Sign in to follow this  
Brian Robinson

Boggysinthe

From the bogman himself:

I have sent him [Phil] several samples to give him a clue what that chosen absinthe was about and he carried on repeating the result of mine by using his big still. The first results were completely unsatisfactory, it seemed like it was not possible to downscale and upscale absinthe that easily. However, as the time was going by, we have come at Boggy blanche which was exactly what I was getting at home. Once the herb-bill was fixed, we have moved onto alcohol choice-Phil was sending me a sample of any alcohol he could get for my evaluation, approval, etc. Neutral alcohol was obviously a winner, although he has obtained a really smooth Burgundy distillate-but it would rise the costs of absinthe.

Colouration-every sample Phil was sending to me, I was colouring here and sending back to him and he was to colour the same way. and send back. When we were sure everything is as desired, Phil sent me a bigger sample of distiller's proof batch, which I have coloured here in Rzeszów and distributed amongst several people to get opinions-the most favourable review came from Artemis and generally they were very positive. I have gathered several different reviewers, including those not affiliated with any fora.

Then we started working on the label. I wanted to make it myself since, although distilled in France, the absinthe is entirely mine: recipe, methods, herb-bill, etc. There were some problems at the printer, but everything has been fixed. The label has been designed, drawn, inked and painted by me-it tells a certain story if one looks at the whole picture. As the launch of Boggy coincided with French law codification, hence we could use "extrait d'absinthe" on the back label and "absinthe" on the front one.

The process of making consists of four stages: maceration-distillation-colouration-aging. Currently we are working on the second batch of Boggy which might be a bit different in one department but it is too early to say anything decisive.

Review page here.

Hmmmm, I can't seem to find Boggysinth in my top 100 to buy. I'm sure someone will review it and I'll go from there.

I think it's just a personality issue on my end. :)

If it's good I'll give it an honest review if I ever get the chance, but I won't ever pay money for it.

Ah. Consider yourself lucky and save your time for an activity that you might get something useful out of. Like watching paint dry.

Absinthe authority aside, if it was available at a green hour I probably wouldn't bother with it.

After the history here, and his reviews, I really want to taste some of his work. I have no particular expectation. Am I really the only one here that's that gullible?

Yeah, I'd be curious to see if he actually can make something good considering his off-the-wall ideas and boundless arrogance. I'd have no expectations regarding quality one way or the other, only that I would be surprised if it weren't bizarre.

I received a complementary bottle from Boggy of this absinthe. I tried it last night. I don't post reviews or make comments based on the person or simply give false praise.

My initial impressions that I sent to Boggy and he has permitted me to quote from that private communication are this:

Yes this is the best absinthe you've made yet. It is very good. Thank you so very much for sharing it with me. It has a very strong minty wormwood and a well integrated flavor profile. The fennel works well with this absinthe. The flavors of the coloring herbs are in the background and integrated so it's difficult to say this herb, that herb. The mouthfeel is wonderful, very creamy. Seriously I really like this absinthe.

I know many people here continue to order from EU and if a bottle ends up in your cart, without knowing another's palate, I think people will like this absinthe.

Boggy is not the demon that some make him out to be, just as Gwydion is not the demon that certain others made him out to be. I haven't met either in person, but I feel quite confident in my assessment.

That's why people build prototypes, so they may learn from them.

I hope it's a delightful drink. Like I posted, I believe Boggy and I had clashing personalities. The best way for me to try it would be a blind tasting. No bias that way.

Thank you for the review DP. :cheers:

I'm glad, and not surprised to see open minds here! Fairness is so important if we are to remain credible.

It's important to support (at the very least, in spirit) anyone who is trying to do the right thing for absinthe, when so many are damaging absinthe for selfish and shallow reasons.

:cheers:

I'm with Peridot on this one. I've been turned on to some deliciousness through the boggster but I've also tasted some truly terrifying products from his kitchen. I'll gladly trade a review for a sample.

I was able to try Boggy's stuff once. That was enough for me.

I'm in the same boat as some of the others. I'd try this incarnation, but I'd never pay for it without sampling it first.

Edited by Phoenix

All bias aside, I'd really have to purposely try hard to skew the reviews as I'm doing them. I've been reviewing a few of my favorites, and a few absinthes that I already know I dislike (even for biased reasons) and I have ranked some of my favorites lower than I would have expected and a few others higher, because I had to focus on each element of the absinthe on its own, and wasn't able to make a kneejerk reaction of the absinthe as a whole.

That said, try it, not pay, etc. etc.

I had a glass of Boggy Absinthe last night. I need to revisit it when I return from RMGH before I review it. I will say that it was quite good. It's pretty clear he was shooting for something which evokes pre-ban, which it does, right down to the feuille morte golden-amber color.

For those of you with a history with Boggy, the challenge will be putting that aside and tasting with a fair and open mind. It's amazing how the tiniest pre-conceptions can affect our perceptions of an absinthe. Hmmm, or anything else in life for that matter. I'll post a review once it's listed.

It's pretty clear he was shooting for something which evokes pre-ban, which it does, right down to the feuille morte golden-amber color.

Scott, I don't mean to sound rude, but how much pre-ban experience do you have?

I ask because I remember the blind tasting that you held rated Walton Waters higher then pre-ban Pernod Fils. Now I love WW and would recommend it to anyone, but really?

I also find it equally hard to believe that this new absinthe from Boggy can evoke thoughts of pre-ban. The absinthe I've had from him was intended to be a pre-ban clone and it in no way, shape, or form held the slightest resemblance to pre-ban absinthe. In his mind he's been making faithful clones for years. Couple that with his stubbornness and I find it hard impossible to believe that he'd be willing to scrap all of his work and start over.

Of course, one must keep in mind that there were plenty of pre-ban absinthes that almost certainly would have tasted like :poop: .

I wouldn't be surprised if tansy even found its way into one or two of them.

Edited by Absomphe

I'll give you that, but I've never known Boggy to brag about creating a clone of any crap brands. Then again, I'm not on the cool people mailing list either. I lucked out in that department. :laugh:

Edited by Phoenix

Phoenix,

No insult taken. FYI, just because the tally at the event rated WW above the pre-ban in the blind-tasting doesn't mean that I did personally! I did not participate in the tasting, as it was not double-blind, and I knew what everything was. In fact, there were only three folks there out of 15 or 16 who had ever had a pre-ban, so I'm not surprised things were skewed. It was a last minute donation that I did not ask for, and I worked it in at the request of the donor.

I'm not certain that it is fair frankly, to have a pre-ban in the mix at a blind-tasting with modern commercial offerings. This is something I see in hindsight. It was an interesting experiment, but one I think that would have been better served if all involved had more evolved palates and experience. I love WW, but the pre-ban our benefactor shared was stunning. I admit, I've only had pre-ban about half a dozen times, and only 4 varieties of actual pre-ban, not including a vintage absenta that was about 60 years old. It is enough to glean however, this is what Boggy was shooting for. Also, Boggy's history is that of trying to reproduce pre-bans, as we know, so it isn't a giant mental leap to see the connections and his aspirations.

I honestly don't understand how not liking Boggy could impact one's tasting of his absinthe, unless one is intentionally, vindictively lying.

I do understand a bad experience with something itself (hangover from too much tequila, my own hatred of Napalm Death from a shitty show of theirs) causing a psychological gag reflex, but not liking the person who makes a product is a lot more of a tangential thing.

It seems that as people we tend to enjoy many products by people and companies we despise. Which is why I say I'd never buy his absinthe, but if I enjoyed it I would not be able to lie to myself about it.