• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Trauma_Hound

Trauma_Hound

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

I know I haven't been very active around here, so please accept my deepest, and most insincere apologies.

Anyway, I've been drinking this Lucid for quite a while now. I know I originally planned on getting one of the Rue Verte samplers, but plans are often meant to change. I love the Lucid, but I do plan (there's that word again) on soon graduating to the next level of absinthe greatness. The Liquor Barn in Lexington, a good 2 hour drive, carries Vieux Carre, so I'm definitely considering making the trip to pick some up. On the other hand, the mail order route definitely offers a wider selection.

What do you guys recommend as a good step up from Lucid?

My short list includes:
  • The Vieux Carre
  • Obsello
  • Duplais Verte
  • Mansinthe

Of course all suggestions are appreciated.

Come to think of it, my birthday's next month. I need to start dropping some hints around the house. :laugh:
I was up above it. Now I'm down in it.

#2 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

That list in that order would be just right I'd think. :thumbup:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#3 Herbaceous Vic

Herbaceous Vic

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:07 PM

Hey TH - I love me some Mansinthe - it can be your intro to the Matter Distillery, it's relatively cheap, and readily available.

I haven't tried the others, so I can't comment on them - check out the reviews.

#4 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:11 PM

I have all but the Mansinthe. Balance.....it's all about balance. ;)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#5 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

Ask this group to order that list, and you'll get 24 permutations, seconded and thirded by a few folks. It's all about what you like in an absinthe, perhaps what you like at the moment you're pouring your glass.

I like the Matter absinthes, but I'd only put the Duplais verte above Obsello, leaving Mansinthe right where it is. And depending on how recent your VC is, it could rank anywhere in that list for me.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#6 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:39 PM

Your on the right track with the ones you named. Any of those have fans here. My own preferences change, depending on what I think will hit the spot at any given time. Absinthes change slightly batch to batch, and change with time in the bottle. Think of any bottle you buy as an adventure and have fun exploring!

#7 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:42 PM

I tried Mansinthe for the first time tonight and I found it relatively on par with Lucid but a different (better) flavor profile. Obsello is a cheaply priced favorite of mine and all the VC I've had is wonderful. Can't say much for Duplais Verte, haven't had that one yet.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#8 Trauma_Hound

Trauma_Hound

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:27 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll more than likely end up getting the Vieux Carre next, since it's the most accessible right now, and it seems to be well liked. I guess it doesn't matter too much. I mean, as long as I use the reviews here as a reference, I can't really go wrong.

I just wish I wasn't so poor. I'd get out and buy 'em all!

#9 DesertWolf

DesertWolf

Absinthe Geek

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

I have all but the Mansinthe. Balance.....it's all about balance. ;)

mmmmmmm Balance..... good stuff :thumbup:
Looking for absinthe near you? Check The Absinthe Finder

I start to feel like I am in an existentialist play written by a person with multiple personality disorder...

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." -- Philip K. Dick

"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart." -- ee cummings

#10 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:29 AM

I just wish I wasn't so poor. I'd get out and buy 'em all!

Pace yourself. This isn't a race. Enjoy each one for what it is. Drink with friends. :cheers:

#11 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,601 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:50 AM

This isn't a race.

Now he tells me. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you've made some very nice first nice selections. :cheers:

Edited by Absomphe, 12 June 2011 - 07:56 AM.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#12 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:25 AM

What do you guys recommend as a good step up from Lucid?

My short list includes:

• The Vieux Carre
  • Obsello
  • Duplais Verte
  • Mansinthe

Any of those are great options. I'd probably rank them pretty much like you listed them, too.

If you don't mind ordering online, lately I've been digging Ridge Verte from Ridge Distillery and Walton Waters from Delaware Phoenix.

If you want to take a trip down the pricier grape-based spirit side, Marteau of any of the Jade abinsthes are great choices. I think the Jade Nouvelle-Orleans is still available at DrinkUpNY.com, not sure where Marteau is available these days but I'm sure someone around here knows :)

#13 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

My order for that list would be:

Duplais Verte
Mansinthe
VC
Obsello

Not that it matters though.

#14 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

Pacifique is easy on the wallet, and wonderful on the palate!

Ridge & Delaware stuff should also be on your list.

#15 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:51 PM

True, true and true! :thumbup:

#16 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,601 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Indeed!!!

Also, as far as imports are concerned, La Grenouille is a must try.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#17 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

A friend sent me a bottle of the Frog. I'll wait until Ron gets back tomorrow night and perhaps we can test drive the frog. ;)

I'm waiting on Ron because he has life saving/taking skills. :devil:

#18 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:08 PM

You really can't go wrong with any of the brands mentioned. It's all part of the journey...If you're like me, you'll end up trying them all sooner or later (or at least, trying to try them all)!
:cheerz:
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#19 Trauma_Hound

Trauma_Hound

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to add Ridge Verte to that list, and I had completely forgotten about the Delaware Phoenix stuff, so there's another choice.

It looks like it's going to be quite an interesting ride!

#20 StevePrime

StevePrime

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

I'm on my 2nd bottle of Obsello and I really find I prefer it to Mansinthe, personally. There's a powdery finish to Obsello that someone may or may not have told me is Hyssop-- I can see that bothering some people but it simply adds to the experience for me.

Still waiting on my Ridge to arrive after a mix-up (on my part) with my Caddell-Williams order so I can't add to that. I will give a big + to the Delaware Phoenix suggestions-- Meadow of Love is my favorite liquor of any kind.
"flaming absinthe cocktail was probably the classiest thing I've ever had."
-Overheard on Twitter

Twitter: StevePrime
Facebook: StevePrime

#21 stardust

stardust

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

I like the taste of Obsello, but it isn't very strong. Even without diluting it much, it still feels like it's lacking in that certain "kick" that I feel when drinking, say, Vieux Pontarlier or Mansinthe.

My favorite of all that people have mentioned here is the Delaware Phoenix Walton Waters. But maybe work your way up to that - it's a bit pricier than some of the others listed here. I'd say try Vieux Pontarlier, Vieux Carre, Mansinthe, or Pacifique.

#22 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

I say try em all :cheers: Despite reviews you read if you can afford it, try it. It is your duty as an absintheur and when you get one you just can not stand, send samples out to others so we may suffer through it as you have. :arrr: If we never tried bad absinthe we would only have good reviews and then the really good absinthes wouldn't look so good in comparison.
Absinthe Veritas, Distiller Probitas. These are the things we fight for.

#23 Trauma_Hound

Trauma_Hound

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

Okay, here's an update. My birthday is coming up this Saturday, and I'm definitely going to be celebrating with a new absinthe (though not exactly on the day, just whenever it arrives), as I've decided to mail order through DUNY.

Anyway, after some research, some youtube, and reading reviews and throughout the forums, I've narrowed it down to either Obsello of Pacifique (unless something changes, don't hold me to it). And I really can't decide. On the one hand, the Obsello is about 20 bucks cheaper. But the Pacifique seems to have one hell of a reputation.

But then there's still the Duplais... Jesus! I'm like a kid in a candy store!

#24 bksmithey

bksmithey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

Pacifique is awesome. It really is one of the best, it's readily available, and the price is more than fair.

I seem to be one of the few who doesn't care much for Obsello. Not really sure how to describe it, the best I can come up with is "muddy". I think it's too heavy on the mint for me, and it overwhelms the bright, fresh flavors that I like in my absinthe. It's cheap for sure, but after finishing my first bottle, I'm not considering a second one.

One man's opinion ...

#25 Bluewolf Pete

Bluewolf Pete

Multifunctional items are definitely favored

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:09 PM

For me, Obsello is pleasant, but on the light side. Pacifique has so much more going for it and is in another league altogether ... that would be my choice between the two. :cheers:
If you want thujone, fuck off and go eat sage ~ Ron

"Let's louche these bitches up and party!" ~ Fingerpickinblue

Beware La Machine à décerveler! Oops, too late ...

#26 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:25 PM

I'd get the Pacifique over the Obsello, too.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#27 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

Pacifique is the better absinthe.

Too bad you decided against Duplais Verte, though... definitely my favorite on your list of four.
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#28 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:14 AM

If you get to the point of wanting to try something out of the ordinary, Corsair Red is produced in your state. (I'd probably suggest trying a few more traditional styles first, though, to get a taste for the fundamentals.) It takes absinthe in a slightly different direction. :cheerz:

Edited by sardonix, 02 July 2011 - 06:16 AM.

I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#29 Trauma_Hound

Trauma_Hound

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:58 AM

Yeah, Corsair is definitely on the agenda, but as you suggested I plan on trying more traditional varieties first. I actually haven't found it locally yet. You'd think it would be all over the state being produced here. Of course I haven't actually "looked" for it, or asked for it. If I run into it somewhere I'll more than likely dive right in. We'll see though.
:cheers:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association