Sign in to follow this  
Trauma_Hound

Moving on up - Good 2nd Absinthe

I know I haven't been very active around here, so please accept my deepest, and most insincere apologies.

Anyway, I've been drinking this Lucid for quite a while now. I know I originally planned on getting one of the Rue Verte samplers, but plans are often meant to change. I love the Lucid, but I do plan (there's that word again) on soon graduating to the next level of absinthe greatness. The Liquor Barn in Lexington, a good 2 hour drive, carries Vieux Carre, so I'm definitely considering making the trip to pick some up. On the other hand, the mail order route definitely offers a wider selection.

What do you guys recommend as a good step up from Lucid?

My short list includes:

• The Vieux Carre
  • Obsello
  • Duplais Verte
  • Mansinthe

Of course all suggestions are appreciated.

Come to think of it, my birthday's next month. I need to start dropping some hints around the house. :laugh:

Hey TH - I love me some Mansinthe - it can be your intro to the Matter Distillery, it's relatively cheap, and readily available.

I haven't tried the others, so I can't comment on them - check out the reviews.

Ask this group to order that list, and you'll get 24 permutations, seconded and thirded by a few folks. It's all about what you like in an absinthe, perhaps what you like at the moment you're pouring your glass.

I like the Matter absinthes, but I'd only put the Duplais verte above Obsello, leaving Mansinthe right where it is. And depending on how recent your VC is, it could rank anywhere in that list for me.

Your on the right track with the ones you named. Any of those have fans here. My own preferences change, depending on what I think will hit the spot at any given time. Absinthes change slightly batch to batch, and change with time in the bottle. Think of any bottle you buy as an adventure and have fun exploring!

I tried Mansinthe for the first time tonight and I found it relatively on par with Lucid but a different (better) flavor profile. Obsello is a cheaply priced favorite of mine and all the VC I've had is wonderful. Can't say much for Duplais Verte, haven't had that one yet.

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll more than likely end up getting the Vieux Carre next, since it's the most accessible right now, and it seems to be well liked. I guess it doesn't matter too much. I mean, as long as I use the reviews here as a reference, I can't really go wrong.

I just wish I wasn't so poor. I'd get out and buy 'em all!

I just wish I wasn't so poor. I'd get out and buy 'em all!

Pace yourself. This isn't a race. Enjoy each one for what it is. Drink with friends. :cheers:

This isn't a race.

Now he tells me. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you've made some very nice first nice selections. :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe

What do you guys recommend as a good step up from Lucid?

My short list includes:

• The Vieux Carre
  • Obsello
  • Duplais Verte
  • Mansinthe

Any of those are great options. I'd probably rank them pretty much like you listed them, too.

If you don't mind ordering online, lately I've been digging Ridge Verte from Ridge Distillery and Walton Waters from Delaware Phoenix.

If you want to take a trip down the pricier grape-based spirit side, Marteau of any of the Jade abinsthes are great choices. I think the Jade Nouvelle-Orleans is still available at DrinkUpNY.com, not sure where Marteau is available these days but I'm sure someone around here knows :)

A friend sent me a bottle of the Frog. I'll wait until Ron gets back tomorrow night and perhaps we can test drive the frog. ;)

I'm waiting on Ron because he has life saving/taking skills. :devil:

You really can't go wrong with any of the brands mentioned. It's all part of the journey...If you're like me, you'll end up trying them all sooner or later (or at least, trying to try them all)!

:cheerz:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to add Ridge Verte to that list, and I had completely forgotten about the Delaware Phoenix stuff, so there's another choice.

It looks like it's going to be quite an interesting ride!

I'm on my 2nd bottle of Obsello and I really find I prefer it to Mansinthe, personally. There's a powdery finish to Obsello that someone may or may not have told me is Hyssop-- I can see that bothering some people but it simply adds to the experience for me.

Still waiting on my Ridge to arrive after a mix-up (on my part) with my Caddell-Williams order so I can't add to that. I will give a big + to the Delaware Phoenix suggestions-- Meadow of Love is my favorite liquor of any kind.

I like the taste of Obsello, but it isn't very strong. Even without diluting it much, it still feels like it's lacking in that certain "kick" that I feel when drinking, say, Vieux Pontarlier or Mansinthe.

My favorite of all that people have mentioned here is the Delaware Phoenix Walton Waters. But maybe work your way up to that - it's a bit pricier than some of the others listed here. I'd say try Vieux Pontarlier, Vieux Carre, Mansinthe, or Pacifique.

I say try em all :cheers: Despite reviews you read if you can afford it, try it. It is your duty as an absintheur and when you get one you just can not stand, send samples out to others so we may suffer through it as you have. :arrr: If we never tried bad absinthe we would only have good reviews and then the really good absinthes wouldn't look so good in comparison.

Okay, here's an update. My birthday is coming up this Saturday, and I'm definitely going to be celebrating with a new absinthe (though not exactly on the day, just whenever it arrives), as I've decided to mail order through DUNY.

Anyway, after some research, some youtube, and reading reviews and throughout the forums, I've narrowed it down to either Obsello of Pacifique (unless something changes, don't hold me to it). And I really can't decide. On the one hand, the Obsello is about 20 bucks cheaper. But the Pacifique seems to have one hell of a reputation.

But then there's still the Duplais... Jesus! I'm like a kid in a candy store!

Pacifique is awesome. It really is one of the best, it's readily available, and the price is more than fair.

I seem to be one of the few who doesn't care much for Obsello. Not really sure how to describe it, the best I can come up with is "muddy". I think it's too heavy on the mint for me, and it overwhelms the bright, fresh flavors that I like in my absinthe. It's cheap for sure, but after finishing my first bottle, I'm not considering a second one.

One man's opinion ...

For me, Obsello is pleasant, but on the light side. Pacifique has so much more going for it and is in another league altogether ... that would be my choice between the two. :cheers:

Pacifique is the better absinthe.

Too bad you decided against Duplais Verte, though... definitely my favorite on your list of four.

If you get to the point of wanting to try something out of the ordinary, Corsair Red is produced in your state. (I'd probably suggest trying a few more traditional styles first, though, to get a taste for the fundamentals.) It takes absinthe in a slightly different direction. :cheerz:

Edited by sardonix

Yeah, Corsair is definitely on the agenda, but as you suggested I plan on trying more traditional varieties first. I actually haven't found it locally yet. You'd think it would be all over the state being produced here. Of course I haven't actually "looked" for it, or asked for it. If I run into it somewhere I'll more than likely dive right in. We'll see though.

:cheers: