L'Artisanale and Wormwood Blanche

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#31 Marrow

Marrow

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:06 AM

I'm thinking of just sticking the bottle away to use to introduce people to absinthe. It's a great way of explaining why I don't drink Pastis instead.

#32 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:24 AM

Indeed.
Ummm, nice avatar. ;)

#33 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 20,283 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:44 AM

Indeed.

It's like, "Honey, I shrunk the Domino's Pizza box." :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#34 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

Ok, reviews are done. To me L'A builds on WWB. I'm I wrong for loving the flavor of the WWB without sugar?

BIG question. There is something in the smell and taste that stands out and is unique to these two. Not bad, but a touch distracting. I would urge the maker not to change it, as it made the experience unique to me. What is that smell/taste? After comparing with my Biondi, I don't think it's a base related thing.

#35 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

No you're not wrong I loved it too. :cheers:

Unbalanced and strong as it may be which caused me to dock some points. Much the same way I like St. George but docked points for it's funkyness.

I believe both are from the Pernot distillery which may explain similarities in smell and some flavor characteristics.

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#36 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:38 PM

Yeah, I think L'Artisanale builds on the wormwood blanche. Sucks to know it is history. I feel like Jeremy Clarkson after driving the Veyron.

#37 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:36 PM

I'm just still pinning for the L'Artisanale I fell in love with Sunday. Saddly, it will be a one night stand for me.

#38 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,254 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

They were both pretty tasty. In the mean time, we have such a nice bunch of domestic absinthe to choose from. Just sayin'.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#39 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

I just told myself I should type up those reviews, but then I remembered I put them up yesterday. I'm blaming the sangria.

I think they're a great example of really good absinthes once they started becoming popular again, but prior to having a ton of amazing brands saturating the market. I like reading the Top 10 Commercial Absinthes thread to see which are standing the test of time and which were just really good based off of the other choices (lesser of two evils.) I am a little disappointed these aren't still available though.

Edited by Ambear, 12 July 2011 - 04:43 PM.

Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#40 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:25 AM

David should put you on his marketing team Brian, those free samples just cost me $143. Silly I know, but I was brainwashed I tell you!!
That kills my hooch budget for 6-8 weeks. Thankfully I got plenty of Pacifique and Rdige to see me through.

#41 eric

eric

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:31 AM

I'm just still pinning for the L'Artisanale I fell in love with Sunday. Saddly, it will be a one night stand for me.

Still got a couple of bottles of it here. You come to Austin for a visit, and I will pour you one on me.
I don’t like hanging round where the gossip is loud
But today I would die for anyone - C Stiles, "Stupid Café"

#42 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:44 AM

..Edited to avoid Hedon's wrath..

Thank you kindly. sounds like a deal, I don't know when I'll next be in Austin, but I love that town. Wish I could partake in all the revelry going on in Lake Travis this weekend.
I got rooms for the F1 race, but I sure hope to visit before then.
I met kasejin and his lovely companion (Don't remeber names onacuz I got sloshed on VC, herbsainte, and hg), and I sure would love to meet up with y'all over some glasses.

Edited by Miguel, 15 July 2011 - 07:45 AM.

#43 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:46 AM

So, can somone clue in a noob on what a proper louche is, and why would it matter to me (since I'm more worried about aroma, falvor, and finish)?

#44 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

Here ya go, Miguel.

Odd that you should ask. Brian Robinson and I were kicking around the subject just a little yesterday. I mentioned that we should resurrect the discussion about the review scoring and even specifically mentioned the louche in our exchange.

Hmmm, should we start a new thread or breathe new life in a defunct one? :g:

#45 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

I ask, because in my 'review' of L'A I docked their louche for being too thick and not as pretty as Pacifique/VC, yet I loved the aroma/flavor/finnish. In my handwritten notes I put " Louche and color be damned, this shit smell/tastes fucking awesome!!" I cleaned it up for the online version.

Edited by Miguel, 18 July 2011 - 09:47 AM.

#46 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:45 AM

I've been using the overall to balance the other elements...if the color and louche were ok (3's), but the really important stuff like flavor and smell was great (4's or 5's), I'd probably bump my overall up to cover for the color not being ideal, the louche being slightly too thick, etc. That's not to say I'd give it an overall of 5 if there was a 3 elsewhere in the rating, but I'd be sure to give it a 4 if I felt like it shouldn't be judged on the 3 stars I rated it elsewhere.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#47 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

The L'a had a creamier feel than Pacifique, is this related to the louche, or is that an old wives' tale?

BTW in the heat I prefer the Pacifique, but in milder weather, the creamier feel sure would be nice.

#48 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

I haven't had Pacifique in some time...although there was some discussion that we should just finish off what we have left. It's probably been a few months since I've had any.

Is it bad that I get tickled every time someone feels the need to rate my reviews as unhelpful? Particularly on a retired brand...geez. :laugh:

Website | Blog | Twitter

#49 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

The review system is weighted. Even though when you're reviewing an item you have a choice from one to five stars in each category, not every category counts for the same amount.

Color 16%
Louche 16%
Aroma 18%
Flavor 20%
Finish 10%
Overall 20%

So a one star difference in louche is less significant than a one star difference in aroma, flavour, or overall.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#50 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

What you guys are talking about echos what Brian and I discussed, too. I prefer a thick louche (obviously ;) ) over a thin, watery louche. I have always felt the "overly thick louche was in response to cheaper absinthes that use star anise or anise oil. I work very hard to get a nice thick louche and if someone wants to knock my hooch down, that's fine. What I personally can't stand is an absinthe that requires painstakingly slow, ice cold water drips to coax a tiny louche. Screw that, I won't waste my time but I recognize that it is so much a personal taste issue, too.

I don't think the louche causes the mouthfeel so much as that the louche and mouthfeel are indicators of ample anethol.

#51 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

So is opallesence necessary, or just an old way to slam star anise users, that accidentaly slams proper thick louche producers? I'd hate to slam a proper thick louche, when the requirement for opallesence was meant to ward improper thick louches. If that makes any sense.

Edited by Miguel, 18 July 2011 - 10:18 AM.

#52 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

I admit to marking your verte louche down. :paperbag3: I would have loved to watch it for a while longer...but I would have given it an extra half a star if I could have. Maybe I should just make myself a huge glass so it takes a little longer. :laugh:

Besides, I wouldn't want to have a full 5 stars on everything go to your head. ;)

As far as the proper thick louche vs. improper thick louche, I dunno if you've tried Kübler or St. George...they both have these massively thick louches but they feel and look weird. It's almost like milk was used to louche the absinthe instead of water.

Website | Blog | Twitter

#53 Hedonmonkey

Hedonmonkey

Minx the Monkey

• 3,552 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

I personally can't stand is an absinthe that requires painstakingly slow, ice cold water drips to coax a tiny louche.

No doubt about that, you could hit a glass of Ridge verte with a fire hose and it'd louche up fine! :thumbup: :wave2:

:heart: it!

Now twenty people got to squeeze inside the same bathtub, so it ain't all bad.  ~Tank Girl

If you're riding my ass, you'd best be pulling my hair.

#54 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

I admit to marking your verte louche down

Ah hah! So you're the culprit! ;)

I wouldn't dare pretend to know all the answers. I think Marteau and Pacifique have a beautiful louche that shimmers with opalecence. Whether that was purposeful or not, only they can answer. For me, that's not high on the priority list. I sincerely try to improve my absinthe and gin with every distillation. When I have it tasting exactly like I want it to taste, I might become more concerned with a lighter louche but I doubt it. I think there is also room for variety, too.

#55 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

word!

I need to edit mine. I put the common taste bewteen WWBlanche and L'a as pisco. WRONG! I'm guessing it's is the same Wormwood that I taste. I taste something similar in the Ridge Blanche, and I doubt you share a base with the other two. :)

#56 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

You know, strangely enough I have to break out the whips and ropes to get Marteau to behave for me, but it's so worth it when it does. I'm blaming the altitude.

word!

I need to edit mine. I put the common taste bewteen WWBlanche and L'a as pisco. WRONG! I'm guessing it's is the same Wormwood that I taste. I taste something similar in the Ridge Blanche, and I doubt you share a base with the other two. :)

I feel like the wormwood profile between the L'A and Ridge are tastily similar. The WW was a bit more of an onslaught, and it was difficult for me to distinguish. And then Tatan snuck the rest like a kid with fresh baked cookies in the kitchen while mom's on the phone. :dry:

Website | Blog | Twitter

#57 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

I'm of two minds about how a louche should look (look meaning after it's finished as I've stopped critiquing louche action). If it's a wormwood-forward absinthe, which is my preference, then I'm willing to accept a thin louche. If it's more traditional I expect it to be full, and if it's really full that's fine. My definition of "overly thick" is badiane leaving anethole scum on the glass.

If it looks good but causes a bad mouth-feel or flavour I'll mark it off there rather than on appearance.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#58 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

I taste something similar in the Ridge Blanche, and I doubt you share a base with the other two. :)

I don't think so. We use Grain Neutral Spirits for our absinthe and gin. I toyed with a grape base but the cost is so prohibitive and we were doing everything possible to keep the cost down. Neither WW or L'A use Montana wormwood, either. Beyond that, I don't know their sources for other herbs so I can't comment on it.

#59 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

me feels i was overly harsh with L'a louche. It is very thick, but it did taste very good.

#60 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:39 AM

I ask, because you gotta keep in mind that six months ago, a bottle of Perond et Fils 1910 could have hit me on the head, and I would have not known what it was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association