Photo

Did Le Tourment Vert go out of business?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#31 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

Yup. I had a client yesterday who had REAL absinthe, that his best friend makes from kits.
If he hadn't been such a dick about it, I would have poured him some of the good stuff, but he wasn't worth wasting it, and likely would not have appreciated it anyway. Sometimes it's worth the time to tell folks what's up, other times it's a losing battle.

Cast not pearls before ... :)

Edited by Miguel, 10 June 2011 - 10:40 AM.

#32 detroit442

detroit442

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:26 AM

Hi all, I'm new to the board but not to Absinthe. I have also run afoul of the dreaded LTV. I should have known better. I should have read the label. Maybe I was seduced by the bottle. Anyway, this stuff makes my eyes itch and I have warned everyone, with whom I have Absinthe related conversations with, to avoid this brand.

#33 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,170 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:31 AM

Ahhh, a veteran LTV sipper. Now youv'e done it and got it out of the way.

I'd like to take a moment and invite you to the newcomers section to build a thread about yourself so we can welcome you all proper like. Thanks.

:cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#34 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:43 AM

Listen to the manatee, for he is wise. His derailing abilities are legendary. :-)

#35 Wayek

Wayek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

remember when they were going to re do the formula? whatever happened with that...
nasty prisms good sir

#36 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:43 PM

They poo-pooed the idea because all they wanted to do was change just enough to have us say that it was absinthe. Not good absinthe, just absinthe. But the recommendations I had would have cost them too much money apparently, so they thumbed their noses at it. There's a lot more to the story, but that's enough, I guess.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#37 stardust

stardust

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

They poo-pooed the idea because all they wanted to do was change just enough to have us say that it was absinthe. Not good absinthe, just absinthe. But the recommendations I had would have cost them too much money apparently, so they thumbed their noses at it. There's a lot more to the story, but that's enough, I guess.

I want to know the "a lot more" to the story.

#38 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

Sift around the site. There's a bunch of dirt to dig up. For the sake of the zombies, I won't link any, but it's there.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#39 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,170 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

LTV was crap. Tweaking the recipe would make it a different crap. In my opinion, they couldn't fix LTV and still call it Le Tourment Vert.

It sucked so bad that I sent the bottle northwest for a friend to use as a bad example. I tried one glass. I paid too much for it. Well, I traded for it and Fredfry got the far better end of that deal. It was the first bottle appearing on this forum I think. I was the biggest sucker at that time. I used to strike quick and hope for the best but now I take my time and just see how things roll. I read reviews.

A lesson learned. It reminded me of Nyquil but in a nicer bottle. I have a sample bottle an in-law sent me but I just use it as a paper weight and try not to let anyone know I have it. I'm truly embarrassed.

That may not have answered your question. I didn't see any sense in sugar coating.

:poop: is :poop: no matter how much you try to polish it.

Just my $.02

*puts the soap box away*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#40 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,418 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

LTV was crap.

You'd better hope Mr. Hankie the Christmas Poo doesn't know where you live. :laugh:

Edited by Absomphe, 12 June 2011 - 05:14 PM.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#41 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

I was just looking at my reviews and someone gave me a "not helpful" for my LTV review.

I thought I was being very kind with my 1.3 rating...
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#42 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

Probably was Minott himself.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#43 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,418 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

If not, almost certainly someone at least connected with the brand.

That kind of thing happens all too often.

Edited by Absomphe, 12 June 2011 - 05:18 PM.

#44 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

They did the same to Tatan's as well, and I felt his poem was especially touching (and I don't even like poetry.) :laf:
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#45 Scott M.

Scott M.

Advanced can't re-member

• 3,271 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

Ambear, the same thing happened with my Strong 68 review... All that matters is that we say how we feel.
Folks with agendas, good or bad, will vote how they want, right or wrong.
-Life is nature's way of keeping food fresh.
http://www.absintheantiques.net

#46 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,702 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

LTV was crap.

You'd better hope Mr. Hankie the Christmas Poo doesn't know where you live. :laugh:

Howdy Ho children.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#47 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:10 PM

They did the same to Tatan's as well, and I felt his poem was especially touching (and I don't even like poetry.) :laf:

One of the most amusing reviews I've read here.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#48 Wayek

Wayek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

I think it was last year on the harmony central forum one of my friends was telling me he was all excited cause he just bought a bottle of absinthe and really likes it.. I asked him what kind he bought and he couldnt read the label so he took a picture of it for me...

LTV

I did one of these.. Posted Image

after I told him what to look for and what not to look for what does he grab next?

Hill's

again.. Posted Image
nasty prisms good sir

#49 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,170 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

You can only do so much. Don't beat yourself up. ;)

#50 Wayek

Wayek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

it's too late ... I already kicked my own ass
nasty prisms good sir

#51 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

at least he didn't make my mistake and try Mata Hari :puke: this can't even be considered bad absinthe. Its not absinthe at all, its big red gum D:
Absinthe Veritas, Distiller Probitas. These are the things we fight for.

#52 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

you just can not beat La charlotte for a cheap affordable absinthe. I tried with Mata hari only being $37 but nowhere close. Ill stick to my $30 La charlotte when i need a bargain absinthe.

#53 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,727 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

at least he didn't make my mistake and try Mata Hari :puke: this can't even be considered bad absinthe. Its not absinthe at all, its big red gum D:

Mata Hari is several degrees closer to absinthe than Hills or LTV.

All three kinda suck though.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#54 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,418 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

Kinda?

Your magnanimity is only equaled by...

Probably nothing. :laugh:

#55 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

Beyond me why would anyone buy crap. Even in my absinthe starved state, you can get VC, Lucid, & Tenneyson. (I don't like Gin, so the last one is out for me). No 4.0+ wonders, but quite drinkable, especially the VC.

#56 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

Its about having the balls, the fortitude and stupidity to try something new despite the higher quality brands that you have already tasted tried and true sitting right next to it on the shelf. :arrr:

#57 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

Beyond me why would anyone buy crap.

Crap, yes. But lesser absinthes to get familiar with the range is another thing.

Its about having the balls, the fortitude and stupidity to try something new despite the higher quality brands that you have already tasted tried and true sitting right next to it on the shelf. :arrr:

And maybe the desire for a broad range of knowledge on the subject. Here's a quote from a post of mine back when I first got here.

Next (and this is my salient point), I think to really know any area of the beverage world well, you need to know the range of that particular beverage. In other words, you need to know the good, very good, and fine, to understand what makes truly "classic", classic. You have my permission to skip the dreck!

When I was younger, I had a real thing for Champagne. However, because I had a particularly successful business at the time, and was making more money than someone at my age should, I made the common mistake of trying only the top (and expensive) bottles. One day a very kind employee of one of my area's top wine stores, kindly suggested to me what I just postulated above. And I'm glad he did. Funny, these days my favorite Champagnes include almost anything other than those expensive offerings that I used to covet, and yet I now understand what makes them what they are. BTW, that store is now one of my top customers, and we still enjoy learning from each other.

Sometimes I think that people that start with all the top offerings, without having tried more modest absinthes, are missing out on an essential part of the process.

#58 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

I can dig that.
Besides, learning is a really cool process. I enjoyed trying the Spanish mixes and even found many laughs in tasting the crapsinths. The cheap tastings not only gave me an appreciation but wonderful shared memories with friends.

#59 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

What's really eye-opening is having a glass of a bottom shelf absinthe followed by one from one of the better brands out there. Things I don't normally pay a lot of attention to suddenly jump out.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#60 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

And sometimes comparisons that are not nearly as stark can be "eye-opening", as well. This past weekend, after tasting LDF Absinthe Suisse La Verte to complete my review, I decided to taste Jade Edouard again. Even though, in my opinion, the Edouard is a much finer absinthe, I was surprised that the LDF wasn't embarrassed by it (or at least I don't think it was!). And yes, in my opinion, the Jade enjoys a finer herb bill and herb quality level (really every ingredient), but the most interesting difference, to me, was the difference in overall structure, texture, and framework. It's just a much more firmly put together absinthe.

Once, I tasted this and this side by side. Interestingly, in spite of the price difference (Perfection is now about $7500.00 a bottle and Noces D'Or is about $215.00 a bottle), and because of the well defined house style of A. Hardy, I could taste more similarities than differences on the first couple of passes. It was only after three or four sips that I was able to clearly discern the superiority of the Perfection.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association