Photo

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING HOME PAGE REVIEWS. READ THIS.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,256 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

If you want to do absinthe reviews on the home page and have not yet registered there, now would be a good time to do so because I plan to disable site registration in a few days. That's home page registration, not forum registration. If you plan to register, please use your current forum name or some form of your real name such as B. Smith or Bob S. The point being to avoid having a lot of different user names floating around for the same person.

We will no longer be accepting registrations for reviews by non-forum members. The large majority of people registered on the home page don't do reviews, and in fact most have never logged in. Out of over 1000 people, more than 600 have never logged in. These have now been deleted. People registering in the last 60 days or so were left a little longer to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'll be attempting to migrate the site to a new server soon and will also be upgrading the home page and forum software. Once the migration is complete, you will (hopefully) be able to log on to do reviews with your current forum user name and password.

Cheers,
~ G

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,795 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

:cheers:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 Jay

Jay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

If you plan to register, please use your current forum name or some form of your real name such as B. Smith or Bob S.

Posted Image

#4 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

:cheers:

#5 LadyCarmilla

LadyCarmilla

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

Hi Gwydion,

I am new to the forums - just signed up this weekend. Nice to meet you :wave2:

I have 2 questions:

1- It is appropriate for newbies to absinthe like me to write reviews? Naturally, they will not be as detailed as some of the ones I have seen around, but I would be happy to contribute anyway I can.

2- If it would be better that I waited for some time until I have developed some skills, do I sign up now and wait some months to write the reviews, or just wait until you open the registration again?
"Absinthe is the aphrodisiac of the self. The green Fairy who lives in the absinthe wants your soul. But you are safe with me" - Gary Oldman as Dracula

#6 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:05 AM

I've been having a problem consistently logging in to the reviews section. I can get in with the initial password, but the next day I'll try and it rejects the password, even when I've been sent a new one (on two different occasions). Should I re-register? My current account has a slightly different username than my forum account.
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#7 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,256 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:21 AM

@LadyCarmilla: Hello, and welcome to the forum. :cheers:

1- It is appropriate for newbies to absinthe like me to write reviews? Naturally, they will not be as detailed as some of the ones I have seen around, but I would be happy to contribute anyway I can.

It's perfectly appropriate for newcomers to write reviews and score absinthes. Just read the review tutorial carefully and follow the criteria guidelines and you should be fine.

2- If it would be better that I waited for some time until I have developed some skills, do I sign up now and wait some months to write the reviews, or just wait until you open the registration again?

It would be better to wait until you're ready to do a review.

@Sardonix: The only thing I can think of that would cause intermittent failure is mis-keying your password. We have a bug for new registrations where the new person can't log in at all, but after an admin does a quick fix, everything work normally, permanently. If you like, you can change your password in your User Details panel rather than use the bizarre automatically-generated password. I hope that helps.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#8 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

Ooo! Does that mean we'll be able to go directly from the forum user to their reviews? Luckily my login/password are already identical...should smooth the transition.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#9 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,256 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:09 PM

Does that mean we'll be able to go directly from the forum user to their reviews?

Keep your fingers crossed!

www.absinthemarteau.com

#10 LadyCarmilla

LadyCarmilla

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:17 AM

"We have a bug for new registrations where the new person can't log in at all"

This is precisely what has happened to me. Should I let someone in particular know about this, or will it be eventually fixed?
"Absinthe is the aphrodisiac of the self. The green Fairy who lives in the absinthe wants your soul. But you are safe with me" - Gary Oldman as Dracula

#11 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

Junkyard Dog

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

Lady Carmilla, this thread is devoted to that issue, posting there should get things rolling for you. I look forward to seeing those reviews. :cheers:

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#12 LadyCarmilla

LadyCarmilla

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

Hi Tatan, thanks very much!

#13 Mat B.

Mat B.

The Gentleman of Verona

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:28 PM

Keeping it current. Nice move G.
"I will show you something different from either Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
-The Waste Land

“…and it’s appropriate to serve them, as long as you serve them appropriately.”
-Jules

#14 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

I noticed that most of the reviews seem to be listed by name now, though mine is still using my username (I looked at my settings and my name is in there). Is there a way to switch this over to use my name?

Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#15 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,256 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Assuming that you want to use Amber Peter as your user name, I've just taken care of it.  If that's not what you wanted, I've just screwed up.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#16 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Thanks!  :worshippy: