Sipping Absinthe ;) Listenin' to Music

Excuse me..,

l

But Its so cool, a vessel of

Kübler,Eduard,Brut,Ike,Clandestine listenin to good jams

oh She makes the music so kool

so much more ALIVE!

She makes MUSIC into Magick,no?

The Fairy was neglected for soo many years...

She would"ve made the 60,s and 70's, 80's rock so much more

if the Fairy was there...,

maybe list some good tunes while sipping on good Absinthe

I sure miss the great stuff of the 60's,70,s and 80's......

I tend to listen to Delerium alot and some vocal trance. Every now and again I like to go back to the stuff from my youth, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, Hawkwind, Clapton.......

Oh yea and Vangelis.

Haven't seen anything mentioned here I wouldn't throw on in a heartbeat. I have a little of all of it in my collection, 'cept the Zippers, but they're fun too.

Combustible Edison is cool. Delta Blues is awesome as well. Ellington, Fitzgerald, Brian Setzer. Anybody ever hear of Lee Press-on and the Nails? Fun stuff if you like jump swing.

"rock-a-bye sweet baby James..." :devil:

Keith Jarrett is another great jazz pianist to listen to...pure soulful playing. Depending on moods I love Stereolab, Jean Michael Jarre, and Philip Glass. Of course there's whats be mentioned and too much more to be mentioned.

I like staring at the dripping fountain in silence. Or, say, with Bruckner's 9th blowing the plaster off the ground-floor neighbour's ceiling.

Can't go wrong with Bruckner. I've been trying to get ahold of the sheet music for his string quintets.

Greek rembetika music provides a nice background for a drink or two. Not the sixties' electrified show-off style, but old recordings of Sotiria Bellou, Roza Eskenazy, Markos Vamvakaris etc.

During my first sip ever of absinthe I made sure to listen to Professor Longhair, the New Orleans pianist. It felt proper to listen to New Orleans music during my first absinthe.

I love so much music and so many different kinds of music that I have no set music rituals for absinthe...but Professor Longhair does seem to make frequent appearances while Im drinking.

Cyrus Chestnut is great! A bit underrated. If you like him, you should try Marcus Roberts.

And Keith Jarret is one of the most significant jazz pianist of the post-Coltrane period....probably THE pianist of the 80s and 90s. Among my all time favorites along with McCoy Tyner, Herbie Hancock, Cedar Walton, Monk, Bud Powell, Wynton Kelly.......and on and on and on....

The first time I had absinthe, a couple friends and I had a bad music party (including Morty from Fee Verte). We had a contest to see who could find the worst piece from the library. My friend Kathy won with Polka and Fugue from Schwanda the Piper, although the CD entitled "Bassoon Bon-Bons" was a close second.

Nowdays I just listen to what I'm listening to.

But in the early days of my absinthism, I put together special playlists ( I used to call them party-tapes out of habit ) of music that had an absinthe mood.

I followed Barnaby Conrad's advice for my first "formal" absinthe tasting, and listened to Eric Satie. I found a recording called "Satie in the Sahara" by the Gini Wilson Quartet, that has a snake-charmer flute, and adds an exotic, arabic smokiness to the Satie. Like the mixing of different herbs into a complex taste.

Then I added the "Hot Club de France", high-energy swing-jazz guitar and violin from virtuosos Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli. ( those of you that talked about the Squirrel Nuts won't hate this )

I mixed in some Zap Mama, for some contemporary french groove, a little reggeae for a nice, lingering finish...

I think I'll start with King Crimson for my Slerpis playlist.

PS- my first actual drink of absinthe wasn't formal at all. I had my new flask-size bottle of UE68 in my knapsack, and drank it at the beach with a girl named Stanna, with no sugar thank God ( it was the UE68, after all ) and bottled water in a plastic cup. It was one of the three or four best day/nights of my life.

I haven't begun to try and associate particular music with absinthe, but one of my favorite albums seems like a good fit:

"The Plateau Phase" by the band "Crispy Ambulance"

Hypnotic, moody, referred to as a "dark and ragged masterpiece". The band members include "Hawkwind" as one of their influences and this seems borne out in this album.

Not much of a jazz fan myself (more my wife's interest than mine). I do like the "Lounge Lizards" and a friend played some Ornette Coleman that appealed. Can't say any of it was absinthe-friendly, though.

I listen to a band called Squirrel Nut Zippers, anything in that vein is great.

Combustible Edison is cool.  Delta Blues is awesome as well.  Ellington, Fitzgerald, Brian Setzer.  Anybody ever hear of Lee Press-on and the Nails?  Fun stuff if you like jump swing.

"rock-a-bye sweet baby James..." :devil:

I'm a little more of the Nina Simone, Etta James type.

Been listening to Cyrus Chestnut, very good Jazz pianist.

All good choices.

I've got a few Radiohead ditties for the somber somnambulist in me (True Love Waits)...

Angry Grim appreciates Halo Sixteen...

If I'm drunk and live, I prefer Dean Martin tunes.