't strike me as anything unique or overly special. Beth Orton falls in the same bracket for me although 'stolen car' and 'central reservation' are standouts.

Have you guys heard of Kate Miller Heidke?...........

She's brilliant live, I saw her twice and both times I was blown away by her voice and stage performance.

Edited by ignis

Unfortunately, mgs, the censorship nazi's in Germany have blocked that clip for me. Germany is a fucked up place sometimes, they try so hard to be something they are not that they end up being that thing.

strange.... Youtube is blocked ? or this particular music ? I would be very interested to learn why such would be censored..... I hate censorship. I grew up in a military dictatorship, and my generation fought for freedom of expression.

- Marcelo

yeah, the censorship in Germany is very strong. It's very frustrating and in my opinion counter productive. To get into the details of deutsch psyche would place us firmly and squarely in the political camp. This is not the forum for such discussions. We (here) must merely say C'est la Vie and move on.

I don't want to discuss politics.... I just want to understand reasons for censorship, I am in favor of freedom of all information, and even in Brazil I still get involved in discussions about this subject. I researched a little bit the life of Zazie, to try to understand..... there is a Wikipedia article about her :

Zazie

the only thing that I can understand now, is that she got in some music performance involving gay relationships, and her playful use of language has led to the coining of the French word zazisme. Very interesting, I always liked her style, and now, after finding these things out, I think I have more reasons to like her.

- Marcelo

Edited by mgs

What do I like to listen to while drinking absinthe, Frank Zappa (then again I love him, best musician ever), Autechre (experimental electronic), Cradle of Filth (black metal), The Pixies (punk), Mussorgsky and/or Wagner (nothing beats great classical music), last but not least anything jazz. :cheers:

Autechre are great, and one of the best live performances I've seen. I wish I could have seen Zappa.

edit: I should say Autechre was one of the best performances I didn't see -- they performed in complete darkness.

Edited by Ryan Winn (ubu)

Poor youngster... :cheers: :laugh:

I take it you have.

I do own two live dvds Baby Snakes and Does Humor Belong in Music. But its just not the same as being there. But at least my pops was kind enough to expose me to Zappa

I take it you have.

Technically, but it's not like I have vivid memories of the concert. (It was after the release of the Weasels Rip My Flesh album).

Most of our generation is a little hazy when it comes to happenings that occurred in the early seventies...right, Joe? :twitchsmile:

Today I was in the mood of drinking absinthe and listening “Tribalistas.”

This music is

and here, some people singing

, but it is so nice to see those happy faces...

- Marcelo

Edited by mgs

What do I like to listen to while drinking absinthe, Frank Zappa (then again I love him, best musician ever), Autechre (experimental electronic), Cradle of Filth (black metal), The Pixies (punk), Mussorgsky and/or Wagner (nothing beats great classical music), last but not least anything jazz. :cheers:
Autechre are great, and one of the best live performances I've seen. I wish I could have seen Zappa.

edit: I should say Autechre was one of the best performances I didn't see -- they performed in complete darkness.

Ae made me dance and wriggle like an idiot (or is that a fucking eel?). I like that the lights are low/off--not much to watch, just sink into the music. I haven't got their most recent album yet, though I'm looking forward to it.

Reggie Watts throws down. Music starts at 1:04 or so.

Nice! Nick Zinner played with Psychic TV (only for a song) when I saw them in '07. He's pretty versatile. The media hype machine of the early 2000's almost put a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to some of those bands (YYYs, Liars, Interpol, etc.) but when I listen to them they are pretty great. It took seeing Interpol live for me to really like them, though.

The Liars' newest album is incredible. The limited vinyl comes with another disc of other musician's interpretations of the songs, and most of them are pretty subtle rather than the typical "remix" kind of thing.

Just watched "Where the Wild Things Are", and like a dolt for not recognizing Karen O's voice until the end credits.

I haven't seen Interpol live, but if they came here I would. I read an interview sometime where their lead singer was explaining how they try to play their songs just as they are on the albums, which irks me a bit, but maybe they're good live regardless.

I've seen them three times; the first and third time (in small clubs) they were very good. The second time was at an outdoor venue (Curiosa), and they weren't that good. The two times they were good the bassist and the drummer were completely locked in. They did play the songs exactly like they were on the record, but they sounded more intense.

Mickey 3D, a French group, with interesting lyrics :

The end of this video is impressive.......

- Marcelo

That is really cool you have had a chance to see PTV live :thumbup:

It was at the record release party for "Hell Is Invisible, Heaven is Her/e". His Name Is Alive and Theo and the Skyscrapers also played. It was a really fun night.

It was on 5/18 and PTV went on at 11 pm. 23 hours, 5+18. Probably not coincidental.

Edited by Ryan Winn (ubu)

Posting something about your avatar is going to look stupid in the future should you change it, but screw it. Loveless is probably my all time favorite album (well, tied with Disintegration, any Brian Jonestown Massacre album, most Psychic TV albums, Tago Mago, XTRMNTR, Low, The Inmost Light trilogy...well, never mind ranking greatness; it's subjective and pointless.).